Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do working parents do when young kids have off

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:38 pm
On erev y"t, fast days, etc etc?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:40 pm
Some of the options:
Have a nanny in the home
Hire a babysitter at home just for these days
Send kids to a babysitter or family
Mother and father take turns staying home

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:06 pm
In our case, one parent had a much more flexible job than the other. We also took turns taking days off to stay home. In our community, parents who both have demanding jobs with long hours typically have a nanny.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:49 pm
There are almost always camps avail on the days off. They are so expensive especially when your paying full tuition for the month but im always taking advantage of those programs and sending for a full week before pesach and half a week before succos etc. With babies- I make sure to sign up for a babysitter who works everyday, not on a school schedule only ...

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:51 pm
We save PTO days for this and take turns taking off. We pay through our nose for expensive in between camp programs when they are available. Our mothers take turns babysitting on Fridays since neither of them work that day of the week. We have a lady once a week and sometimes we arrange that day of childcare with her. Sometimes I stay home and watch other kids along with mine and the next day the other mom stays home and watches my kids along with hers. It's a big juggle. We never know what we're going to to until the last minute each time so it's stressful. But we somehow make it happen all the years.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:53 pm
We do year-round daycare at the JCC from infant through age 2.5 or 3, so that there are no days off except legal holidays and Yom tov. After that, we use a combination of paid babysitters, extended family, and ourselves (DH and I) taking turns.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:57 pm
What do they do? They post here and we re-have this conversation.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:58 pm
Dh and I both work full time but neither of us have very high paying jobs to afford a nanny. I am paying thru the nose for these in between camps now. They are 40-50 a day and I’m sending three kids. I usually would take off a week now but I just got back to work after maternity leaves and I work in the accounting dept
And our fiscal year ends August 31st so I can’t exactly take off more now.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:51 pm
For some time, it involved calling in all the favors I can: Parents, siblings, friends, neighbors etc. Plus, getting home early on some days, leaving late on others, etc. DH shifting his schedule a bit, etc.

Now, it mores that my older kids are tasked with babysitting duties, but they are amply rewarded. Plus, my job is a family effort to be able to afford lots of necessities, PLUS some extras the KIDS want. And we remind them about it quite often, and they continue to choose working mom, along with its pros and cons. I am very grateful for their maturity on this topic.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:58 pm
I think all of us in this situation go crazy. My mom works full time and my in laws are out of town. No siblings available either. Child is in daycare, too old for babysitter, too young for inbetween camps. Every time it's an eruv or a off day I go crazy, I remind myself to take it one day at a time and that it will pass.
I've had an unmarried high school friend watch her once for a week (for pay)- took them two days to adjust to each other but that was my best choice then. I've tried working from home with her, I've tried PTO days, taking her along to work... you name it, I've tried it.
No ideal solution.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:04 pm
Before I had my youngest 2 and went back to a full time in-house sitter, we used to rotate days off. I also used to post on facebook and neighborhood whatsapp chats looking for a sitter. Sometimes I paid a SAHM friend to take one or two of my kids in, too.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:55 pm
I am not working but my dd is off two full weeks between daycamp & school now. Tomm I have appt in city, that I can't take her along to, so today I took my cousin's kids to make mommy camp with them, along with my kids, so that tommorrow I don't feel bad leaving my dgtr with her. She has older kids that can take care of her & she told me she's not providing mommy camp like I did.
At least , I have where to leave her.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:10 pm
I. Go. Crazy.
It is extremely stressful now as we just moved to from Brooklyn to NJ , my kids don’t have school for 2 weeks, my husbands job is still NY so he’s out early and gets home really late.
I work from home (impossible with kids home too) and don’t have much flexibility.
My kids each have an hour of orientation and each one on a different day.
Sometimes I feel like I can’t juggle it all.
Then I remember , I am too blessed to be stressed. Bh the reason I am stressed is because I have healthy children who are in a school and Bh my husband and I are both employed . Most of the times , our “problems” are really our blessings.
It’s not always easy but I try to talk to myself and have the right perspective .
In a couple of weeks iyh everything will settle and all will be calm again.
Thanks for listening 😏

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I. Go. Crazy.
It is extremely stressful now as we just moved to from Brooklyn to NJ , my kids don’t have school for 2 weeks, my husbands job is still NY so he’s out early and gets home really late.
I work from home (impossible with kids home too) and don’t have much flexibility.
My kids each have an hour of orientation and each one on a different day.
Sometimes I feel like I can’t juggle it all.
Then I remember , I am too blessed to be stressed. Bh the reason I am stressed is because I have healthy children who are in a school and Bh my husband and I are both employed . Most of the times , our “problems” are really our blessings.
It’s not always easy but I try to talk to myself and have the right perspective .
In a couple of weeks iyh everything will settle and all will be calm again.
Thanks for listening 😏

I love the way you look at it!
I have to learn to be more positive...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics