Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Transferring Services

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:46 am
The principal in the school my daughter is joining next year mentioned at that interview that if I'm already receiving services in NY for my daughter it shouldn't be such an issue to recieve services in NJ, as they may not want the hassle for a new evaluation. She claimed this happened with a student who previously came from Brooklyn.
When I reached out to her to get more details, she refered me to the person in charge of OT in the school who didn't seem to think this was possible and said no one gets services around here from the board of ed.... Does anyone have an idea what the principal may have been refering to and how and where do I take this further? In Brooklyn I find if you actually go down to the BOE you can accomplish in minutes what would take forever with no response by phone/email.
Any ideas how to proceed here?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:35 am
Nyc is much more generous with services. You are unlikely to get anything here. If you do you'll need a new evaluation, you cant transfer services.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:41 am
Go down to the BOE and ask them directly.
The faster you speak to them and the faster your daughter will get services!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:03 pm
Any idea where it's located? Is it the same for Lakewood and Toms River?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:17 pm
Google it. Tom's river is diff than lkwd

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:29 pm
which one is better lakewood or toms river?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:44 pm
Where do you live? You need to contact the boe where you will.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
which one is better lakewood or toms river?

You don't simply get to choose which school district is going to provide services. Its generally based on your residence (NOT where the school is located), but it may sometimes be based on school location.

If you live in Lakewood, deal with the Lakewood Bd of Ed. If in Tom's River, ditto.

If you live in NY, but send your child to school in NJ, you need to look into what happens before taking any action. NY may still be obligated to provide related services, at its cost, but its not going to do it in school.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 7:12 pm
You can usually get speech therapy through the Board of Ed. OT and PT are not provided for students in private school. Other special ed services (504 services, I believe) such as math and reading tutoring are provided by the board of ed in which the school is located. Title 1 services are provided by the district in which you reside but only if the school is also in that district, so if you live in Toms River and go to a school in Lakewood, you wouldn't get that. When I first moved to Toms River, the board of Ed was very helpful in answering my questions over the phone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries