Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Open letter to food columnists: Calling ww anything healthy

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:38 am
By default. I've been thinking about this and then there were these comments on my brown rice crispy rice cereal thread:

Thanks wrote:
wanted to use them for my rice crispy treat recipe. I was surprised and disappointed that the fiber content is the same as regular rice crispies. Is there a real benefit to this cereal?

Frantic Frummie wrote:
The processing ruins the nutritional content, but brown rice still has that complex, nutty taste to it.

It's like how store bought white bread and "whole wheat bread" are pretty much the same thing, as far as nutrition goes.

I'm seeing a lot of new school year healthy mezonos recipes. AFAI'm concerned, kol hakavod for getting your kids to develop a taste for ww. But as long as there's brown or white sugar in the muffins, I'm not sold on the healthy moniker.

I'm ok with honey, though I've heard it's still a glycemic index issue. But I have a good friend who lost 20 lbs. staying off white sugar but having honey, and I know that people on the Crohn's diet can have honey because it's not a bad carb.

Let's discuss. As list mom, I'll allow you to add your own issues for the food people, though you might want to start a s/o.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:00 am
To me healthy means a whole lot less obsessing and policing about food and sugar and what is and isn't "healthy."

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:53 am
Coffee, believe me, I hear you. One of my great joys is baking for my family and it will include the white stuff. B"H my kids appreciate good whole foods, and along with the cookies there were soups, fruits and veg. And chasdei Hashem, while they all enjoy a good slurpee, coffee, etc., they also all drink water. So I keep it real.

It's just that for people who are really trying to make the switch...well, I'd love to see recipes with say, honey, or tried and true how to switch. (Honey's probably the least pricey of the alternatives.)

keym

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:02 pm
I feel that parents are constantly balancing truly healthy food, with school allergies, and foods that kids will be happy to eat.
Many magazine articles target that.
I have yet to find commercially prepared snack that's truly healthy. Added colors, msg, trans or saturated fat, loaded with extra sugars, preservatives.
And I feel that most people end up choosing which health issues are truly important and the kids will eat.
Personally I hate colors, msg, and bad fats. I make less of a big deal on the occasional sugar or white flour. So I make oatmeal cookies frequently for my kids. Whole oats, white whole wheat flour, sugar, oil, eggs, chocolate chips. Yes there's a full cup of sugar per batch. Yes there's oil, but it's not margarine. Yes there are some chocolate chips. But my kids feel "normal" and are happy to bring those for snack whilethey would truly rebel at bringing carrot sticks.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:26 pm
I think they can write "wholesome" or "hearty" instead of "healthy."
I do feed these snacks to my kids. Meals are healthy, I try to include cheese and fruit as snacks, but snacks also include super snacks, pretzels and homemade cookies. In my opinion homemade cookies and muffins win over store bought any time, simply due to lack of preservatives and shortening. (I don't use margarine.)
Everything in moderation.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:37 pm
I try to use whole wheat flour for most baking/cooking and stay away from margarine. I add a little less sugar when baking. You can’t tell the difference.

We basically drink water and seltzer ( shabbos).

The snacks may be junk but how many pieces really come in a snack bag?

keym

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:41 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I try to use whole wheat flour for most baking/cooking and stay away from margarine. We basically drink water and seltzer ( shabbos).

The snacks may be junk but how many pieces really come in a snack bag?

Well I try to limit snack bags for that reason. All of that and the kids are still hungry.
Personally, I feel that homemade regular cookies or muffins with white flour, white sugar and oil are more filling and don't have the artificial colors, chemicals, and preservatives that snack bags have, AND my kid is actually full after.
I try to bake to send for snack for that reason alone.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 4:23 pm
My biggest concern is recipes featured in our jewish magazines that are supposed to be healthy like meatballs or chicken but will have one cup of sugar added or one cup of jelly! Or vegetables drizzled with sweet stuff...It drives me nuts! At wits end
If I give my child a cookie he knows it's a treat and it's occasional but meatballs,chicken and vegetables should be food they can have anytime and as much as they want!!!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 4:49 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
My biggest concern is recipes featured in our jewish magazines that are supposed to be healthy like meatballs or chicken but will have one cup of sugar added or one cup of jelly! Or vegetables drizzled with sweet stuff...It drives me nuts! At wits end
If I give my child a cookie he knows it's a treat and it's occasional but meatballs,chicken and vegetables should be food they can have anytime and as much as they want!!!

I agree. My roasts are always savory. No need for brown sugar or a half a bottle of soda. Supper should have healthy ingredients only.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

I once saw a recipe for potato kugel in one of the jewish magazines. They went on and on about how healthy this recipe is because it uses much less eggs than a typical potato kugel. Except that it called for about triple the amount of oil of any potato kugel I ever made. It was ridiculous.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 2:10 pm
I'm curious how many food columnists are members of this site ...

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 2:44 pm
Agave nectar is insanely expensive, but a good alternative if you are diabetic. It makes a decent stand-in for maple syrup.

Silan (date syrup) is a great substitute for honey, and can be used 1 to 1. Molasses has tons of iron and vitamin B.

If you soak dried fruit before adding it to baked goods, you can use the soaking water to add instead of regular tap water. The fructose adds sweetness, and you can then reduce sugar. Just having the fruit in there makes it more sweet, anyway.

When I bake, I try to sneak in as much good stuff as I can. Protein powder, flax meal, toasted hemp hearts, assorted nuts and seeds, and all kinds of dried fruits, especially cranberries, cherries, and blueberries. Sometimes instead of adding water, I'll puree a can of veggies, like beets, carrots, or yams.

I've never had any complaints. Very Happy

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 3:04 pm
keym wrote:
I feel that parents are constantly balancing truly healthy food, with school allergies, and foods that kids will be happy to eat.
Many magazine articles target that.
I have yet to find commercially prepared snack that's truly healthy. Added colors, msg, trans or saturated fat, loaded with extra sugars, preservatives.
And I feel that most people end up choosing which health issues are truly important and the kids will eat.
Personally I hate colors, msg, and bad fats. I make less of a big deal on the occasional sugar or white flour. So I make oatmeal cookies frequently for my kids. Whole oats, white whole wheat flour, sugar, oil, eggs, chocolate chips. Yes there's a full cup of sugar per batch. Yes there's oil, but it's not margarine. Yes there are some chocolate chips. But my kids feel "normal" and are happy to bring those for snack whilethey would truly rebel at bringing carrot sticks.

Can you post the recipe for your oatmeal cookies?

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 3:07 pm
It's for this reason that I haven't made the switch to 'healthy' baking.

I rather let myself have a couple of sweet treats per day that I really like rather than eating less desirable option that isn't that much healthier anyway, and will still leave me craving the better stuff.

keym

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Can you post the recipe for your oatmeal cookies?

2 c oatmeal
1 c flour
1 c sugar
3/4 t baking powder
Dash salt
1 t cinnamon
3/4 c oil
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 c chocolate chips

Bake 350 16-18 minutes

honey36

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 10:45 pm
If margarine says non hydrogenated (which it seems like most of them do) why is it worse than oil?

honey36

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 10:55 pm
I don't think honey is much better than sugar. Have you ever watched "sugar the bitter truth" or read "year of no sugar". They explain that basically both table sugar and honey (and high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, fruit juice, agave etc) all are primarily fructose so are all pretty bad for you. The explanation is a bit more lengthy so if your really interested you can see the actual sources, but basically fructose is a lot worse than people think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking