Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving fl? Moving in general

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:55 am
Hollywood vs boca -Where would a Brooklyn couple (yeshivas and bais yaakov main stream) feel comfortable? Are there any areas that you would recommend?
Also, how do you make the decision to actually move from extremely in town to OOT? We would love something more relaxed but scared because we are definitely in towners Confused Florida is so far and we quite literally know zero people there. Just like that it’s a set up community and nice. (We think!)

redheaded

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:04 am
Go for a weekend.

Go to shul.

Talk to the people.

Get a feel.

To integrate and get to know people, join a shir, a gym or some other social group.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:33 am
Hollywood is a great, friendly community but you have to be okay with living mostly among people who are way more modern than you are.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:10 am
You would probably find more people from a similar background in Boca than in Hollywood. I moved from Brooklyn to an oot community, but it isn't as suburban as those places. I think it would have been harder for me to adjust if that was the case. If you have kids I think it's probably an easier adjustment to move from Brooklyn to a community oot than the reverse.

hello12341

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:52 pm
You would probably be more comfortable in North Miami Beach

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:49 pm
I heard north Miami is kollel/yeshivish. Is that true? We’re looking for yeshivish but not kollel type. Also heard it’s not very nice housing or areas there...not that Brooklyn is gorgeous or anything Very Happy

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:07 pm
Kollel people are a minority. I strongly recommend at least one of you going to check out all the communities in person before making serious decisions.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard north Miami is kollel/yeshivish. Is that true? We’re looking for yeshivish but not kollel type. Also heard it’s not very nice housing or areas there...not that Brooklyn is gorgeous or anything Very Happy

Over the years houses are being remodeled in NMB, there are even quite a few McMansions that have gone up. It’s not so much that you can’t find nice housing so much as even if you find a nice house, you’re in a low-income ghetto sort of place with the crime to match.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:47 pm
Look into Houston!
I know it's further away than Florida but it sounds like it may be a great fit for you.
The real estate is much cheaper than Boca and the community is growing tremendously.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:27 pm
Houston is too far for us! Thanks for the suggestions

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:20 pm
When people say go for a shabbos, what does that mean? How do you know where to go, where to stay, what the options are?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 3:08 pm
Honesty, Boca and Hollywood are more modern of a community then you describe. NMB is much more what you are describing. It's not at all all Yesiva and kollel families. There are about 15 kollel families, 40 or so Rebbe/Yeshiva families, and lots and lots of just plain frum. Also a lot of lubavitch.
Yes the houses are on the smaller side (and very expensive for what you are getting - average small house in NMB is about 500k)..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating