Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Does anyone have a good teshuva "regimen" for Elul?

stillgrowing

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:13 am
Elul is coming and it's just so hard to actually change. There are shiurim online and amazing books to read, but has anyone done something which has made a lasting change in their lives?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 11:43 am
I like Rabbi Nivin’s approach to Elul. Helps to take an accounting of your life and choose a few areas to work on over the coming year

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:12 pm
Think of something small that you want to work on and see lasting change. If you can only see big things, break them down into smaller parts and start at the beginning.
Then think of a kabbalah you can take on short term, like through the yamim nora'im, e.g. listening to a shiur for 15 minutes a day, saying Tehillim, etc.
Of course, there is also teshuva in the sense of thinking of any big mistakes we've made and repairing them.

ces

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:35 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I like Rabbi Nivin’s approach to Elul. Helps to take an accounting of your life and choose a few areas to work on over the coming year

What is that approach?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 3:17 pm
A few years ago I brought a book by Rebbitzen Heller, called 'Return; Your Path to Lasting Change'. It is a short book, but gives a lot of very deep haskafah, together with a very practical and growth oriented approach to Teshuva. Its actually quite terrifying to really work through - feels as though you are being held under a spotlight and minutely examined against an absolute standard (Yom HaDin), and it isn't much help that in this case you are the one doing the examining. Having said that, she does give advice about not bring overwhelmed, and about how to identify where to work on change, and how to maintain it through the year, and then build on the growth the next year.

I don't know how available it is in America, but I have found it a very valuable book.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 5:46 pm
I love Rabbi Twerski's books...all of them. I always feel inspired to change after I read his books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational