Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How does your 5 year old ride in the car?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:55 pm
Meaning, what kind of seat are they sitting on/in? Excuse my ignorance, but is there a safety difference between the cheapo backless ones, the ones with backs, and then the super expensive boosters that come with the 5 point harnesses?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:21 pm
Mine is a few pounds shy of the required 40 pounds that the law here says a child should be in before a seatbelt booster, so he is still in the 5 point carseat. It can be used from infant through as a booster seat with the regular car shoulder belt. I think it is safest to keep them in a 5 point carseat as long as they fit in it and then switch to a booster. I don't know for sure if backless/high back booster makes a difference safety wise but I believe they both position the child so the seatbelt correctly fits them.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:41 pm
A 5 point harness. Yes there are major differences a child needs to sit in the safest seat for them based on height, weight and booster readiness. Read this link
car seat lady

L25

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:46 pm
she's in a 5 point harness.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:52 pm
My 5 year olds used a regular backless booster seat.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:01 pm
In a 5 point harness, which is safest until they are at least 5 yrs AND 40 pounds.
My 7 yr old is still in a 5 point harness too. Safety first.

gigi3

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:11 pm
Fyi the five point harness ones don’t have to be super expensive. I have an evenflow one and it was approx $70

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:36 am
My son is 6 in a week and a half and I only started booster training him for very short car rides when we're not driving more than 25 mph and the total ride is less than 5 minutes. It's important to do booster training so when they do move to a booster they know how to sit properly and have the belt in place right, etc.

Otherwise, he's still in a 5 point harness, despite being in first grade. It's safest for him.

Safety wise between high back and backless, there is no data that supports one over the other. Some HBB have SIP for the head, but most don't. The MOST important part is how the belt fits over the child's body, and each booster fits differently in each car's different seats. Many HBB position the shoulder belt better if the backless is not.

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:42 am
My 3 year old is 40 pounds! He's in a booster with a back, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:46 am
My 4yo is 45 lbs. He is in a booster with a back. I find the back helps him sit up much straighter and holds the seatbelt in the right place. I made my daughter sit in that until she turned 8. We have some backless boosters to use for friends when we do carpool or give rides just because they're easier to maneuver, but I don't let my kids sit in them

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:49 am
Rappel wrote:
My 3 year old is 40 pounds! He's in a booster with a back, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

Check your local laws. Many places require a child to be 4 years old before they are allowed to sit in a booster.

Most children that young cannot sit in a booster properly. It's a maturity thing.

And I'm not sure why you think he'd outgrow a back for a booster. Many of them go to like 60 lbs.

lfab

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:07 am
My 5 year old is still in a 5 point harness.

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:14 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Check your local laws. Many places require a child to be 4 years old before they are allowed to sit in a booster.

Most children that young cannot sit in a booster properly. It's a maturity thing.

And I'm not sure why you think he'd outgrow a back for a booster. Many of them go to like 60 lbs.

In Israel, it goes by weight. And it's a height issue - the headrest and straps are already at their highest setting. Another few growth spurts, and he'll be crowding right out of them.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:15 am
The laws are by weight, not by age.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:27 am
Quote:

In the US almost all of the laws also have an age requirement attached to them.

ETA: For instance in my state it's age 4 AND 40 lbs, so if a kid is 40 lbs before age 4 they still need to wait until their birthday

simba

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:22 pm
My 5 yr old is well over 40 lbs. , he is in a full back booster.

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:55 pm
Five point harness until no longer fits, then backed booster until 8 or no longer relevant (once the upper portion of the chest strap is naturally at shoulder height). Even then they stay in a regular booster for another year or two (again until it makes no difference height-wise). I would never consider putting a 5yo in a backless booster.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Quote:

In the US almost all of the laws also have an age requirement attached to them.

ETA: For instance in my state it's age 4 AND 40 lbs, so if a kid is 40 lbs before age 4 they still need to wait until their birthday

For a while that was the recommendation by all the safety sites, now they upped the age to 5!

(They also upped some other ages. Rear facing until at least two. Sitting in the front seat only at 13 etc.)

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:17 pm
gigi3 wrote:
Fyi the five point harness ones don’t have to be super expensive. I have an evenflow one and it was approx $70

I got cosco ones on amazon for $40, very happy with them.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:25 pm
My 5 year old is around 47-48 lbs and sits in a booster, usually backless.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics