Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you make money per hour then your dh?
Previous  1  2

Do you make more money per hour then dh?
No   
 31%  [ 69 ]
No - bec I don't work  
 19%  [ 43 ]
Yes   
 36%  [ 80 ]
Yes - bec dh doest work  
 9%  [ 22 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 221

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 6:59 am
Rappel wrote:
I find it interesting that a quarter of the responses have a one-income household. I thought that was relegated to history.
Not at all, and not even in israel. There are quite a few households that I can think of where one spouse works. If it works out financially...
I have a feeling that many of the women answering are also in the kollel world, so they are the sole provider by choice.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:04 am
There are many housewives, especially with little kids - less so with big ones unless they're old - but there are more and more women doing a little stuff at home online etc. Still I have many friends not working/very part time/home/on off

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:43 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Yes. DH is a med student ....

Me too!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:38 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Me too!

Cool! DH is an M2 In NJ. can I ask where you are and which year you're holding?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:37 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Cool! DH is an M2 In NJ. can I ask where you are and which year you're holding?

Were in NY He's an MS1 Smile

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:39 am
yes dh works in jewish communal interests

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:13 pm
Rappel wrote:
I find it interesting that a quarter of the responses have a one-income household. I thought that was relegated to history.

If you have a bunch of little kids, what you pay in childcare and sanity and quality of life, it makes sense for women to take out time at that stage. And then of course it can be hard to get back into the workforce later.

A lot of women here come from chassidic communities where being a SAHM is very much encouraged, and higher education is often discouraged. And frum jobs that don't need qualifications often pay women so little it doesn't even pay to work and pay childcare.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:21 pm
I never calculated how much my husband makes per hour but I make a lot per hour so I’m guessing yes. Though I only work 2 hours a day! And need to pay for 4 hours of babysitting so I’m not coming home with that much Wink he beats me 6 fold overall lol.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:52 pm
My husband makes around 3 times what I do per hour, but he's in kollel and so only works a little bit around sedarim, here and there. Whereas I work as much as I can around my kids being home from school.

Metukah

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 5:29 pm
I'm qualified in a not so common, high demand field, so I make alot per hour. Way more than dh. It doesn't disturb me and its a non issue between us. I'm sure dh would prefer it if he were the higher earner, but that's the way it is.

I hope to stay in my field so there will always be a max I could earn. I hope dh will be successful in his own business/es, so potentially he may earn way more than me.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 5:34 pm
Yes, I make more per hour; however, he can make more per Project. I am an engineer and DH is an architect and expediter. However, we generally work together and I think of it as money made together v. my hours and bills and his. We also give one another a lot of input.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 6:09 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Yes, I make more per hour; however, he can make more per Project. I am an engineer and DH is an architect and expediter. However, we generally work together and I think of it as money made together v. my hours and bills and his. We also give one another a lot of input.

Wow power couple:) so nice!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 6:15 pm
Haha, right now yeah, DH is a surgical resident and I think we worked out he makes like $10 an hour 🙄

But IYH that will change in a few years!!!! Amen.

giselle

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:11 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes here too.

I just find it so surprising how many people answered yes... especially with gender pay gap and all.

Why do you suppose this is?

I work per diem, so I don’t get any of the benefits that he does. Per diem jobs often pay more per hour. He still makes quite a lot more than I do.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:35 pm
Like many here- Technically I earn more per hour, but he works more hours than I do so his annual is higher.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:40 pm
Thank G-d he makes more an hour than I do.
I have job flexibility and benefits, but my salary, if you break it down to hourly, is pathetic.
-the NH MSW who started the S/O

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 10:23 pm
I make about twice as much as him a year because I make more hourly and work more hours. It does bother me. A lot. I don't want to be the primary bread winner. I want to be able to focus more on the family and him to work and make more. He isnt motivated though.

To the person who asked how/why it happens--the career I chose pays more.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Yes, DH is in kollel, but even if he wouldn't be, I don't know if I wouldn't make more bec. he's really shy, quiet guy who doesn't market himself and would never ask for a raise in his life, whereas I am quite ambitious always have my eye on promotion/raise/potential, etc.

I just want to tell you that I used to think just like you. I never believed my husband can make enough to support us and he may as well stay in kollel forever. Well, I still don’t think he will ever open a lucrative business BUT he has proven himself to be a very responsible and devoted employee whose loyalty and earnestness has gotten him far in his career, and yes, he makes more than me.
Believe in him, there’s more than one personality type that can be successful.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 2:18 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I make about twice as much as him a year because I make more hourly and work more hours. It does bother me. A lot. I don't want to be the primary bread winner. I want to be able to focus more on the family and him to work and make more. He isnt motivated though.

To the person who asked how/why it happens--the career I chose pays more.

I had to stop for a moment to think about whether I posted this or not. I'm in the same boat. I make between twice to three times as much as DH. Both per hour and the total. I don't want to be the main bread winner and it bothers me. I work way more than full time when I should be with the kids. He works very hard and also very long hours but he's just less skilled and less of a go-getter...I can't really foresee his salary going up much, if ever. We have bills to pay, so I stepped up.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 2:58 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes here too.

I just find it so surprising how many people answered yes... especially with gender pay gap and all.

Why do you suppose this is?

Pay gap I believe refers to two people equally qualified doing same work but man makes more.

In frum couples with woman making more I’d guess often she has a better secular education and began working at chosen career while dh in kollel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics