Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to make fish more flavorful

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:36 pm
I find that when I make fish, especially salmon, it tastes mostly blah.

Whatever spices I put on top stay on the top layer and don't flavor the whole fish.

I don't necessarily love sauces, and often it's easier to just dump spices on.

For example, I saw a recommendation to make salmon with the "Everything but the bagel" spice from Trader Joe's. I made it, and it came out okay... but blah.

Any suggestions?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:41 pm
Maybe it’s the fish you’re buying? Or you’re over cooking? Salmon is a fatty and tasty fish that hardly needs anything IMO. Sometimes I put nothing but a light dusting of salt and pepper and it’s great. My favorite though, is to make a paste of fresh ginger and fresh garlic and cover to whole top of the fillet generously. I bake on very high heat maybe 10 minutes.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:46 pm
I know you said you don't like sauces but marinating really gives the fish a deep flavor. I sometimes make a mix of honey, soy sauce and garlic. Let marinate a few hours. It's so tasty and delicious.

Lemon pepper spice is also very flavorful and easy to use. Spray the fish with olive oil, sprinkle lemon pepper spice and place a thin slice of lemon on top. Broil for 10 minutes and you're done.

Don't overcook any salmon recipe.

lora

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:56 pm
I mix the spices in mayo and then smear that on, I guess its similar to a sauce but it really does the job of soaking in the flavor.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:06 pm
lora wrote:
I mix the spices in mayo and then smear that on, I guess its similar to a sauce but it really does the job of soaking in the flavor.

I'd do that but DH hates mayo.

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Maybe it’s the fish you’re buying? Or you’re over cooking?.

This! Fresh salmon is significantly better than many of the frozen packaged types. With the right salmon, you really don’t need marinating and sauces. What type of salmon do you buy? Also, when over done it is dry and unappealing.

After it’s cooked, the salmon should be moist and really easy to flake. If it isn’t, maybe try buying a different type.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 5:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I find that when I make fish, especially salmon, it tastes mostly blah.

Whatever spices I put on top stay on the top layer and don't flavor the whole fish.

I don't necessarily love sauces, and often it's easier to just dump spices on.

For example, I saw a recommendation to make salmon with the "Everything but the bagel" spice from Trader Joe's. I made it, and it came out okay... but blah.

Any suggestions?

It's the amount of salt.

Lemon Garlic Salmon
1 1/4 lbs. salmon fillets
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (3/4 to 1 teaspoon if using table salt)
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Soak salmon in lemon juice for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
Arrange tightly packed in a greased baking pan.
Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over salmon.
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 degrees, for 18 minutes.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 8:09 am
There are sauces and there are sauces. A sauce doesn't necessarily have to be a fatty heavy sauce as there are many "sauces" that complement the fish without overwhelming it.

One way of "saucing" a fish is to cook it with veggies. This is especially delicious when you wrap the fish individually with the veggies but I also have recipes which are essentially just all cooked in the pan. These recipes generally use tomatoes of some kind and they also have the benefit of being simple because you then have your vegetable, protein as well as a nice and healthy "sauce" for the rice or couscous or whatever grain you are using. A basic one would be cut cherry tomatoes with mushrooms and summer squash, garlic, basil and your typical Italian type of herbs. I have a favorite salmon recipe that sits on a bed of spaghetti squash and uses Asian flavorings including five spice powder.

egam

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:07 am
Dry curing the fish before cooking allows the flavor to penetrate. Sprinkle fish liberally with kosher salt, add a sprinkle of sugar if you want to balance the salt a little bit. Let it sit in a fridge for about 20-30 minutes. This will draw the moisture out and let the seasoning in. Rinse your fish in cold water, pat dry and cook anyway you want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking