Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ami,mishpacha, hamodia,binah
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 12:30 am
none of the above. very poor reading material available. I find them all an utter waste of money and time. Between them all maybe theres one good article worth reading a week.

saramalka

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:04 am
I find Ami good most weeks

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:35 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Since you appreciate good writing and editing, that would be "the staff comprises..."

"Comprised of" is never correct.

Sorry, what? NEVER correct???

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionaries regard the form "comprised of" as standard English usage,[1][2][3]

dorothy1

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:37 am
Bina is geared just to women.
Of ami and mishoacha , ami is known to push the envelope more than mishpacha. That is a plus to some and minus to others. To me that’s the main difference and my deciding factor.
It seems like Ami is more popular amongst Hasidim (amongst those who get magazines) but that may be anecdotal .

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:58 am
ectomorph wrote:
What humor column? I read it cover to cover.
No idea what you're talking about but they do lightly rewrite their news briefs from AP and similar

And Yated is always publishing self critical letters. Including one of mine a few years back. I went thru a liberal phase in high school and castigated them for being too conservative and they printed it.

They had a humour article with no credit in the past 1-2 months about what a coffee commercial would look like if it was honest. It was word for word from here:

I sat after shabbos and opened up the transcript. I asked my DH I'm insane or not, and he looked at it too. I mean someone there has to KNOW about this youtube channel in order to do this.

I recognized another humour column with those few weeks also taken from a youtube skit.

It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I tried contacting them about it to get information, I sent them the link and all and no response.

Like hello someone just blew up in their inbox for one of their rabbi's mentioning they have internet. It's that type of magazine. I wonder if the people getting it know it's so influenced by secular culture.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:09 am
Is yated the same as יתד נאמן in Israel?
Because here it's a super conservative, very old school RW paper, and I can't imagine them printing anything humorous about addiction or fair trade, whether it is plagiarized or not.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:15 am
I don't know if it's still in print, but I used to LOVE the Zmanim periodical! They had great, interesting, well-researched articles

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:17 am
"Comprised of" has certainly been used in the English language as far back as the 16th century. Starting in the 18th century, some overly zealous grammarians tried to outlaw it, but it is still sometimes used. See https://www.merriam-webster.co.....ammar for a discussion.

Yummymummy3

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:54 am
Another Hamodia vote.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:56 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Is yated the same as יתד נאמן in Israel?
Because here it's a super conservative, very old school RW paper, and I can't imagine them printing anything humorous about addiction or fair trade, whether it is plagiarized or not.

It is very right wing. Like I said. That's why I was absolutely shocked to see that article.

Also I don't love how they have a shidduch panel every week and the responses they get. They ask questions to 8-10 shadchanim, teachers, etc and the answers just rub me the wrong way. Someone asked if they can take back a yes after they said yes to a girl when they decided she's not their type or something and the whole time I was thinking "This isn't a question of opinion. You need to ask a Rabbi! You committed to something..."

I just don't get how they are so RW but make these decisions that I don't think I'd see in the more modern magazines.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:08 am
LovesHashem, I read the Yated every week and I'm also not sure what you are referring to. Is it the "Noted and Quoted"? Which usually has a source? Maybe they get if from a service? (Which is what I would imagine).

I don't see any humor column? They reprint nationally syndicated articles but it's clear that those are not written by Yated writers. The other articles are either politics or divrei Torah, I don't see any other type of articles.

It may be that what is bothering you is that the standards in America are different than standards in Israel.

Also, I read secular literature as well as frum literature, and in my opinion quite a bit of frum literature is just repackaged secular.... not to mention that you can often read an entire article in a frum publication and the article is only quoting secular authors and I'm thinking, why don't I just read the original? Why do I need to buy a frum magazine to read this? I'd rather read it myself from the source, thank you very much...

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:09 am
Rappel wrote:
I don't know if it's still in print, but I used to LOVE the Zmanim periodical! They had great, interesting, well-researched articles

You mean Zman. Yes, it’s still in print. Zman is a monthly and runs a lot of longer articles. They recently introduced a sister magazine called Makif which covers one topic a month in depth.

And Nashim, which has been an online or pdf download digest, is starting a print edition this week. They're planning 8 issues this coming year.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anon because I feel a bit silly asking this, but I want to know about the frum magazines available. I don't live in the usa so a subscription will be expensive but I would really like to have something to read on a regular basis. (I sometimes pick up a magazine or 2 when I am in the states) can you tell me a little about each magazine and what they're topics are usually, who they are geared towards, and so on? Tia.

Which ones do you pick? By the cover or because you've read enough to feel good vibes?
Yated and Hamodia are the cheapest, respectively. They both offer a lot of reading. Yated comes across as the most yeshivish. There are a lot of columns that people gravitate to, the advice columns, the letters, other stuff. I find that their articles for recent niftarim are the best and very inspiring and I like Rabbi Hisiger's brief articles toward the middle, short inspiring stories. There's obviously a lot more worth reading. Oh, and there's weekly news, too, unlike Mishpacha, Ami, and Binah. (Though the first two will comment on news, and have topical articles.)

Hamodia over the years has become quite substantial, IMO, especially the Inyan magazine, with wonderful content. You might say Yated's the most yeshivish but Hamodia will remind the readers that they have a mandate and standards, which they seem to stick to. They keep you up to date on the news as well.

I will confess: I enjoy Mishpacha though they don't seem to have a clear mission statement. Some articles will bother me. But there is a lot of good reading that I'm not willing to give up so fast. They seem to be willing to take on issues but unlike Ami (these two magazines are the most similar) they won't be so sensational and take on the wrong side. Which brings me to Ami. I'll read it but I can't buy it. It's very edgy.

Binah is very sweet. Good reading. Great serials that - grrrr! - don't make it to book form. I can't spend a few hundred dollars to read (insert favorite author, don't want to offend others)'s newest serial, I just can't, but I would spend $25-30 on a book. Oh well. It's very much geared for the NY chassidish heimish crowd. It, most of all, is a women's magazine.

All of them have children's content. Yated and Hamodia don't have them as separate inserts. Hamodia's new format is awkward but I'm sure they had a cheshbon.

YMMV.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:14 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
LovesHashem, I read the Yated every week and I'm also not sure what you are referring to. Is it the "Noted and Quoted"? Which usually has a source? Maybe they get if from a service? (Which is what I would imagine).

I don't see any humor column? They reprint nationally syndicated articles but it's clear that those are not written by Yated writers. The other articles are either politics or divrei Torah, I don't see any other type of articles.

It may be that what is bothering you is that the standards in America are different than standards in Israel.

Also, I read secular literature as well as frum literature, and in my opinion quite a bit of frum literature is just repackaged secular.... not to mention that you can often read an entire article in a frum publication and the article is only quoting secular authors and I'm thinking, why don't I just read the original? Why do I need to buy a frum magazine to read this? I'd rather read it myself from the source, thank you very much...

It was in the smaller magazine. They don't have humour every week. I think it's every other week or every 3 weeks. It's written as an article not a new blurb. I think there is a difference between reprinting news items in a NEWSpaper and finding a comedy sketch on youtube and copying the transcript.

Youtube is not exactly the most cleanest site (Davka the channel it is from is CERTAINLY not). I was just surprised people who work for the yated spend their time searching through youtube videos for comedic content.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Sorry, what? NEVER correct???

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionaries regard the form "comprised of" as standard English usage,[1][2][3]

Just curious. Is this one of these contemporary, they've given up the good fight things, like so many others? (E.g. their instead of his/her.)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:31 am
LovesHashem wrote:
They had a humour article with no credit in the past 1-2 months about what a coffee commercial would look like if it was honest. It was word for word from here:

I sat after shabbos and opened up the transcript. I asked my DH I'm insane or not, and he looked at it too. I mean someone there has to KNOW about this youtube channel in order to do this.

I recognized another humour column with those few weeks also taken from a youtube skit.

It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I tried contacting them about it to get information, I sent them the link and all and no response.

Like hello someone just blew up in their inbox for one of their rabbi's mentioning they have internet. It's that type of magazine. I wonder if the people getting it know it's so influenced by secular culture.

If you want coffee deconstructed read A. J. Jacobs Thanks a Thousand.

First of all, yeah, the column ripped this off. But not all 4 minutes, just a few lines. Also, was this something that was making that rounds that month and I missed it? It could be the author suspected that if even he heard this then everyone else had already.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:34 am
I don't really care for any of the Charedi media
I find it to be yellow journalism with an agenda
Stick to seforim if you are too frum for readers digest
But at least Zman is written for people who got past 6th grade

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:47 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It was in the smaller magazine. They don't have humour every week. I think it's every other week or every 3 weeks. It's written as an article not a new blurb. I think there is a difference between reprinting news items in a NEWSpaper and finding a comedy sketch on youtube and copying the transcript.

Youtube is not exactly the most cleanest site (Davka the channel it is from is CERTAINLY not). I was just surprised people who work for the yated spend their time searching through youtube videos for comedic content.

Not to mention, plagiarism?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If you want coffee deconstructed read A. J. Jacobs Thanks a Thousand.

First of all, yeah, the column ripped this off. But not all 4 minutes, just a few lines. Also, was this something that was making that rounds that month and I missed it? It could be the author suspected that if even he heard this then everyone else had already.

No it was word for word. I sat down and opened the transcript with the article next to me. I don't have the article anymore but it has lines like:

"most brain altering substances are outlawed or at least tightly controlled by the government ;this entirely legal psychoactive drug is enjoyed by basically every person you know on a daily basis"

And

" you wouldn't want to associate that chemical reward with the knowledge that people with far less money than you are severely underpaid to grow and harvest these bitter drug Laden seeds so I'd like to show you some more footage (in the article it said pictures, but there were no pictures in the article) this time of a hard-working happy looking person in Ethiopia or Guatemala somewhere it doesn't really matter I'm also going to say some words that combined with these images should make you feel better Organic cooperative sustainable ethical"

If anyone finds the article and uploads...I'd be ever so grateful.
Perhaps they paid the huge company who created the video to use the transcript, but even so - why are people at the Yated on youtube researching this stuff?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:56 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Not to mention, plagiarism?

Oh I definitely first thought of plagiarism. But it's very common to buy off articles. Mishpacha for instance is known to sell their articles to non-jewish magazines in foreign countries. Obviously when you write for them you lose all ownership of your work - so another reason why I'm not the biggest fan of them and that's why Riva Pomerantz moved to the Ami.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics