Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot recipe for shabbos day -NOT cholent
1  2  Next

Chanie

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 11:00 am
Any suggestions for a parve soup that I can make in the crockpot for shabbos day ( means it'll cook for 18 hrs ) dont want a cholent this week but want something hot. (I'm serving cold cuts for fleish)

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 11:06 am
does your crockpot have a warm setting? if so, you can make a non-soup for shabbos day in it.

if you want to make soup, though, regular chicken soup does fine in a crockpot, though it will be stronger by the day meal.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 11:08 am
I think OP said a pareve soup. Most pareve soups that I make do not do well cooking all of shabbos. Maybe just a vegetable broth?

mommy24

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:56 pm
I have been making differnt soups for shabbos day so far the bests were:
lentil soup: chop up 3 celery stalks,1 onion,2 carrots, 2 garlic cloves, 2 cups lentils, 1 can diced tomatos, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 4 cups water - put in crock pot all together. the recipe calls for a few cups of broth, I just add another cup of water and some more spices, cumin garlic, salt and pepper.you can add more water if you don't like it htat thick.
I have also made vegtable soup throwing in all different vegtables and barley keeping it on crock pot, its also pretty good.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:07 pm
I hope others will post more ideas. I have tried both soups and chicken dishes and neither have come out wonderful. I would love to have something hot and wonderful besides chollent.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 3:20 pm
How about a chili or stuffed cabbage?

JewishMother18

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 3:16 pm
How about minestrone soup -

onions, carrots, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, French green beans, peas
butter beans or chick peas
2 cans chopped tomatoes in herbs or in garlic
salt & freshly ground black pepper, cumin, paprika (lots)
a tablespoon of parev chicken soup powder

enjoy!

Shabbat Shalom

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 3:26 pm
We had split pea soup last shabbos for lunch. It worked out amazingly well. LOL We had hotdogs in ours which made the kids really happy, but they weren't necessary or part of the original soup.

The full recipe, which fed everyone erev Shabbos as well and left us some for the freezer:

1lb split peas, we used yellow
3 bay leaves
1 large or 2 small onions
4-5 potatoes, cubed
5 carrots, sliced
1 seat potato, cubed
1-2 cups wheat kernels, though barley or brown rice should work also
garlic
dill
water

Bring to boil and reduce flame to a simmer. Cook all the ingredients in a pot for at least a hour. Transfer what you want for Shabbos day into your crockpot. In theory you could just start it and cook it in the crockpot, but then you don't have the erev Shabbos soup. LOL

anonymom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 9:26 pm
I have heard of potato kugel in the crockpot for shabbos lunch. It sounds like a yummy idea, though I have never tried it because my husband must have his chulent.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 10:06 pm
cholent is not for everyone, specially as we age. you may end up thinking outside the box in the future.

I hope your dh enjoys the cholent while he can.

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 10:11 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Ima'la

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 4:46 am
chocolate moose wrote:
How about a chili or stuffed cabbage?

Have you had successs with stuffed cabbage? I tried it once and it was a flop, but it was shana rishona and I did not have much experience then, so maybe I did something wrong.

anonymom, you can have your potato kugel in the crockpot and eat your cholent too! I cut of some of my potato kugel before Shabbos, wrap it in tin foil and put it into the crockpot on top of the cholent, partially submerged. The cholent juice seeps in and it comes out good. But probably tastes very different from what you were talking about.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 10:26 am
yes, I hve. what was wrong?

Ima'la

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 12:23 am
It got very dark brown and overdone.

If I would do it now, I think I would put it in shortly before Shabbos on high just long enough to get it hot and then turn it down to warm. How do you do it choc?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:49 pm
you don't want do it right before shabbos on high, warm will probably not cook it properly. I find with any recipe you have to know your crockpot. general rule for crockpots: chicken takes 6-8 hrs on low, meat 8-10 hrs. chicken 3-4 hrs on high, meat 4 hrs. some crockpots have higher temps and the times need to be changed accordingly.

also, chicken with marinade does not work very well for shabbos day in a crockpot, same with any good quality meat (which will come out with a cholent meat texture.) ground meat and drier chicken dishes are usually fine for shabbos day.

did you have enough liquid in the crock-pot with the recipe that came out brown?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:51 pm
as the rov if you can put your crockpot on a timer. to turn off and on, on the low setting. that might help you out.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:57 pm
I have a great chili recipe very easy, and calls for a crockpot. I actually have a $1 from Target style book called "Crockpot Cooking." you could probably hunt down one of the same type book. I have one for desserts also. if only I was so industrious as to use them a lot. Wink

my chili recipe:

browned hamburger, onions, green pepper
1 BIG can of tomatos squished up
1 BIG can of H20 added in
can't remember if it's 1 or 2 cans of tomato sauce
3 cans of kidney beans (alternate beans whatever you like)
spice it up any way you want. we usually use salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, paprika, and as much crushed red pepper as we think people can handle LOL. you'll see in the crockpot regarding water level.

although it was always a 24 hour crockpot recipe, I've made it on the stovetop too...just doesn't cook in the flavor as well as an overnight. even with the canned veggies it has always been a major fave with people.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:59 pm
that kind of meat is very easy to burn and overcook. been there.........

maybe, for the imamothers who want something hot but not a cholent, the crockpot is not their friend in this case. maybe leavng on the blech or using a plata would suit them better.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:03 pm
yes it is easy to burn. you have to be careful. it might be easier to use raw meat instead of pre-browned. although, I've used this recipe for 15 years, got it from family and only messed up in the beginning trial and error phase. practice not for Shabbos...

also, we often have a "hamburger" cholent (same stuff just with hamburger) instead since the kids and FIL & MIL love it. actually so do DH & I.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:12 pm
the crockpot is a good tool for non-cholent, cm. but it does take experimenting.

chicken and rice is good for next day, as are meatballs. there are some other easy recipes for a crockpot that are really nice for shabbos day. I plan to try meatloaf sometime soon, that'll probably be fine as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus