Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
I hate cooking!!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:11 pm
What do people do that have zero sstisfaction in cooking? I find especially before yom tov when everyone is discussing about how they are filling up their freezers I get even more anxious how I have zero nerves to cook up a storm.

lora

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:16 pm
I think allot of the pressure in cooking is thinking of ideas and trying to follow recipes. for me the most enjoyable cooking is the recipes I know how to make in my dreams and are definitely delicious. maybe try sticking to the staples. and do it slowly, theres plenty of time for 1-2 dishes a week now for the freezer then whatever is best fresh is last.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:35 pm
Go slowly.
You can always buy/ order or have a personal chef cook for you.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:37 pm
I double some dishes so that I have what to put away & freeze for yom tov & also have supper for that day.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:39 pm
Some people share & swap with family or friends. That way there's no need to make hundred dishes, you just make double of fewer dishes & give away half & you receive your friend's other half. You have variety without working so hard to create so many dishes.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:42 pm
Also there nothing wrong with repeats like Rosh Hashana & sukkos may have same menu, you just double whatever you are making, or first days sukkos & second days, especially if you have different guests, they don't need to know that you ate same thing begining of holiday.

giselle

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:07 pm
#metoo

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:11 pm
giselle wrote:
#metoo

Lol same!

If I had time and really had certain staples down to a science, maybe I'd enjoy it more. Instead, it's a headache and a chore.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:14 pm
Is there something wrong with me?
Is it a chassidishe thing (which I am not)?
I think I make lovely meals but everything I make is super easy and I make it all on Erev Yom Tov-night before/afternoon.
I do have teenagers who help, but didn't when they were little.
Are we all making ourselves way too much work? I find when I put the pressure on making a "beautiful " Yom Tov, I get stressed by the cooking/preparing/show and lose the actual Simchat Yom Tov.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:27 pm
Back when cooking was a chore, I used to do partial takeout and cook on yom tov, keeping everything to basics. I have a stocked freezer at this point, but it's only out of necessity and I still look for every possible way to save time (I enjoy cooking very much, but I have little spare time). For now, focus on easy recipes. Soup is basically a dump, boil, and simmer dish with 2 minutes prep time if you use the pre-washed checked, and cut up veggies and herbs. Roasts cooked in sauces require a similar amount of prep. I often just cook up basic rice or the oven farfel recipe on here (which is delicious) for a simple side. If short on time and patience, veggies can be another dump job-- straight from the frozen bag onto a roasting pan. Dunkin Heinz boxed mixes are pareve. They can be doctored beautifully, but will look perfectly nice baked in a bundt pan with some confectioners sugar sprinkled atop.

Serve the same food both nights, and even consider repeating serving for second days. For a light lunch meal on YT, you can pan sear/grill steak and serve it over a salad made with pre-washed/checked greens. Slice up an avocado and a pear while the meat is in the pan, slice a red onion, and throw in some of those already glazed nuts from a bag. Whip up a simple balsamic dressing or use whatever you like from a jar. The same idea can be done for grilled chicken, leftover schnitzel, etc.

If your kids are older, enlist them as sous chefs and have them do the food prep.

Lastly, what do you like to eat? Maybe it would be more enjoyable if you were enthusiastic about the food?

sub

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:44 pm
I would much rather fix the pipe under the sink, change the light bulbs, do the shopping even cleaning. I don’t like to cook. I don’t like to cook. I don’t like to cook. Yes, I am a woman. I don’t like to cook!!!!!
(I did enjoy baking when the kids were little.

The men in this family do the cooking. They love it and think no one can cook better than them. I tell them “go right ahead.”

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Is there something wrong with me?
Is it a chassidishe thing (which I am not)?
I think I make lovely meals but everything I make is super easy and I make it all on Erev Yom Tov-night before/afternoon.
I do have teenagers who help, but didn't when they were little.
Are we all making ourselves way too much work? I find when I put the pressure on making a "beautiful " Yom Tov, I get stressed by the cooking/preparing/show and lose the actual Simchat Yom Tov.

I wonder if it's a chassidishe thing. Smile
It's definitely very common to discuss menus and cook in advance and have fully stocked freezers. I'm chassidish but that's one rat race I never joined and I'm loud and proud about it. I usually decide on a menu several days before yomtov- after consulting those from the past few yrs. Then make a grocery list based on that. I like simple but tasty stuff and make doubles so that I have for Erev Yom Kippur or Sukkos a side or main that I prepared for RH, for instance. I typically spend several hrs on one single day cooking up a storm, both before RH and before Sukkos, and that's enough. It doesn't have to be hard.
The only thing that gives me pressure now is challos. That part I find easier with Pesach. The amount of challos we'll need for the month of Tishrei... !!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I wonder if it's a chassidishe thing. Smile
It's definitely very common to discuss menus and cook in advance and have fully stocked freezers. I'm chassidish but that's one rat race I never joined and I'm loud and proud about it. I usually decide on a menu several days before yomtov- after consulting those from the past few yrs. Then make a grocery list based on that. I like simple but tasty stuff and make doubles so that I have for Erev Yom Kippur or Sukkos a side or main that I prepared for RH, for instance. I typically spend several hrs on one single day cooking up a storm, both before RH and before Sukkos, and that's enough. It doesn't have to be hard.
The only thing that gives me pressure now is challos. That part I find easier with Pesach. The amount of challos we'll need for the month of Tishrei... !!!

I have this magic thing, it is called a bakery.

Or sometimes I will buy the Kinneret frozen ones.

Aylat

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 6:47 am
I do not enjoy cooking and I don't spend days in the kitchen. I make basic tried-and-tested foods that we all like. For YT I have a few special dishes eg my mother-in-law's tzimmes for RH. But I don't make any 'patchke' recipes. I buy dips and baked goods (unless DD makes).

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 10:17 am
This was going around:
Quote:
Prepare a week of non-perishable food before the hurricane. Two boxes of matzah, peanut butter, and crackers.

Two day yom tov: Four meats, five chickens, seventy five side dishes, fifteen salads, and twenty different options for a milichig meal.

In other words, cook the bare necessity.

talented

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:19 pm
me too!!!! : Sad

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:30 pm
Cook easy buy takeout. If you have help (cleaning help, daughters or a capable husband) have them peel and cut the vegetables.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:04 pm
Do not make patchke things.
I was just reading the post with the ground beef stuffed chicken legs and all I could think of is why on earth would someone make such a patchke?
Deboning the chicken is way to much work and making chopped meat with spices is another job in and of its self.
Chicken legs on the bone with a nice (jarred) marinade, and a meat loaf squished in its own tin pan. Done.

If someone else wants to make the fancy dish, I'm happy to eat it, but it is not happening in my house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking