Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My poor itchy daughter
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:20 am
Putting this under children's health, but wondering if it is allergies.

My delicious, happy, 5 year old daughter began scratching her abdomen about 3 months ago. It as gotten worse over and she is now scratching everywhere except below her knees including her scalp. Until recently (maybe 2 weeks ago,) there was no sign on her skin of any rash/irritation. She now has little red bumps in the areas that she scratches. It is possible that the dots come after she scratches and are not there before she scratches that area. She complains that it itches and burns. During the day I catch her scratching, but she doesn't really complain. At night she wakes up crying from how uncomfortable she is. The skin looks much more irritated at night (but she might be scratching in her sleep.) She does not have any allergies that I know of. I have tried switching to a perfume free dye free detergent, and using a perfume free dove soap bar. I put Cerave lotion on her pretty religiously until re cently. At a recent doctor apptmnt the doctor says that she has beautiful skin and that it can't be eczema and does not need the lotion. I tried giving her a dose of benadryl before going to bed (maybe she is allergic to something?) But I don't think it helps. Applying ice packs to the itchy areas does help. (Anyone have an ice pack body suit we could borrow?😋)

I got a referral to a dermatologist, and now have to book an appointment. But ever night is a struggle and I feel so bad that I don't know how to help her.

The only thing her pediatrician could think of now is that he has had patients that have bouts of itching and it goes away On its own. Maybe it is more humid in the summer etc...but it seems to only be getting worse every week. 😖

Anyone have any advice? Experience? Caring words?

momsrus

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:37 am
Can it be scabies. Scabies is worse at night.

working mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:39 am
Check for bedbugs

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:51 am
Can’t believe it’s this bad and she didn’t see a doctor yet!!

Sounds an allergy or maybe scabies.
I would have said bedbugs but with bedbugs I think the marks are always there, not only from scratching.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:25 am
Did she get a blood test?

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:06 am
can it be candida thats itching her that sugar makes worse?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:21 am
My first thought was scabies. I've had it before, and it's horrible! Give her an oatmeal bath before bed, and cover her with calamine lotion when she dries off.

Get her to the doctor ASAP for the right medicine. They will do a painless skin scrape test to be sure, of they might be able to tell just by looking.

In the meanwhile, turn out all the lights in her bedroom, and then shine a flashlight in the darkest areas. Check the mattresses and blankets, and look for bedbugs.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:38 am
Quote:
The only thing her pediatrician could think of now is that he has had patients that have bouts of itching and it goes away On its own

I’m not a pediatrician and even I can think of many more reasons for itchiness.
Please insist on bloodwork specifically to check for liver and kidney function.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:49 am
What does the pediatrician think now that she has the red dots? I think you’re on the right track with the dermatologist. Maybe see if your pediatrician can help you get an earlier appointment. I know that worked for me when the dermatologist didn’t have any openings for months.

In the meantime, can the pediatrician recommend anything to help with the discomfort? Anti-itch creams or lotions? Oral anti/itch medication? Even if it’s not eczema, maybe some of the anti-itch remedies could help with the discomfort until she gets a diagnosis and treatment plan?

I would also keep her nails very short so she’s less likely to break skin with her scratching and open the area up for infection. Maybe try a wet-wrap at night (I believe it’s a pair of wet pajamas, with dry pajamas on top—but google it) and see if it helps with the discomfort?

nchr

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 8:10 am
Your doctor needs to do bloodwork to rule out anything serious chv. Also, try giving her an antacid, that can really help with itching and I would do claritin or zyrtec at night not benadryl.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 8:58 am
Can it be the heat?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:16 am
The doctor said that in the case of scabies or bed bugs there would be obvious bite marks. Her skin starts off normal, then gets very light coloured bumps which get more red with irritation.
Do people get Candida all over their body? Again, there is no dryness or redness before she starts scratching.

She has been to the doctor 3 times regarding this already. her skin looks much worse at night then during the day, so the doctor hasn't seen the worst of it. I took pictures of her last night (2:30 am, this morning??😴) and I will send to them today iyH. She will see a dermatologist soon iyH, but I wonder if she really needs an allergist instead?

nchr

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The doctor said that in the case of scabies or bed bugs there would be obvious bite marks. Her skin starts off normal, then gets very light coloured bumps which get more red with irritation.
Do people get Candida all over their body? Again, there is no dryness or redness before she starts scratching.

She has been to the doctor 3 times regarding this already. her skin looks much worse at night then during the day, so the doctor hasn't seen the worst of it. I took pictures of her last night (2:30 am, this morning??😴) and I will send to them today iyH. She will see a dermatologist soon iyH, but I wonder if she really needs an allergist instead?

This sounds like an allergic reaction to a food or vitamin (from my experience) or hives caused by a virus. I'd do the zyrtec every day for 2 weeks at night, but you should see a dermatologist and do blood work to rule anything out. If you take a pencil and scratch her stomach does it become inflamed? I'd also bathe her with selsun blue.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:25 pm
This is not a diagnosis. But generally speaking, itchiness is exacerbated by the scratching. Maybe put her to bed in a zip up sleeper so that she is less likely to scratch.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:39 pm
nchr wrote:
This sounds like an allergic reaction to a food or vitamin. If you take a pencil and scratch her stomach does it become inflamed? I'd also bathe her with selsun blue.

Is it likely to be an allergic reaction I f she has no other known allergies? Scratching her stomach does not make a red line. Selsun blue the shampoo? Is there a body wash? Why selSun blue?

angelgirl

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:40 pm
As I child I used to get exceedingly itchy legs throughout the year but worse in summer and yes much worse during the night. I also had nothing to show for the itch other than after I had scratched hard enough. It just itched even though there was nothing there.

No regular eczema/dermatitis cream used to help. I do not remember the cream that did the trick (sorry) but I have a feeling it must have been a steroid based cream as I had to apply it very thinly. It relieved the itch temporarily, usually until morning at least.

I outgrew it though by my middle teens.

I hope you find something that will help her cos it really is so uncomfortable. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:36 pm
angelgirl wrote:
As I child I used to get exceedingly itchy legs throughout the year but worse in summer and yes much worse during the night. I also had nothing to show for the itch other than after I had scratched hard enough. It just itched even though there was nothing there.

No regular eczema/dermatitis cream used to help. I do not remember the cream that did the trick (sorry) but I have a feeling it must have been a steroid based cream as I had to apply it very thinly. It relieved the itch temporarily, usually until morning at least.

I outgrew it though by my middle teens.

I hope you find something that will help her cos it really is so uncomfortable. Good luck.

Thanks for responding. What do you think made your legs more itchy at night? Were they exposed at night? Pants vs nightgown? What did you wear during the day?

onthecouch

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 6:00 pm
Check for pinworms? My kid was itchy ALL OVER.

angelgirl

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responding. What do you think made your legs more itchy at night? Were they exposed at night? Pants vs nightgown? What did you wear during the day?

Usually I would be wearing short pJs during summer so they were exposed then but I remember wearing long ones too and itching as well. Never nightgowns. I’m pretty sure they were all cotton, my mum is quite into that! Daytime would have been ankle/knee socks till age 12/13 and then tights.

There was no rhyme or reason as to why I would itch, it wouldn’t make a difference on what had been worn during that day or as sleepwear.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 8:34 pm
Sounds like it could be candida. I get a rash that sounds similar, went to several doctors, couldn't figure it out. Went for accupunture, went off of sugar, then it went away. Now if I have a flare up I go off of sugar, take probiotics, and apply coconut oil. Last time I took diflucan, which helped.

Of course the above isn't a diagnosis, and you should still take her to the doctor/ dermatologist to rule out other causes, but it doesn't hurt to treat for yeast in the meantime.

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics