Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How much for a chosson and kallah?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:24 pm
What do you think is reasonable gift with the registry or a check? Young couple OOT and he’s learning in Lakewood. Do you always give the same? Do you give something different if you go to the chossona?

I don’t know the couple. I’m neighbors and friends with the parents and children are friends with the younger siblings. Average family finances situation. I’m always nervous about this.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:26 pm
If there is a registry, I try to give one item per plate, like a setting of their china, etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:16 pm
watergirl wrote:
If there is a registry, I try to give one item per plate, like a setting of their china, etc.

They didn’t ask for China. I’m feeling awkward giving a toaster and a can opener.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:19 pm
$150-250 per couple is typical in my area. But also if it's on their registry it means they want that toaster!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They didn’t ask for China. I’m feeling awkward giving a toaster and a can opener.

Why do you feel awkward? You are literally giving them what they asked for. You can add a cute note like ‘hope you can enjoy many toasted tuna sandwiches for years to come’

I figure out how much I’m giving, log into registry and pick accordingly.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:56 pm
Let me add a question- How much to give for a second wedding?
Late 40's, professionals, financially stable (more than I am), already own furnished house and have all dishes/appliances (no registery), some kids home & some married.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 3:44 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
$150-250 per couple is typical in my area. But also if it's on their registry it means they want that toaster!

Wow wow that is a lot to give as a gift to a couple you don't even know. At least in my circles it is.
We don't even contribute that much for a niece/ nephew getting married.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:08 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Wow wow that is a lot to give as a gift to a couple you don't even know. At least in my circles it is.
We don't even contribute that much for a niece/ nephew getting married.

That was the reason I listed location and background information. I would have to get nearly everything left on the registry to get to that dollar amount. The girl is so unpretentious and humble. I want to be sure to give generously but not offensively.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:04 pm
Bump

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:20 pm
In my circles, $150 would be the minimum for the wedding of a friend’s child but in my circle wedding invitations are limited to people who the family actually wants to be there and so it isn’t like some circles where it appears it’s seems to be an open invitation with some people not coming to the ceremony and reception.

Is the only thing on the registry a toaster. For my most recent wedding I bundled together a few of the items they had requested. They were also relatively simple stuff and my friend’s explained that they had a very small apartment and so they really did want exactly what they were asking for.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 4:11 am
I received 18-36 dollar checks and was very appreciative. Oot.

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 11:00 am
Bundle together a few items from their registry.

ddmom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 1:20 pm
I think it depends the most on what you can afford!

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 1:39 pm
There is a huge range. I would say gifts we got from parents friends were from about $36-$250. Everything was appreciated. If you are going to the wedding and can afford it, I would give at least $70. If not, don’t worry about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics