Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to explain my surgery to kids

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:32 am
I'm having surgery for something gynecological and might have to stay in the hospital for a couple days. How do I explain it to my young kids (lower elementary age)?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:01 am
The doctor says I need to have a surgery in a few days. I'll be in the hospital for a few and after I'm going to be tired and not feeling so well. Tatty is going to take be like the tatty and mommy for a little! Bubby is going to move in/ be making suppers ( explain wtvr arrangements you made). I know I can count on you guys to help tatty out with little one and keep your rooms neat while I am getting better. Do you have any questions? If they ask you can explain the surgery in simple terms. Aka: one of my ovaries is growing funny so the doctor has to take it out. An ovary is part of a mommy's body that helps it makes babies.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 4:20 am
I told my kids my back is hurting, so they didn't find it strange to see me not walking straight for the first few days.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:10 am
I had a mastectomy and then later reconstruction surgery. Both times I told my kids I will be having a procedure and they will be away for a few days so I can recover. The word procedure sounds less scary than surgery.
When they came home they were able to see that I was fine just weak so there was no concern. I told them the procedure is near my arm so they can't hug me because it'll hurt. They were ok with that information.
All was said in a matter of fact, nonchalant way. They took it well.
A therapist advised me to share the least details needed but whatever I do share should be 100% true.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:29 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I had a mastectomy and then later reconstruction surgery. Both times I told my kids I will be having a procedure and they will be away for a few days so I can recover. The word procedure sounds less scary than surgery.
When they came home they were able to see that I was fine just weak so there was no concern. I told them the procedure is near my arm so they can't hug me because it'll hurt. They were ok with that information.
All was said in a matter of fact, nonchalant way. They took it well.
A therapist advised me to share the least details needed but whatever I do share should be 100% true.

The last paragraph is perfect advice. Say little, wait and see if they ask questions, answer only the qstn that is being asked. Assure them you're ok just will be uncomfortable.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:43 pm
Kids can easily blow things up in their minds. If this is a low-risk procedure and the condition that necessitates it is not life threatening, make sure to tell them.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 4:34 pm
When I was 9 my dad had cancer (which k never knew at the time) he needed surgery (by no chemo at the end) so my mother told my 12 yr old sister that he is having surgery, I was 9 and was told that he was having a procedure and my younger sister of 5 was told that he is having blood tests.
It was all so matter of fact that I never even questioned it and now I am fascinated how my mum functioned normally keeping this all in her heart.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:24 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
The doctor says I need to have a surgery in a few days. I'll be in the hospital for a few and after I'm going to be tired and not feeling so well. Tatty is going to take be like the tatty and mommy for a little! Bubby is going to move in/ be making suppers ( explain wtvr arrangements you made). I know I can count on you guys to help tatty out with little one and keep your rooms neat while I am getting better. Do you have any questions? If they ask you can explain the surgery in simple terms. Aka: one of my ovaries is growing funny so the doctor has to take it out. An ovary is part of a mommy's body that helps it makes babies.

Thanks, this is great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics