Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Ideas for Bris Seuda on Ch'M

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 1:33 pm
IY"H we will most probably have a Bris on Chol HaMoed. There is no caterer here and I'll be already precooking and baking for our own YT, so no Koach left for the Bris Seuda.

What have you served on such a day? Any ideas?

We thought about serving cold cuts, breads and salads. But this seems so bland and not kovedig.

Also, we thought that people might prefer the seuda right after the bris in the morning, because for most it is a day for outings. What do you think? I'm at a loss here and would appreciate any ideas!

TIA!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 1:37 pm
We made a Bris on chol hamoed and served the standard bris breakfast spread...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 1:43 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
We made a Bris on chol hamoed and served the standard bris breakfast spread...

thank you! what did it include? milchig?

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 2:51 pm
Some people have minhag to serve meat. I think cold cuts are totally acceptable. Get nice bread, good cold cuts, salads that are easy to prep.

You can have platters of both cold cuts and fish, egg salad (for those who don't want meat early in the morning) or do fish and milchigs. (cheese danishes, cheese cakes, tuna salad, salmon etc)

I think brunch time is fine...10/11 oclock. People will have plenty of time for ouings after that.

Do you have a planned csection that you already know the day???

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you! what did it include? milchig?

It was catered by a bagel store. Bagels, spreads, cheese, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, pastries and drinks.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:01 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
It was catered by a bagel store. Bagels, spreads, cheese, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, pastries and drinks.

While people here refer to a minhag to serve meat, I have quite literally never been to a fleishig bris. Its always milchig, and almost always bagels and spreads.

Fave

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:53 pm
I made a Bris on Chip Hamoed Sukkos 9 years ago (time flies!) It was beautiful as families weren’t rushing to work/school.

We knew in advance that ppl will spend more time there (not just grab a bagel and run) so we ordered more food than the usual midweek Bris.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:15 pm
If it’s cold, have a soup. It could easily be made in advance. Put it on a single burner with a pile of bowls nearby.
At least the men will be in the sukkah. Plan for the weather.
Ask someone to prepare salmon which makes it more kavodik than just bagels or deli meats.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
IY"H we will most probably have a Bris on Chol HaMoed. There is no caterer here and I'll be already precooking and baking for our own YT, so no Koach left for the Bris Seuda.

What have you served on such a day? Any ideas?

We thought about serving cold cuts, breads and salads. But this seems so bland and not kovedig.

Also, we thought that people might prefer the seuda right after the bris in the morning, because for most it is a day for outings. What do you think? I'm at a loss here and would appreciate any ideas!

TIA!

Nothing not bekavodik to me about cold cuts, etc.
Seuda usually is right after the bris. It is a mitzvah, don't push it off.
A milchig/pareve spread - bagels, lox, etc. - is also fine.

Don't worry about it being Pinterest-worthy, though I'm sure with even reasonably priced paper goods it will look beautiful. The guest of honor, I.e. your baby b'shaa tova certainly won't care. And I promise you Eliyahu Hanavi won't stiff the event either.

Keep it real and stay sane.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:41 pm
Iymnok wrote:
If it’s cold, have a soup. It could easily be made in advance. Put it on a single burner with a pile of bowls nearby.
At least the men will be in the sukkah. Plan for the weather.
Ask someone to prepare salmon which makes it more kavodik than just bagels or deli meats.

Yes, this isn't Pesach. People will mish. If family or friends offer, do take them up on it.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:47 pm
Just do what’s easy for you. Bagels lox and cream cheese or what you already suggested. You don’t want to overwhelm yourself

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 4:51 pm
If self catering do very simple:

Bagels
Danishes and donuts
Cream cheese containers
Lox platters (put out on cardboard from store)
Orange juice
Premade ice coffee.
Water

Setup Buffett style
Leftover candy platters from shalom zachor

Paper goods - plates, forks, knives, cups.

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 6:06 pm
It all depends on your budget
Remember everyone will come and stay to eat

There was something I saw at a bris that was quite unique, fancy.
They had a bbq with an aluminum sheet pan and a big slab of spiced salmon. The bbq kept it hot. It was very fancy looking

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:10 pm
Ive seen milchig for women, sometimes at home. Reg catered fleishig meal for men in shul. Men will need a sukka to accomodate them . Usually shul's sukka is bigger than home sukkah.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:24 pm
Thank you all!!! really appreciate the input Smile

We will do cold cuts, milchig and fish are way too expensive where we live

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 3:49 pm
A large grilled chicken salad might add the little extra to make it feel special.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics