Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Easy wholesome school snacks
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 6:31 am
Pickles

keym

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:02 am
Pickles
Hot peppers
Popcorn
I make whole wheat banana muffins- not really healthy, but not as junky. And a plus it's way more filling than the average bag of chips or super snacks so they're scrounging less.

Teomima

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:31 am
Our healthy-ish homemade snacks: pita chips (oven toasted pita with zaatar, salt, olive oil, then broken into chips), cheesy popcorn (regular stovetop popcorn but sprinkled with the powered cheese from boxed mac and cheese), cinnamon crunch bites (tortillas cut into squares, tossed with melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar, then baked till crispy), oat balls (mix rolled oats, ground coconut, salt, cinnamon, date/regular honey, nut/sun butter, vanilla, and mini chocolate chips. Roll into balls), kale chips (sometimes I also smash them up and sprinkle them on popcorn).

unexpected

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:31 am
Of all the snack bags that are considered "cool", Golden Fluff seems to be the healthiest. There is no added food coloring or artificial stuff.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:26 am
im at work now - don't have the magazine with me

will do it later on this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 04 2019, 5:50 am Post subject: re: Easy wholesome school snacks
Family first (last weeks) had 2 pages of recipes of exactly what you’re asking.
Ie healthy muffins, homemade fruit leather, chick pea choc chip cookies to name a few that I can remember on top of my head
If you want me to take a couple of screen shots of the magazine let me know.

Amalia

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:54 am
Bumping for small screens

Amalia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:52 pm
Bump

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:02 pm
Whenever I pack something perishable for my kids, I prep them. "You have two snacks, yogurt and pretzels. That is ALL. You need to eat the yogurt during morning recess or you will be hungry in the afternoon." My kids are pretty reasonable about that. I still sometimes get back spoiled snacks. One of my kids so stubbornly stopped eating her yogurts that I stopped sending them. I would love to see her eat more protein and less carb-heavy snacks but what can you do, I give up.

I find it hard because I have a nut allergy, a budget, a little laziness, and a school rule that all dairy needs to be cholov yisrael even if it is not being shared at all. When you can't have non-Jewish dairy, protein gets expensive. When you can't have nuts including possible contamination, that rules out a great deal of the Jewish products even if you did want to pay for them. When you're a little lazy (also busy) there's a limit to how much DIY you're going to invest in things that are medium-likely to come back uneaten (think homemade yogurt smoothie squeeze pouch fail.)

So I generally go with a snacky snack of the "could be worse" variety - tam-tam crackers, pretzels. Popcorn I consider downright healthy compared to the other options. I try for a fruit or vegetable, I have little hard-sided containers so they don't get squished. Melon or strawberries go great, apples and baby carrots come back pretty often but I consider those worthy enough to keep sending and too bad on the kids if they're too cool to eat them. I also have a couple of healthier muffin recipes and when I have my act together I try to make a bunch and freeze to send for snack.

trixx

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:59 pm
Plantain chips, trader Joe's has for $2 a bag
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children