Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Our Boys

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:14 am
imdb, Our Boys
Did you watch the series? I don't have any plans to see it, but this article from aish? How accurate is the writer? Opinions on the series. Like someone in the comments pointed out, it was made in Israel, not Hollywood, but do you think they are influenced by Hollywood?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:19 am
I have been watching it. I do not agree with the article whatsoever. Both tragedies were terrible, the point of the show was not to focus on the deaths of the Jewish boys, but rather the investigation into Muhammed Abu Kheir's death and how all 4 deaths led to a big war and uprising in e"y. I don't see why everything has to be changed into a political statement where the non jews are wrong and we are right. If you watch the show, and if you are a decent human being, you can not but feel pain for what Muhammed's family went through as well. They were also victims...

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:06 am
I have no thoughts of watching this series. Its way to close to home for me. I live 5 minutes away from where the boys were kidnapped from. It is way too ptsd/triggering for me to even think of watching this.
And I am not interested in watching something that is more biased toward the arabs than what happened with the 3 boys.

Delores

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I have been watching it. I do not agree with the article whatsoever. Both tragedies were terrible, the point of the show was not to focus on the deaths of the Jewish boys, but rather the investigation into Muhammed Abu Kheir's death and how all 4 deaths led to a big war and uprising in e"y. I don't see why everything has to be changed into a political statement where the non jews are wrong and we are right. If you watch the show, and if you are a decent human being, you can not but feel pain for what Muhammed's family went through as well. They were also victims...

The show is called our boys yet focuses almost entirely on one of the four murdered- the only Muslim.
After Abu Khadir was brutally murdered, Israelis from all sides of the political spectrum denounced it. The murderer was a certified crazy who threatened to kill his own kid (years earlier)
The murders of the three Jewish teens were celebrated by Palestinians and arabs around the region. Abu MaZen provides a monthly salary to the families of the terrorists. I'll end with a quote by a US congresswoman to illustrate how the Muslim world reacts to horrific terror: "some people did something".

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 2:01 pm
I watched a few episodes but am not continuing. I’m disturbed that the show does not say anything at all about Eyal Naftali and Gilad AH. Who they were, what they did etc. just 3 young innocent boys (“Our Boys”) who were just looking for transportation.
I’m not denying that what happened to the Arab boy wasn’t horrible. Of course it was.
And the fact that the series was made by Israelis is really sad.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Why focus on one at the exclusion of 3 others? Why not make room in our hearts for all 4?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 2:12 pm
I only watched the first episode because a) I didn’t feel the need to see that Palestinian boy murdered and I assume they showed it graphically b) I felt like the focus was going to be on the israeli revenge and it didn’t feel balanced to me. the murder of the israeli boys was very glossed over imo.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 5:10 pm
I've just read the OP and clicked the link. Perfect place to offer this:
https://www.yutorah.org/lectur.....-in-/

This was a shiur Rabbi Schachter gave during the 3 weeks. Listen to the whole thing, by all means, but I suggest going to about minute 18:00, where he talks about going to a cemetery in Modiin, listen for about five minutes. (You'll know when to stop.)

This is who we are.

cbsp

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 6:47 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

In this case, however, the phrase "Our Boys" was specifically used when they were searching for the 3 Jewish boys, hy"d. I think had the title been something else the film (series?) would not have captured the attention and provoked the outrage that it has.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 6:53 pm
I watched the first episode and plan to watch more. Very well done imo. I don’t find it biased so far, just terribly sad and upsetting- which is how I feel about the murder of all the boys.obviously the murder of the three Israeli boys is what I think about more, especially since I knew one of them, but I have to say that so far, at least in the first episode, I feel the show shows compassions to the Israeli perspective.

Last edited by tichellady on Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:00 pm
so not ok to use the title "our boys" and use this jewish tragedy to highlight perceived palestinian persecution vile tho that individual tragedy is
like they are sneakily getting more initial viewership by pretending to be about something other than what they are offering
tell the truth about what you are about and let people honestly decide whether to watch

also much of it has been fictionalized and all mixed in with documentary clips -- very inaccurate and misleading

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:10 pm
tichellady wrote:
I watched the first episode and plan to watch more. Very well done imo. I don’t find it biased so far, just terribly sad and upsetting- which is how I feel about the murder of all the boys.obviously the murder of the three Israeli boys is what I think about more, especially since I knew one of them, but I have to say that so far, at least in the first episode, I feel the show shows compassions to the Israeli perspective.

Idk, they showed how much Israelis were impacted by the deaths and waiting to hear news but they carefully didn’t show anything gruesome about the deaths and we don’t get to know the boys at all. Whereas we got to know Mohammed and his family well in ep 1 and the foreshadowing was that his murder would be clearly depicted. Correct me if I’m wrong though I stopped watching.

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:17 pm
Quote:
I've just read the OP and clicked the link. Perfect place to offer this:
https://www.yutorah.org/lectur.....t-him-in-/

This was a shiur Rabbi Schachter gave during the 3 weeks. Listen to the whole thing, by all means, but I suggest going to about minute 18:00, where he talks about going to a cemetery in Modiin, listen for about five minutes. (You'll know when to stop.)
Beautiful, PF, thank you for that link.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:47 pm
Thanks, Penguin. It really was, wasn't it.
Here's more food for thought: https://www.aish.com/jw/me/Our.....?s=mm

badtichelday, I take what you have to say very seriously. And I haven't seen the series, just the buzz. But can you see why you're outnumbered? Is it a matter of, well, it could have been so much worse, this wasn't so bad, or is it objectively good in your opinion? What are your predictions for future episodes? You don't have to answer though I am curious.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 10:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks, Penguin. It really was, wasn't it.
Here's more food for thought: https://www.aish.com/jw/me/Our.....?s=mm

badtichelday, I take what you have to say very seriously. And I haven't seen the series, just the buzz. But can you see why you're outnumbered? Is it a matter of, well, it could have been so much worse, this wasn't so bad, or is it objectively good in your opinion? What are your predictions for future episodes? You don't have to answer though I am curious.

That's the link I posted besides from imdb. Smile That's why I started the thread.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:00 pm
netanyahu asked for a boycott of it -- with good reason

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:11 pm
yo'ma wrote:
That's the link I posted besides from imdb. Smile That's why I started the thread.

Oops. I went straight to the imdb link and missed that link in your OP. Sorry about that.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 2:32 am
anyone finish the show yet?

does anyone know the name of the yeshiva in har nof that yosef chaim's father runs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics