Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do some Syrians really buy houses for others in community?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:16 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So to be clear, we are saying that in the Syrian community, in order to make sure that the young families stay in the area, "the community" will give several hundred thousand dollars towards a home purchase. The only qualification is that you must be Syrian. I would imagine this program costs tens of millions each year.

Why do you think there are lines of families waiting for a handout? For the most part adults prefer not to rely on מתנת בשר ודם.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:21 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Why do you think there are lines of families waiting for a handout? For the most part adults prefer not to rely on מתנת בשר ודם.

Exactly this.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:26 pm
Amother jade, no being Syrian is not the only qualification. You need to live in the community and be part of the community ever since. What's so hard to understand? They want to keep their community members from moving out.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:29 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So to be clear, we are saying that in the Syrian community, in order to make sure that the young families stay in the area, "the community" will give several hundred thousand dollars towards a home purchase. The only qualification is that you must be Syrian. I would imagine this program costs tens of millions each year.

It s not several hundred thousand it s much less. The couple needs to be buying a simple house under a certain price. I also believe it's only given to those who have no family to help. It s individuals who give the money not the community. I dont think rabbis are involved.

Last edited by Sebastian on Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:31 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Seriously? Can we be honest for a minute? There are thousands of frum families that set themselves up so that they are dependent on government and community for support. Let's not pretend otherwise.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Seriously? Can we be honest for a minute? There are thousands of drum families that set themselves up so that they are dependent on government and community for support. Let's not pretend otherwise.

That is not the way of the Syrian community.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:35 pm
I'm sure it's not an official thing, but rather a common chesed.

Like in yeshivish communities if one sibling is well off they often help support siblings in learning.

It's a priority for Syrians to stay in Flatbush, and for yeshivish people to support those in learning.

But you can't walk in and expect people who don't know you to give you money.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:37 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Seriously? Can we be honest for a minute? There are thousands of drum families that set themselves up so that they are dependent on government and community for support. Let's not pretend otherwise.

If we're being honest, people absolutely see government help as different from tzedaka. There are countries with socialized medicine and benefits for large families. People see the benefits offered in the US for low income families in a similar way, whether or not it's correct.

I'm not familiar with families setting themselves up to receive tzedaka, no. And I don't think this is something you will find as anything close to the norm in the Syrian community in Brooklyn.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:56 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Seriously? Can we be honest for a minute? There are thousands of frum families that set themselves up so that they are dependent on government and community for support. Let's not pretend otherwise.

If it's worth your time, feel free to start a spin-off thread. But the OP asked respectfully about activism in the Syrian community, and I think we should stick to that topic here.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:57 pm
I am not a member of the Brooklyn Syrian community but lived in their neighborhood.

They are an extremely tight knit group and go to great lengths to keep their members within the community both "emotionally" and in terms of geography.

As I posted, the Brooklyn Syrian community has members with enormous wealth as well as those who are merely rich. Just google to get some idea of the the financial resources of the community.

I would imagine most of the members of the community don't need this kind of largesse so the need isn't large and the resources are significant for those who need. I am trying not to post in a manner that could be viewed as controversial but as a rule the Brooklyn Syrian community attempts to ensure that their children are self sufficient. To the extent it costs a few million dollars, that is a minimal amount given the financial resources of many of the people and the community as a whole - I would assume most since they have intertwined business relationships.

I don't know what the purpose of the OP was. If it's just general curiosity, I would assume this is true because the community can afford it and it's a shared very important community value to keep the community geographically intact - they also have beautiful homes in Deal as their summer homes.

If you are hoping to receive some kind of financial assistance, don't bother because everyone in the community has ties going back to the 1920's and 1930's when the first small group settled. Those who need assistance in some way would be on the radar of the community leaders. I would assume it's the equivalent of the old saw about expensive stuff - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it - here if you need to inquire about HOW to ask for help, it wouldn't be available because you aren't a known member of the communit

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 4:16 pm
Rappel wrote:
If it's worth your time, feel free to start a spin-off thread. But the OP asked respectfully about activism in the Syrian community, and I think we should stick to that topic here.

Good idea. So the op asked if it's true that the Syrian community and shul give "significant sums" to prospective Syrian home buyers in an effort to keep them in the community. It would be great if perhaps someone from the community can chime in and talk about specifics. What does significant sum mean 5k? 25k? 100k? 500k?
Who is eligible?

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 4:22 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What does significant sum mean 5k? 25k? 100k? 500k?
Who is eligible?

I imagine it's on a sliding scale of how much the donor loves the recipient.

Why would there be rules and regulations for this?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Good idea. So the op asked if it's true that the Syrian community and shul give "significant sums" to prospective Syrian home buyers in an effort to keep them in the community. It would be great if perhaps someone from the community can chime in and talk about specifics. What does significant sum mean 5k? 25k? 100k? 500k?
Who is eligible?

Are you writing a news story? What’s it to you?

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 4:59 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The question was do Syrians "buy houses" for communist members. Several people have responded that they do. I don't believe this. I want to know if an unknown syrian family can move into the community and have someone pay for their house. Can someone provide a number of who to call for this?

That's quite the conundrum Syrians have on their hands. If they are giving money to the communist members to buy houses, then those members are no longer communists. Do they have to give the houses back?

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Judging by the string of inquiries, I think Jade is hoping to discover that she is a long-lost Anteby cousin, from the Mansour side.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's quite the conundrum Syrians have on their hands. If they are giving money to the communist members to buy houses, then those members are no longer communists. Do they have to give the houses back?

LOL

Vell, you found me out!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:27 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I don't like people spreading false information. I'm skeptical any of this is really true. Meaning young Syrians can get "significantly sums" (a few hundred grand?) Just so they don't leave the community. It's not fair to give people false hope. I personally know a Syrian family that left Brooklyn a few years ago so they could get cheaper housing out of town.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:52 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The question was do Syrians "buy houses" for communist members

Probably not, Comrade!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:54 pm
This is from a New York Times story on the Brooklyn Syrian Jews from 2007.

But the solidarity of the SY community is based on more than fear of excommunication and the evil eye. There are positive inducements as well. Chief among these are the support and charity that the community shows to its members. It is an intensely social place; weddings of 1,000 guests or more are common (there are volunteer societies that loan out dishes, silverware and even tables and chairs to enable everyone to entertain in a respectable fashion). Grown children often live within walking distance of the parents, and family Sabbath dinners of 30 or 40 are the norm. Being an SY means never having to say you are hungry. The community is charitable to a fault: at Sunday-morning house parties and festive holiday cruises, grandees compete by making donations to one another’s pet charities.

The result is the most generous cradle-to-grave mutual-welfare society this side of the Saudi royal family. The community’s annual spending on charity and other civic services, including education, is around $100 million. “The services here are preconception to postmortem,” David Greenfield, executive director of the recently formed Sephardic Community Federation, told me.

An SY in good standing can expect free K-12 parochial education and summer camps for the kids, access to a palatial communal ritual bath, use of grand recreational facilities in a community center now being doubled in size, high-level care for the aged and attention to whatever material problems life may present. “If there are poor people among us, we try to help,” Jakie Kassin told me. “If a person falters in business, other men step in. I’ve even seen people in the same business, direct competitors, raise money to put the man back on his feet.”

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I don't like people spreading false information. I'm skeptical any of this is really true. Meaning young Syrians can get "significantly sums" (a few hundred grand?) Just so they don't leave the community. It's not fair to give people false hope. I personally know a Syrian family that left Brooklyn a few years ago so they could get cheaper housing out of town.

Those in the community aren’t looking for hope from imamother.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics