Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Yeshiva for good boy with ADD

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:36 pm
Son can’t sit and learn but don’t want an “alternative” Yeshiva with troubled boys. He made it last year but is very unhappy this year. We live OOT so it either needs to have a dorm or an option of boarding. Would consider yeshivish or Chabad or really anything at this point. Needs to have sports and other activities. Would the YU High School be good? I think it’s called MTA.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:42 pm
Look into Minneapolis. I know nothing about the yeshiva but know two boys there with ADD that are doing wonderfully.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:19 pm
Amother rose do you know if it has a dorm? I will call thank you.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:43 am
Yes it does

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 6:22 am
I highly doubt there is a chance you can get into Minneapolis now. Last I heard they were full and are very hesitant to take students mid-yeshiva (meaning between grades) unless they spend time there, and even more so now that the zman started. But you can try, it's a great yeshiva.

I know some boys who have done well at MTI (the Chofetz Chayim yeshiva in St. Louis area/Chesterfield, MO).

Not sure how old he is, but South Bend may be worthwhile to check into as well. They go up to 11th this year I believe.

Many yeshivos of smaller sizes are better able to see your son as an individual with his own needs and may be able to figure out a proper plan for him that accommodates his ADD. In general, I'm a fan of smaller schooling systems, so I am somewhat biased Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 6:55 am
He is in a great small Yeshiva. The only things that aren’t working for him are no organized sports and the hours are what is really hurting him. He can not sit until the late evening 6 days a week. He takes medicine and then a second dose in the afternoon but he is still revving to do other stuff. He is not a complainer and this is really wearing on him. BH he is an excellent student, not a trouble maker and uses the tiny bit of spare time he has healthy and productively.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:01 am
Quote:
I know some boys who have done well at MTI (the Chofetz Chayim yeshiva in St. Louis area/Chesterfield, MO).

I have heard great things about this yeshiva too - and I believe they are very sports-oriented

Helani

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:03 am
shaarei arazim in monsey might be a fit. https://shaareiarazim.org/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He is in a great small Yeshiva. The only things that aren’t working for him are no organized sports and the hours are what is really hurting him. He can not sit until the late evening 6 days a week. He takes medicine and then a second dose in the afternoon but he is still revving to do other stuff. He is not a complainer and this is really wearing on him. BH he is an excellent student, not a trouble maker and uses the tiny bit of spare time he has healthy and productively.

Sounds like both yeshivos I mentioned may be a good starting point to look into. They have a good student body, but they also have down time.

kollel wife

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:40 am
Shaarei Arazim is very expensive.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

MTA might be a good fit for him. They have a dorm.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:57 am
Mta is modern orthodox not yeshivish as you requested.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 5:38 am
I have a graduate and a son in MTI in St. Louis. Bh neither of them needed any special type of anything. They do have sports, but I don't think it's part of any curriculum. My son is on the basketball team. I also have a son in Shaarei Arazim. He just started so I can't say much about it right now. My other sons said he should go to MTI that they do help him, but I felt more comfortable sending him to where they gear to his needs. I felt like that because I know that MTI cares a lot about grades. Not that there's pressure, but they cannot graduate without passing all grades and that includes shachris. Shachris is part of the GPA.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 7:15 am
studying_torah wrote:
Mta is modern orthodox not yeshivish as you requested.

An MO school with sports might be a better fit for ops kid.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I have a graduate and a son in MTI in St. Louis. Bh neither of them needed any special type of anything. They do have sports, but I don't think it's part of any curriculum. My son is on the basketball team. I also have a son in Shaarei Arazim. He just started so I can't say much about it right now. My other sons said he should go to MTI that they do help him, but I felt more comfortable sending him to where they gear to his needs. I felt like that because I know that MTI cares a lot about grades. Not that there's pressure, but they cannot graduate without passing all grades and that includes shachris. Shachris is part of the GPA.

I spoke to my son in MTI. He said that there are quite a few kids with ADD and on meds. He said that your son should come for a visit and he thinks it would be good for your son. Then again, he said it would be good for my other son. It might be, but I prefer where I sent him. His issues are not ADD and is not on meds.

Basketball doesn't start until January and I know they also play football because my other son played sometimes, but I don't think there's a league for that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 9:54 am
I for sure would consider an all boys MO school for this DS. I am considering MTA and I called all the schools mentioned thanks to you ladies!! Right got now he is in a very yesivish school and the religiosity of it is not the issue just the hours and lack of sports. All the schools mentioned have night Seder Seder 4x per week except MTA which has 2-3 c per week for boys living in the dorm. It’s really just too much for this boy. I don’t know what to do. We are trying to work with his current Yeshiva to make a plan to see if we can atleast modify the hours a bit.. DS wished he could sit and learn like his friends. I hate for him to feel bad when honestly he is a great kid and IS a great learner just can’t do it sooo long.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children