Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o advice about dress - over/underdressed accidents
Previous  1  2  3

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:16 pm
Have anyone here been to a bucharian Simcha?

We were invited to an Upsherin BBQ. I wore a nice maxi dress with a shell under. My dd wore a denim skirt with a pretty blouse. I thought I was over dressed.

When I got there EVERYONE was in long beaded gowns. The guest that we’re not family were in what I consider very nice wedding dresses.

Since it was so close to home, my daughter just made a comment that she was just dropping me off and would be back later.

Of course she quickly went home and got all dressed up.

Note to self - Buharian means SUPER UPSCALE

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:03 pm
My brother’s Shabbos Sheva brochos was in Brooklyn. I had brought a dressy outfit for Friday night and another one for Shabbos day. I didn’t know that everyone changes into a whole different less dressy outfit for Shalosh Seudos. I was the ONLY one wearing the same thing as the morning. I wanted to know how everyone knew this “rule”, because it sure wasn’t around when I lived in Brooklyn.
A few people even came over to me to ask me why I didn’t change....awkward.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:23 pm
About shabbos sheva brachos, in chassidishe circles Friday night you dress up fancier, but when I went to a shabbos sheva brachos not in my circles, I realized everyone was dressed up fancier by morning seuda. Also there were kiddush guests in morn, wheras in chassidishe circles mazel tov guests rather come after Friday night seuda.

mommyX2

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:40 am
I can never get the switch from stockings to tights and tights back to stockings right. when I try to do it by weather I dont make the switch as fast as everyone else. I should prob go by succos and pesach!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:16 am
mommyX2 wrote:
I can never get the switch from stockings to tights and tights back to stockings right. when I try to do it by weather I dont make the switch as fast as everyone else. I should prob go by succos and pesach!

Where I live they are interchangable. I still wear stockings in the winter. I like how the nude looks with brown and gray booties versus black. I generally don't even wear black tights. If I'm too cold for stockings I go to leggings and fleece lined leggings. (Which are black)

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:56 am
I wear fleece-lined tights in cold weather, and long skirts in warm weather. Not interested in stockings.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:48 am
I'm generally in a casual crowd (frum etc) and am often overdressed and mistaken either for family simcha, or for american

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:12 pm
Amother natural--bitter? Not at all. I CHOOSE to dress differently. If I really wanted to, I could choose to dress in Lakewood style when I visit. Did you not understand my post? I CHOOSE to defy the Blacking of America. I strive to spread cheer, not gloom, wherever I go. Dressing in deep mourning black or its cousins charcoal and medium grey do not spread cheer.

And since I'm clearly not dressing Lakewood style, why would I bother buying bags, hats, shoes, jewelry and other accessories in Lakewood style--which I happen to detest? I dress to please myself, not to please others or to fit in with sheep.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:18 pm
cbg wrote:
Have anyone here been to a bucharian Simcha?

We were invited to an Upsherin BBQ. I wore a nice maxi dress with a shell under. My dd wore a denim skirt with a pretty blouse. I thought I was over dressed.

When I got there EVERYONE was in long beaded gowns. The guest that we’re not family were in what I consider very nice wedding dresses.

Since it was so close to home, my daughter just made a comment that she was just dropping me off and would be back later.

Of course she quickly went home and got all dressed up.

Note to self - Buharian means SUPER UPSCALE

Never been to a Bokharian simcha but attended a mixed ashkenazi/mizrachi wedding. Not sure if the mizrachim were Syrian, Iranian, Iraqi or what. You could tell from the get-go which women were which. The mizrachi ladies were clearly at a PARTY. They looked like exotic birds in their brightly-colored gowns embellished with brilliants and sequins. The ashkenazi ladies, sorry to say, looked like a bunch of crows in funereal black, even the kallah's friends who were in their very early 20s at the most. I, of course, was wearing a color. I was no exotic bird but at least I wasn't a crow. Maybe a parakeet.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:43 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Never been to a Bokharian simcha but attended a mixed ashkenazi/mizrachi wedding. Not sure if the mizrachim were Syrian, Iranian, Iraqi or what. You could tell from the get-go which women were which. The mizrachi ladies were clearly at a PARTY. They looked like exotic birds in their brightly-colored gowns embellished with brilliants and sequins. The ashkenazi ladies, sorry to say, looked like a bunch of crows in funereal black, even the kallah's friends who were in their very early 20s at the most. I, of course, was wearing a color. I was no exotic bird but at least I wasn't a crow. Maybe a parakeet.

Rolling Laughter

sky

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 3:16 pm
dankbar wrote:
For a couple of years color was back in but now were back to the all black trend. Go into any childrens store, the entire wall of clothes is BLACK

I’m so sad to hear that. I’ve been loving the move to color. (Not that I’ll do black, just love that everyone was in color lately)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 3:21 pm
dankbar wrote:
For a couple of years color was back in but now were back to the all black trend. Go into any childrens store, the entire wall of clothes is BLACK

Do you mean the frum clothing stores?
I just shopped in quite a few stores, and, yes, there was black, but also plenty of other pretty colors.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 3:49 pm

This was a hilarious post! I had to “tweet” about that.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:11 pm
dankbar wrote:
When you have Rosh hashana in early September with 90 degrees weather it's pathetic to watch kids sweating in velvets & furs. Sorry.

Wait. Kids are wearing fur? Unless you live in Antarctica, I hope you’re joking

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:13 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Wait. Kids are wearing fur? Unless you live in Antarctica, I hope you’re joking

It's usually faux fur, which looks nice but isn't particularly warm for the winter. Still, it's way too warm for 90 degree weather.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:10 pm
Amother natural--bitter? Not at all. I CHOOSE to dress differently. If I really wanted to, I could choose to dress in Lakewood style when I visit. Did you not understand my post? I CHOOSE to defy the Blacking of America. I strive to spread cheer, not gloom, wherever I go. Dressing in deep mourning black or its cousins charcoal and medium grey do not spread cheer.

And since I'm clearly not dressing Lakewood style, why would I bother buying bags, hats, shoes, jewelry and other accessories in Lakewood style--which I happen to detest? I dress to please myself, not to please others or to fit in with sheep.

I’ve been to both Brooklyn and Lakewood RW weddings lately and honestly, the crowd is full of color. The LBD will always be a wedding stable, but a uniform black-clad crowd? I don’t remember ever seeing that.

Also, what is Lakewood style? From my POV, there seems to be so many different types of people in Lakewood today, from super yeshivish old Lakewood to Uber Haute Couture fashionistas, and the in-betweens who may not have their own sense of style and rely on the local shops to dress them in what’s “in”- but doesn’t this variation pretty much exist in any big city?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics