Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADD coach? Suggestions for Executive function/memory

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:09 pm
My 10 year old just got diagnosed with ADD the inattentive variety. Besides having very poor working memory she has poor organizational skills and all her executive functions are really lacking. We are trying to avoid or put off medicine as long as possible. Do you think an ADD coach could help? Nothing I have tried has worked. I do not have ADD and am an organized person. Any other suggestions especially for the memory? We make lists and break things down into smaller parts etc.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:37 pm
Programs such as Fast Forward and the Arrowsmith Program might be helpful. Medication can help with concentration but won't help these defecits. However, it might be very difficult if not impossible to work on the defecits if she can't sustain attention.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:34 pm
You can use medication short term to give her an opportunity to learn these skills. If you're really opposed to that, I would just work alongside her without the expectation that she'll be practicing the skills independently. In other words, an ongoing coaching type of situation, not necessarily teaching and weaning her off of your help.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:01 am
I coach kids with these issues. Many students can develop great skills and strategies to help them navigate their day, up to a certain point if they aren’t on meds. Depending how severe their inattentiveness is, I can give them an awareness of organization, teach them how to keep their desks organized, give them a homework system....

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:29 am
oneofakind wrote:
Programs such as Fast Forward and the Arrowsmith Program might be helpful. Medication can help with concentration but won't help these defecits. However, it might be very difficult if not impossible to work on the defecits if she can't sustain attention.

I wonder what your background is because my understanding from a lot of research and anecdotal sharing is that medication often has a positive effect across all areas of functioning. Not saying that's what OP needs at this time, but misinformation is not going to help.

I don't know much about Arrowsmith but as a Fast ForWord provider I only recommend FFW for kids who have evidence of auditory processing OR reading difficulties. I have not seen evidence that it has an effect for kids with ADHD who do not also have at least one of those conditions which are more directly targeted by the program.

Jacoby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:34 am
Can I ask where/how you got her diagnosed?
Trying to figure out the best route for my 9 year old.
Thanks

e1234

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 5:39 am
you can try contacting iloveadhd.com - he is a coach that can guide you how to help your child best

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 6:36 am
Jacoby wrote:
Thanks

I’m not OP but you can try a developmental pediatrician or a neuropsychologist.

Where are you located?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:31 am
Jacoby wrote:
Thanks

OP here. We got her a Neuropsych Eval by a psychologist who does testing BUT it is expensive and time consuming. We weren’t sure if we were dealing with a learning disability or ADD. IF we were pretty sure ADD was going to be the answer I would have gotten ADD evaluation forms from my ped, had her teachers fill them out and brought them back to the ped who could have diagnosed it.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. We got her a Neuropsych Eval by a psychologist who does testing BUT it is expensive and time consuming. We weren’t sure if we were dealing with a learning disability or ADD. IF we were pretty sure ADD was going to be the answer I would have gotten ADD evaluation forms from my ped, had her teachers fill them out and brought them back to the ped who could have diagnosed it.

I understand that the cost of testing is prohibitive, but in my experience there is a lot to be gained in doing the testing even if you're sure you're dealing with ADHD. I'm glad you took the longer route- hopefully you got much more detailed information regarding specific areas of strength and weakness than you would have from the pediatrician's forms.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 9:30 am
I agree with Jade. Much more worth it to pay the money and know what you are dealing with than trying things that won't help and will cost you anyway. What does the nueropsych recommend besides medication? Again, it'll help the focusing part of working memory but it won't solve a poor working memory or disorganization. Chances are you'll need to approach this problem on a few fronts.

Jacoby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 11:51 pm
I'm in Brooklyn.
Do any of you have a neuropsychologist to recommend?
Thanks

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:10 am
Dr. Miriam Goldstein is very good.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:58 pm
Try Dr. Henry Hasson if you are in or near Brooklyn.

areal

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I coach kids with these issues.

Trying my luck even though it's a few years since your post.. looking for live coaching for a 12yo girl, you still do it or know direct contact information? Ty.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:02 pm
My daughter has undiagnosed ADHD and Relief told us to try working with Shani Ehrenpreis. Anyone has comments? Tried?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)