Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fluent 2.5 y/o suddenly stuttering- cause for concern?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 7:44 pm
My 2.5 year old son is very verbal and speaks in full, coherent, complex sentences. Over the last few days, I've noticed that he developed a distinct stutter.

What could this be? Should I be concerned?

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 7:45 pm
It can be an actual stutter. This is the age where it would emerge. Wait a little bit to see what happens, and then get him approved for speech if needed.
Don't make him nervous about it, because it will make it worse.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 7:46 pm
You can also check for strep or other infections. My son stutters in response to strep. It goes away with antibiotics.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
You can also check for strep or other infections. My son stutters in response to strep. It goes away with antibiotics.

That wouldn't shock me, considering that he does seem a bit sick. I think I might take him to the pediatrician, or at least monitor symptoms.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That wouldn't shock me, considering that he does seem a bit sick. I think I might take him to the pediatrician, or at least monitor symptoms.

If it my be strep, why not go tomorrow?

pooki

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:00 pm
This has happened with two of my children. Stuttering can occur when a toddler's desire to speak exceeds their speech and language abilities. When this happens, toddlers can begin to stutter until their spoken language skills have caught up.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:03 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
If it my be strep, why not go tomorrow?

I suspect that a strep test (even overnight) will come up negative because the symptoms may not be bad enough. He doesn't have a fever. I'll call the doctor tomorrow and see what he says.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:04 pm
pooki wrote:
This has happened with two of my children. Stuttering can occur when a toddler's desire to speak exceeds their speech and language abilities. When this happens, toddlers can begin to stutter until their spoken language skills have caught up.

He hasn't had that, though. He can express everything he wants. As I said, he's extremely verbal. He sounds like a 4-year-old. We were just marveling over his expressiveness.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I suspect that a strep test (even overnight) will come up negative because the symptoms may not be bad enough. He doesn't have a fever. I'll call the doctor tomorrow and see what he says.

That's not how strep tests work. If strep is there, it will be detected.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:06 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

That has been my experience with strep tests, and I've seen others here say the same thing.

momsrus

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:21 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

You’re more likely to get a positive if you wait a bit because there will be more bacteria. If you go too early it might come back negative.

pooki

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 8:30 pm
I should have mentioned that my children at the time were also very verbal children. It lasted between a 2 weeks to a month.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:51 pm
I’ve also had kids go thru stages like this when their brains raced faster than they could get words out.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:51 pm
Several of my children began to stutter at some point, always around 2-3 years old. Their speech therapist said to ignore it completely. Commenting on the stutter makes them feel pressure and could make it worse. Just give them time to get the words out, and the stutter disappears in a few weeks.

It is possible that the stutter will continue, as some children are stutterers, but usually it does go away. If you see that it doesn't after a couple of months, then you can look into speech therapy for it.

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:57 pm
Hi, I'm a SEIT.

I agree with ignoring it as don't want to make the child nervous or self-concious.
Also, don't try to finish his sentences - be patient and let him finish his thoughts.

Not uncommon, especially in children that young.

Usually goes away by itself.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:57 pm
I’m a speech therapist. It most likely isn’t a real stutter. Don’t draw any attention to it or finish his sentences for him.
Only thing to consider is- did he experience any life-changing events? Or suffer any trauma lately?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:07 pm
This is so funny. I'm going through the same thing with my 3 yr old. He says everything but very unclear and all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago he started stuttering. I don't think its strep bec I just brought him to the Dr on Thursday and she said he's fine besides for a little congestion. I really hope it passes quickly. Thanks for all your insight.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:27 pm
As a speech therapist, my recommendation is to ignore it. Don't help him finish his sentences, don't look impatient, and keep the atmosphere relaxed. Many children experience bouts of stuttering at that age. It usually just passes.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:30 pm
My 3 year old son had it as a reaction to starting a new school. From the anxiety.
As the year progressed it got better.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:58 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I’m a speech therapist. It most likely isn’t a real stutter. Don’t draw any attention to it or finish his sentences for him.
Only thing to consider is- did he experience any life-changing events? Or suffer any trauma lately?

We've been basically ignoring it.

No. In fact, he just finished going to day camp, which was his first time in a setting with other children. I would have expected it during the day camp, but not afterward.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics