Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How long do you keep an open bottle of milk?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:21 am
My small family didn’t manage to finish one bottle in two weeks. Just wondering at what point should it be thrown out? I can’t do the smell test because milk always smells sour to me.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:27 am
I have that problem with hummus.
Always tastes like it turned-even brand new containers. At 40, I still don't know what it tastes like.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:28 am
In the US and Canada, chalav stam can easily last 2 weeks. Chalav yisrael, in my experience, went sour in a matter of days.

(It's nothing intrinsic to chalav yisrael. In Israel chalav yisrael lasts for 2 weeks also. I don't know what accounts for the difference.)

An easy way to test milk for freshness is to pour it into hot water and see if it curdles.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
In the US and Canada, chalav stam can easily last 2 weeks. Chalav yisrael, in my experience, went sour in a matter of days.

(It's nothing intrinsic to chalav yisrael. In Israel chalav yisrael lasts for 2 weeks also. I don't know what accounts for the difference.)

An easy way to test milk for freshness is to pour it into hot water and see if it curdles.

Where I live the chalov yisroel milk Depends on the brand.
One I buy lasts forever, past the date sometimes
Another brand always goes bad.

I pour into a cup and smell.
Slightly sour milk can still be used for pancakes, waffles and muffins.

tsc3

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:45 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

It's because of the conditions the chalav yisrael milk is brought to the store in. I heard it's left out etc... I even saw a petition about it recently on yeshiva world.
I never understood why the milk is bad way before the exp date while visiting the US until a relative told me this, because in Israel it's still good past the date...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My small family didn’t manage to finish one bottle in two weeks. Just wondering at what point should it be thrown out? I can’t do the smell test because milk always smells sour to me.

Dh pointed out to me that the CY milk bottles always smell sour because there's milk near the cap that doesn't get wiped away and then they seal it and the top smells.
So buy a new bottle, pour some into a clean cup, and see if it still smells sour to you.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:47 am
This works better than the smell test: pour some milk into a hot cup of coffee
As long as it doesn't curdle it's fine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics