Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Ex-vaxxer what will do now?
  1  2  3  18  19  20  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:44 pm
I vaccinated my kids according to the books until down the line my middle child was rushed to ER do to vaccine allergy/adverse effects. I have severe vaccine phobia. I did give mmr to those needed after outbreak but now that’s the education being denied if not vaccinated FuLLY what are best option and smart choice. What are you going to do?
Please note this post is NOT for your arguments especially if you were lucky enough to vaccinate without experiencing any side effects.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:48 pm
What kind of adverse effects? What is your doctor advising, given this history?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
What kind of adverse effects? What is your doctor advising, given this history?

The child who had the reaction might be eligible for a true medical exemption.
Additionally, you can ask the dr if you can stay in the office or an hour or two after the shots to watch for a reaction.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:13 pm
I have same problem. I have a child with immune issues that flare up badly when exposed to ANY illness. Flares involve severe phobias, suicidal thoughts, violence against myself and other family members, school refusal, food restrictions and more. I gave the kids missing mmr before the summer and we experienced flaring even though child was on steroids at the time (to suppress immune reaction). He is in middle of being treated for his illness but it takes time...so flares are lessening in severity but still happening.

Now my preschooler needs to be caught up to be allowed into school. She doesn't qualify for medical exemption due to her siblings illness.

(I held off this year (with pediatricians approval, due to other child doing very poorly) on giving any vaccines to any of my kids (we were fully vaccinated before this))

I am panicking because giving one child a vaccine will cause untold reactions to the other that I personally can't handle right now.

Pediatrician spoke to Department of Health at length and they agreed that I can do them slowly (not all at once as is now the law in NYS).
However slowly I do them, it will still cause many many issues at home (some of them quite dangerous).

Right now, I'm hating this new law for putting my family into this quandary. Again, kids were all up to date on vaccines until a year and half ago...and Department of health is cracking down on medical exemptions as well. You need to have personally had an anaphylactic reaction to a specific vaccine to her an exemption to another dose of THAT vaccine...
I hate this. Is anyone coming to my house to see and help while my child goes crazy? I need to give said child indefinite steroids (not safe at all), so that other child can be allowed to school (keep in mind, she already had most first doses of most vaccines)?
I'm mad and panicking...

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:26 pm
Why aren't people getting together and setting up some type of homeschooling in someone's house?

Sebastian

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:33 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have same problem. I have a child with immune issues that flare up badly when exposed to ANY illness. Flares involve severe phobias, suicidal thoughts, violence against myself and other family members, school refusal, food restrictions and more. I gave the kids missing mmr before the summer and we experienced flaring even though child was on steroids at the time (to suppress immune reaction). He is in middle of being treated for his illness but it takes time...so flares are lessening in severity but still happening.

Now my preschooler needs to be caught up to be allowed into school. She doesn't qualify for medical exemption due to her siblings illness.

(I held off this year (with pediatricians approval, due to other child doing very poorly) on giving any vaccines to any of my kids (we were fully vaccinated before this))

I am panicking because giving one child a vaccine will cause untold reactions to the other that I personally can't handle right now.

Pediatrician spoke to Department of Health at length and they agreed that I can do them slowly (not all at once as is now the law in NYS).
However slowly I do them, it will still cause many many issues at home (some of them quite dangerous).

Right now, I'm hating this new law for putting my family into this quandary. Again, kids were all up to date on vaccines until a year and half ago...and Department of health is cracking down on medical exemptions as well. You need to have personally had an anaphylactic reaction to a specific vaccine to her an exemption to another dose of THAT vaccine...
I hate this. Is anyone coming to my house to see and help while my child goes crazy? I need to give said child indefinite steroids (not safe at all), so that other child can be allowed to school (keep in mind, she already had most first doses of most vaccines)?
I'm mad and panicking...

I'm so sorry. That sounds so hard. I hope your ped can work with you to make it manageable. Is sending the vaxxer kid to a relative for a few days an option?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:41 pm
You are not alone. So many” non-vaxers” used to “do the right thing.” I also always vaccinated on schedule until my oldest DS had a seizure hours after receiving his vaccine. I am not alternative in any way. After this we stopped and always used a religious exemption. Now I got this child a medical exemption and the school is denying it because BH my son is a healthy kid. It’s messed up. No one can imagine that there really can be problems until CVS it happens to them. I feel the same way about the government dictating what schools can teach. You want to veto religious exemptions but get up in arms when the state wants to control what we teach our kids. Can’t have it both ways.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:44 pm

I'm mad and panicking...

That sounds very challenging. Is there any way you can stay at home with one child and dh stays elsewhere with the other child for the period of time needed to get through this?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:48 pm
That’s a crazy situation. I’ve never heard of flare-ups to include suicidal thoughts etc - is that from existing psychological issues your child has, I.e. would he/she get them even if a placebo were given?

In any case, the fact that one of your kids had an actual bad reaction to a vaccine seems to me like your other kids should have medical exemptions - I don’t know what to tell you. Are there other doctors you would go to who could give you one?

B’hatzlacha Raba.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 2:48 pm
You can thank the quacks that didn't stay home during the outbreak and made anti vax rallies instead. Pure geniuses

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 3:41 pm
Sebastian wrote:
You can thank the quacks that didn't stay home during the outbreak and made anti vax rallies instead. Pure geniuses

I am not the OP but the other amother whose son had seizures. I do not blame the quacks. They were trying to protect exemptions that could have kept my kid in school. I don’t agree with everything done but atleast they tried.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
That’s a crazy situation. I’ve never heard of flare-ups to include suicidal thoughts etc - is that from existing psychological issues your child has, I.e. would he/she get them even if a placebo were given?

In any case, the fact that one of your kids had an actual bad reaction to a vaccine seems to me like your other kids should have medical exemptions - I don’t know what to tell you. Are there other doctors you would go to who could give you one?

B’hatzlacha Raba.

He has PANDAS which IS autoimmune in nature. Post infectious encephalitis. His flares are neurological and psychological in nature...not just suicidal but motor abnormalities etc...he flares when exposed to illness because his antibodies attack his brain again. This is per neuroligist... she suggests steroids for him while I give others shots...he has had it way too often already and I'm in huge dilemma.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 3:52 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I am not the OP but the other amother whose son had seizures. I do not blame the quacks. They were trying to protect exemptions that could have kept my kid in school. I don’t agree with everything done but atleast they tried.

you should blame them. had they stayed home, the outbreak would've ended much much sooner and there's no way the assembly/state senate would've had the votes to remove the religious exceptions. But after 6+ mo of measles, there was a lot of anger towards the anti vaxers for insisting measles was harmless and there was no need to stay home if not vaxxed and that anger turned into the bill that only permits medical exceptions. The same thing happened in CA.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:04 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The child who had the reaction might be eligible for a true medical exemption.
Additionally, you can ask the dr if you can stay in the office or an hour or two after the shots to watch for a reaction.

Sweet dreams. Getting a medical exemption is nearly impossible in NYS. This is one of the mistakes pro-vaxxers make in discussing mandates and exemptions. You can check up the contraindications to vaccines, and you'll see that a person needs to be nearly dead before a medical exemption will be granted.

As an example, my kids' pediatrician, who was also my pediatrician (to give you an idea of her age), said that in her entire career, she gave only 2 medical exemptions. She said the DOH makes it very hard on her personally, she needs to provide her home number and cell number, and they're down her back, so she only gives such exemptions to kids who currently have cancer and undergoing chemo.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:09 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

B’hatzlacha Raba.

Nope. Not by NYS law.

It is very unfortunate that we got to this point where those who have never been affected adversely by vaccines say "Get a medical exemption" while those who have actually been in the trenches know the real deal: Medical exemptions are almost impossible to get.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:09 pm
Sebastian wrote:
you should blame them. had they stayed home, the outbreak would've ended much much sooner and there's no way the assembly/state senate would've had the votes to remove the religious exceptions. But after 6+ mo of measles, there was a lot of anger towards the anti vaxers for insisting measles was harmless and there was no need to stay home if not vaxxed and that anger turned into the bill that only permits medical exceptions. The same thing happened in CA.

You are so misinformed. But carry on.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:11 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Sweet dreams. Getting a medical exemption is nearly impossible in NYS. This is one of the mistakes pro-vaxxers make in discussing mandates and exemptions. You can check up the contraindications to vaccines, and you'll see that a person needs to be nearly dead before a medical exemption will be granted.

As an example, my kids' pediatrician, who was also my pediatrician (to give you an idea of her age), said that in her entire career, she gave only 2 medical exemptions. She said the DOH makes it very hard on her personally, she needs to provide her home number and cell number, and they're down her back, so she only gives such exemptions to kids who currently have cancer and undergoing chemo.

She's only had two patients with cancer in her entire career?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:11 pm
He has PANDAS which IS autoimmune in nature. Post infectious encephalitis. His flares are neurological and psychological in nature...not just suicidal but motor abnormalities etc...he flares when exposed to illness because his antibodies attack his brain again. This is per neuroligist... she suggests steroids for him while I give others shots...he has had it way too often already and I'm in huge dilemma.

That’s really terrible and I’m so sorry. Wishing your son a refuah shelema. It’s not right you should have to go through this, to be pressured to vaccinated your kids when they are clearly contraindicated for it.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:15 pm
Sebastian wrote:

THE NERVE!

To tell a suffering mother whom to blame. What do you want from her? How is this going to help her now? Where are the legistlators who passed this law as a punitive measure (because "there was a lot of anger towards the anti-vaxxers") to help her be an exception to the law? Some legistlators actually agreed that they voted on the repeal but that medical exemptions need to be widened. But that didn't happen. In fact, new DOH guidelines actually tightened medical exemptions.

You think you can sit on your self-righteous horse and say whose fault it is. As if you know....
The vote DID NOT pass in the state assembly. The vote was a tie. Only when they RE-voted and the votes were tied AGAIN, and Speaker Heastie called over Nader Sayegh and told him to change his vote, that's when it passed. Democracy at its finest....

Sebastian

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:17 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
You are so misinformed. But carry on.

It passed the health committee by one vote. It was not easy for them to pass it.
Page 1 of 20   1  2  3  18  19  20  Next Recent Topics