Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Medicaid income rules

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:36 pm
When you apply for Medicaid, it asks what 2020 income will be. I’m pregnant and so the income is significantly higher. However, what happens if we calculate wrong and we end up making 20k more. What happens then? Will they make us repay? Anyone have any experience with this?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:38 pm
What state do you live in? I was never asked to project income, only what income is now. You're supposed to report any changes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:43 pm
NY. They ask for projected 2020 income.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:51 pm
It' a hard question with no easy answer.
My husband is self employed and we always estimate. I usually write what we made the year before and a little more if I expect more jobs.
Most ppl don't get a 20k raise without knowing about it but if it's the case keep track of your income during the yr and let them know as soon as you go over that amount!
(For example you told them $50000/yr but in august you already made $45000 call them so you don't get in trouble unless you're still eligible acording to income& family size!)

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:09 pm
As amother hotpink stated, if it looks like you are going to make more, you need to call and let the NYS Marketplace know. If you are going to go over the income cap for Medicaid, you will have to get different insurance, but what you pay will still depend on your income. You can always call them and ask for yourself any questions you have. Here are the income guidlines for 2019:
C:\fakepath\Screenshot_20190828-220231_Samsung Internet.jpg

Because you are pregnant, you count as a household of two (cool, right?), plus whoever else is in your home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:24 pm
Ok this makes sense. I am actually due Iyh in February and that’s really why I want Medicaid (otherwise I wouldn’t be income eligible). Our income fluctuates bec my dh is self employed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics