Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you make money per hour then your dh?
1  2  Next

Do you make more money per hour then dh?
No   
 31%  [ 69 ]
No - bec I don't work  
 19%  [ 43 ]
Yes   
 36%  [ 80 ]
Yes - bec dh doest work  
 9%  [ 22 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 221

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 7:56 pm
Just curious because I do (not overall though bec I work less hours).

And how do you feel about it?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:09 pm
Yes.

Doesn't bother me. We both work hard to support our family.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:17 pm
Yes. Never cared.
Married 15 years.
I used to make waaay more. But he is catching up now. If I wasn’t family oriented my earning power would triple him but I have a family and need the flex time. He would love for me to make more. Wink

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:26 pm
Yes. DH is a med student ....

happyone

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:28 pm
as long as the Bills are paid who cares who earns more?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:30 pm
Yes
It doesn’t bother my dh

Ravenclaw

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:39 pm
Yes here too.

I just find it so surprising how many people answered yes... especially with gender pay gap and all.

Why do you suppose this is?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:46 pm
Yes, because DH is between jobs. Sad

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:50 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes here too.

I just find it so surprising how many people answered yes... especially with gender pay gap and all.

I suppose this is because women who make more than their husbands are much more likely to open and read such a thread

boat

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:06 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes here too.

Men that have been in kollel for a number of years enter the workforce later than their wives.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:17 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes here too.

No one is saying their DH was in kollel. Mine wasn’t.

I think frum girls tend to aim for the highest paying careers. And Tri-state areas tend to pay very well for some family friendly careers.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:36 pm
Neither of us gets paid by the hour. I’m salaried and get paid by the year, I never calculated what it would be per hour, and dh is self employed and bills by the job. I don’t think he keeps track of the hours he puts into a job though he probably should. He works more hours than I do. I make at least twice what he does per year. Doesn’t bother me, probably bothers him.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:55 pm
Yes, DH is in kollel, but even if he wouldn't be, I don't know if I wouldn't make more bec. he's really shy, quiet guy who doesn't market himself and would never ask for a raise in his life, whereas I am quite ambitious always have my eye on promotion/raise/potential, etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:57 pm
My husband had never been a per hour worker. He has always been a globally paid worker. I have always been a per hour worker and always have made less than him.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:23 pm
I make 1/3 more. I started working a couple years before he did and I got super lucky with my job. He is shy and doesn't want to inconvenience anyone. I'm all elbows out type of person. Also he always applied for jobs that we're beneath him because he doesn't believe in himself. I applied for my current job knowing they'd probably not take me.. they did anyway.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:24 pm
I make 1/3 more. I started working a couple years before he did and I got super lucky with my job. He is shy and doesn't want to inconvenience anyone. I'm all elbows out type of person. Also he always applied for jobs that we're beneath him because he doesn't believe in himself. I applied for my current job knowing they'd probably not take me.. they did anyway.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:41 pm
I do not make more than DH now, but I did in the first years of our marriage (probably for the first 5-6 years of 15).
I think the results will be skewed because you will attract mostly women who earn more. I almost didn't answer because I figured it's not relevant to me.
Maybe rephrase the question neutrality as - your salary per hour vs. DH, who earns more?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:57 am
Well, we've had all cases and it changes nothing

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:55 am
I find it interesting that a quarter of the responses have a one-income household. I thought that was relegated to history.

Metukah

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:53 am
Rappel wrote:
I find it interesting that a quarter of the responses have a one-income household. I thought that was relegated to history.

I think it depends on place. I would say that in Israel it's relegated to history, not so much in USA though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics