Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Mezonos bread
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:11 pm
Metukah wrote:
Not all pizza is mezonos, even for those who don't wash for mezonos.

If the pizza dough is not made with fruit juice, it is hamotzi.

Modt pizza stores in Israel do not make the dough mezonos; everyone is required to wash for this pizza.

Incorrect. I eat out pizza often in Israel - all the stores I have frequented (and I've probably eaten in most of the Jerusalem stores) are mezonos.

Metukah

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:32 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Incorrect. I eat out pizza often in Israel - all the stores I have frequented (and I've probably eaten in most of the Jerusalem stores) are mezonos.

I stand corrected. I'm not a big pizza eater but in my younger years I recall most aces not being mezonos. Either things have changed or I didn't frequent a large enough sampling of pizza stores. Where I live all pizza is mezonos.

thanks

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:49 pm
If you're sefardi, any sweetness is enough to make it mezonos.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Many Jewish stores sell mezonos sandwiches (with mezonos bread). I’ve heard that if you’re sitting down to a meal, you should wash and bench, regardless if the bread is labeled mazenos. It would make it so much easier for me to have a slice of whole wheat bread in the morning , while in a rush to get to work, if I didn’t need to bench. I feel like many people might instead take a piece of cake or crackers, so they don’t have to worry about it. If it is in fact required to wash, then why are these sandwiches sold? What do you do?

Numerous Rabbis have said there’s NO SUCH THING as mezonos bread! You must wash on it no matter what.

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:01 pm
The way I learned (from Rabbi Avrohom Blumenkrantz) is that if you take 2 slices of sponge cake, put tuna (or the like) on between and eat it as a sandwich, then you have to wash on it. So mezonos bread as a sandwich/meal needs to be washed on. If munching for a snack, may not have to be.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 11:20 pm
I make bread to sell. All the time I get asked: "Is it mezonos?" I answer : " The ingredients are flour, water and salt, that's it" "But is it mezonos?" "Ask your own Rabbi" is my usual answer Can't Believe It

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:35 am
abaker wrote:
Which brands are shehakol? I eat ezekial bread and it is hamotzi. I am curious to know how these flax wraps the link is posted above, are shehakol too..they contain wheat. Hmm.

That is what I was referring to. I remember the Rav making an announcement in Shul (like 20yrs ago) that it was make from sprouted grain, not regular grain kernel, therefore it does not take on the status of mezonos/hamotzi.
Basically the flour is made from mini plants, not grains.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:47 am
zaq wrote:
Please AYLOR. The stance of the (U) is that there is no such thing as mezonos bread. If it looks like bread, tastes like bread and acts like bread (iow you’re making a meal of it and it’s not just a snack) then it’s bread and you wash and bench, even if it’s made with 100% pure fruit juice. There are always dissenting opinions.

It’s sold because there’s no civil law against it, and if people don’t bother learning the Halacha, as far as the seller is concerned it’s the buyer’s problem.

I would hope that the people who sell it simply hold differently and aren't trying to intentionally cause harm to others.

I agree about the ask your Rav part - I'm sure there are different opinions. All else fails, thin rice cakes work well for a mezonos "sandwich".

abaker

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:36 pm
Iymnok wrote:
That is what I was referring to. I remember the Rav making an announcement in Shul (like 20yrs ago) that it was make from sprouted grain, not regular grain kernel, therefore it does not take on the status of mezonos/hamotzi.
Basically the flour is made from mini plants, not grains.

Interesting, thanks. Our rav's family also eats ezekial bread and they wash on it too. If I remember I will ask him about it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions