Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do some Syrians really buy houses for others in community?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:21 pm
Is it true that some Syrian communities and shuls, give significant funds to buy a house for other Syrians in communities who can't afford it otherwise? We heard this twice but I thought it's not true?

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:23 pm
Why do you want to know?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:45 pm
They're known for great chesed within the community so it could be. Beautiful!

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:47 pm
Yup

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:49 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. The Syrian community knows how to share their bounty with others. Their communities are very close knit.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:59 pm
Everybody calm down with this hearsay. Until someone can specifically tell me the exact protocol and how this works, it's a bunch of exaggerated nonsense. Brooklyn is one of the largest syrian communities. If I'm a young syrian couple with young children and I want to buy a decent home on Ocean Parkway in Flatbush, do I just contact Achiezer or Mikdash Melech or the other big syrian shuls and let them know I'm interested in buying a home and they just ask me for the spelling of my name so they can give me a million dollar check? That's it? I'm not believing this for a second. Maybe if a rabbi is being hired they will facilitate the housing situation, but the op's question was "do syrians buy houses for others in the community?" people love a feelgood story, but please, don't be silly.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:01 pm
Yes some give a certain amount to ppl buying their first home. I believe it has to be under a million. The amount is significant but not enough to buy a home or even enough for a down payment but it helps

Last edited by Sebastian on Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:02 pm
Amother jade, everyone is calm and no one is exaggerating on anything. OP just asked a question, that's it. No one is saying they for sure do it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:05 pm
It's no so glamorous. It's very hard to ask for help in such an affluent community and very hard to stand out as someone who doesn't have. It's a beautiful beautiful chesed but I don't think people should be jealous.

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:11 pm
I know 2 people that got a nice amount towards a house.
We want our young to stay here and not move out so we do it cuz our community will continue to flourish here in Flatbush.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Amother jade, everyone is calm and no one is exaggerating on anything. OP just asked a question, that's it. No one is saying they for sure do it.

The question was do Syrians "buy houses" for communist members. Several people have responded that they do. I don't believe this. I want to know if an unknown syrian family can move into the community and have someone pay for their house. Can someone provide a number of who to call for this?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:30 pm
I have no personal knowledge but it wouldn’t surprise me as the Syrian community in Brooklyn is so close knit and extremely tied to the neighborhood they live in which is small and very expensive.

They also have some extreme wealth in terms of per capita so there is the financial ability to do this. Because of the way they interact with the world, they wouldn’t have the same number of families in financial distress - hope I expressed that in the manner it is meant in terms of their raising children to be economically self sufficient which I view as positive. Very Happy

nchr

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:34 pm
This happens in any smaller community.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The question was do Syrians "buy houses" for communist members. Several people have responded that they do. I don't believe this. I want to know if an unknown syrian family can move into the community and have someone pay for their house. Can someone provide a number of who to call for this?

No one buys them houses. Some ppl give a nice sum towards a down payment. There are conditions to receiving it. And no I doubt a family outside the community would get anything.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:40 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

There are no unknown Syrian families. Isn't that the whole point?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:52 pm
Amother jade, they do this because they don't want people that already live there to move out of the community because they can't afford a house there.
They want their community to flourish. I doubt they would to this to an unknown newcomer.

cnc

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:57 pm
Rappel wrote:
There are no unknown Syrian families. Isn't that the whole point?

This.
The community is a very tight close knit family like community.
I worked in the community. Everyone knows everyone there. It’s amazing .

groovy1224

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:57 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Actually the question was if they donate significant funds towards the purchase of a home. And the answer is yes. It is a unique, close knit community where it's extremely important to the parents that their married kids stay local, so the community makes it happen.
I'm not Syrian so I don't know the exact protocol but I doubt there's a 1-800 number you can call to get an application. Someone who is in need contacts their Rabbi, and it's handled. I don't think they'd give to strangers, the point is to keep the community close knit so if you're not already a valued member, they'd have no reason to do it.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:10 pm
So to be clear, we are saying that in the Syrian community, in order to make sure that the young families stay in the area, "the community" will give several hundred thousand dollars towards a home purchase. The only qualification is that you must be Syrian. I would imagine this program costs tens of millions each year.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:12 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So to be clear, we are saying that in the Syrian community, in order to make sure that the young families stay in the area, "the community" will give several hundred thousand dollars towards a home purchase. The only qualification is that you must be Syrian. I would imagine this program costs tens of millions each year.

There are many uber wealthy Syrian families.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics