Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Take Jewelry for yomtoc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:28 am
I'm flying to israel for yomtov. I'll be in a hotel for yomtov. I want to wear all my diamond jewelry. whats recommended? to fly wearing it or stash away in suitcase and buy insurance or to be safe leave it home? what have you done? what was your experience?

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:37 am
I'd leave it home in a safe and wear costume jewelry.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:40 am
When I have flown with valuable jewelry (rarely, but it has happened) I've kept it in ha d luggage, as close to me as possible without actually wearing it on the flight.

Have you also planned what you will do with it at the hotel when you are not wearing it? During Chol HaMoed, or even if you just go swimming. I don't know what kind of value you are talking about, but how much are you willing to rely on the safe in your hotel room? Some kind of insurance sounds essential.

Beyla

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:42 am
Everything I would take with me I would wear 24/7 during the flight and my stay there.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:42 am
keep it in carry on luggage well zipped
keep it in hotel safe
make sure its insured before taking it anywhere
especially traveling

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:56 am
NEVER put jewelry in checked luggage. NEVER.
Whatever is valuable I wear 24/7 when I travel - generally just diamond stud earrings and my rings and a diamond solitaire necklace.
Everything else I bring is costume or just gold, not super expensive. I have insurance on all my gold jewelry in case anything would get lost but I don't want to risk any diamond jewelry. Any jewelry I don't wear on the plane gets packed in purse/carry on, never out of sight.
Any other valuable jewelry left at home is in a safe.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:12 am
Leave it home. Not worth the risk.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:16 am
Take it in your hand luggage. Only a few pieces you’ll have with you always.

The rest leave at home in a safe.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:09 am
Not worth being concerned over it. Buy silver with cz to wear instead.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:19 am
Id say leave it home but if you are taking it, dont take a cleaning lady. The cleaning ladies are known to steal bcz they know your just a tourist and not going to see them ever again

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:20 am
If this is truly all your diamond jewellery, then you can't afford to lose it. Leave it home.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:16 pm
Even hand luggage can wind up gate checked, so don't rely on that for your jewelry .
I was on a packed flight home from Florida once and the flight attendants wanted to gate check a frum woman's bag. She was hysterical because she kept saying all her jewelry was inside. (Foolish to announce to the plane imo)
In the end, they found a spot far from her seat, with no way for her to keep an eye on it.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:21 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Even hand luggage can wind up gate checked, so don't rely on that for your jewelry .
I was on a packed flight home from Florida once and the flight attendants wanted to gate check a frum woman's bag. She was hysterical because she kept saying all her jewelry was inside. (Foolish to announce to the plane imo)
In the end, they found a spot far from her seat, with no way for her to keep an eye on it.

I keep it in a cosmetics bag/ pouch in my crossbody purse. Travel a lot and have family that travels a lot. We always do this. Store in hotel safe. Bring a sensible amount and if u won’t wear it now then when? Usually only bring one of expensive pieces like earrings/ necklace so those I wear a whole when I can’t lock the safe. Also leave the do not disturb so they are not in the room those days.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

You should always have a small handbag with you to put things like passports, cash, laptops etc if they want to gate check your bag. And I guess jewellery.

mommyX2

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:54 am
ive worn my rings but bought CZs for earrings etc. I didnt want to have have to worry about it!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 1:07 pm
Buy cz. Always use those when you sleep in hotels or travel by public transportation . There are beautifull fake ones

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 1:19 pm
I leave most at home and wear whatever I feel the need to bring.
I put necklaces inside my shirt and wear sleeves which are tight at the wrist and bracelets inside.

I would not but in luggage and I would be hesitant to even put on my purse/cross body bag.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:12 pm
Fly with it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics