Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
From a former teacher
Previous  1  2

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I am a nurse lol. All you need is an associate's degree (altho I do hold a bsn) a social work degree requires a masters. ALOT more expensive and time consuming. Where I live social worker starting salary is 35-40k working full time. Nurses start at 60k.

Yup but I’m not cleaning bed pans lol.

All jokes aside. I’m a social worker and totally agree our pay is pathetic, it’s partially because often it’s harder to find ft employment. Nurses are just more needed- and all the ones I have met in my life so far are worth their weight in gold!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I am a nurse lol. All you need is an associate's degree (altho I do hold a bsn) a social work degree requires a masters. ALOT more expensive and time consuming. Where I live social worker starting salary is 35-40k working full time. Nurses start at 60k.

This does not make sense, unless you got your nursing degree in 1-800-dial-a-degree. I am not a nurse but I have two good friends who are, and the schooling is intense. It may be only an associate degree, but the schools they went to had two rigorous years of nursing classes plus clinicals, plus they had to do tons of prerequisites. For a social work degree, you can do all your classes for the BA in six months, (and I know people who did it) , it's not rigorous at all. The masters does take some time and money, but so do nursing classes.

And most nursing jobs nowadays require a BSN.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:59 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
This does not make sense, unless you got your nursing degree in 1-800-dial-a-degree. I am not a nurse but I have two good friends who are, and the schooling is intense. It may be only an associate degree, but the schools they went to had two rigorous years of nursing classes plus clinicals, plus they had to do tons of prerequisites. For a social work degree, you can do all your classes for the BA in six months, (and I know people who did it) , it's not rigorous at all. The masters does take some time and money, but so do nursing classes.

And most nursing jobs nowadays require a BSN.

It is only in the tristate area (where nurses make far more like 85k) that a bsn is 'required'. Nursing is science based so it's definitely more challenging material in school. Still it's very doable. In social work school you also spend two years doing clinicals, unless you do some online nobody program. Time and money wise you come out with alot more bang for your buck with a nursing degree. If you get a masters in nursing you are a nurse practitioner making a very decent salary at the same cost as a social work degree that makes very little money.

Anyway this is do off topic I just think it's strange that nurses are often looped together with other very low paying proffesional that require a large amount of schooling.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics