Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Nutritionist for Crohns

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 8:56 am
Does anyone know of a nutritionist who helps with weight loss when suffering from Crohn’s/IBS and other related autoimmune problems? I need someone who will be understanding of these conditions + obesity. Knowledgeable and sensitive.Thank you in advance.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:06 am
When I was following the Crohn's boards there was a woman named Marilyn who actually gained a lot of weight with her Crohn's and has lost it. Maybe you could track her down. She was a proponent of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I'm not sure if you want to go there. Personally if we were still in the parsha I'd look into the Massachusetts diet that's similar but allows oats and cocoa. At least when I heard about it a few years ago.
Hatzlacha regaining your health!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:17 am
Look up Wellbee's online. My neighbor, Rochel Weiss is the owner and does nutritional counseling. Located in Monsey but I think that she can work with Skype.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:21 am
Tamar Feldman
www.thegutdietitian.com

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:13 am
southernbubby wrote:
Look up Wellbee's online. My neighbor, Rochel Weiss is the owner and does nutritional counseling. Located in Monsey but I think that she can work with Skype.

Rochel Weiss promotes the SCD diet, and sells a variety of kosher (very pricey) SCD foods. The SCD diet is basically a Pesach diet MINUS: potatoes, sugar, fake sugars, raw fruits and veggies (until symptoms are gone, which I never got to), and most dairy products. It has helped many people.

(When I was on the SCD diet and came home from the grocery store with a trunk full of bags, the only things I could eat without cooking was unsweetened applesauce of a specific company, and very ripe bananas.)

I was on the SCD diet for close to a year, twice. It helped in that I did not experience a flair while on the diet; however, it did not come close to healing my issues, so I decided the benefits were not worth the hassle.

Refuah Shelaimah, and Hatzlachah!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Tamar Feldman
www.thegutdietitian.com

I didn’t work with her in the end but I did speak to her. When leaving a message insist that she call you back and not someone else.
She gave a lot of time over the phone and seemed extremely knowledgeable and honest how she could help us (or not at that time).

(It’s true scd isn’t a good fix for everyone and even those in it are likely to have flare ups. It’s rare to find someone in remission or totally issue free on scd).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
When I was following the Crohn's boards there was a woman named Marilyn who actually gained a lot of weight with her Crohn's and has lost it. Maybe you could track her down. She was a proponent of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I'm not sure if you want to go there. Personally if we were still in the parsha I'd look into the Massachusetts diet that's similar but allows oats and cocoa. At least when I heard about it a few years ago.
Hatzlacha regaining your health!

Thanks for your help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:10 am
southernbubby wrote:

Thank you I will look into it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:53 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Rochel Weiss promotes the SCD diet, and sells a variety of kosher (very pricey) SCD foods. The SCD diet is basically a Pesach diet MINUS: potatoes, sugar, fake sugars, raw fruits and veggies (until symptoms are gone, which I never got to), and most dairy products. It has helped many people.

(When I was on the SCD diet and came home from the grocery store with a trunk full of bags, the only things I could eat without cooking was unsweetened applesauce of a specific company, and very ripe bananas.)

I was on the SCD diet for close to a year, twice. It helped in that I did not experience a flair while on the diet; however, it did not come close to healing my issues, so I decided the benefits were not worth the hassle.

Refuah Shelaimah, and Hatzlachah!

Thanka for the info. Was the SCD diet about weight loss or about managing symptoms? For me I only have flares when I eat specific foods—it’s more that I’m trying to find someone who is familiar with IBS help me lose weight which is extremely difficult for me because of a messed-up gut.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I didn’t work with her in the end but I did speak to her. When leaving a message insist that she call you back and not someone else.
She gave a lot of time over the phone and seemed extremely knowledgeable and honest how she could help us (or not at that time).

(It’s true scd isn’t a good fix for everyone and even those in it are likely to have flare ups. It’s rare to find someone in remission or totally issue free on scd).

Good to know. Thanks!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanka for the info. Was the SCD diet about weight loss or about managing symptoms? For me I only have flares when I eat specific foods—it’s more that I’m trying to find someone who is familiar with IBS help me lose weight which is extremely difficult for me because of a messed-up gut.

SCD is about managing symptoms though people might lose weight on it.
There are secular groups that will arrange SCD buddies.

There is a difference between Crohns/IBD and IBS.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 7:34 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Tamar Feldman
www.thegutdietitian.com

I Second this!
She is very knowledgeable

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 7:43 pm
Call a tzaddik of a man named
Mr. Drummer 718-635- 2274
He can help with all resources related to crohns. A true tzaddik. I think he is located in Williamsburg. Any questions re crohns, he devoted his life to helping people.

May HaShem reward him greatly for his generous soul and devotion to Klal Yisrael. I know so many families he helped!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise