Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Admission cards
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Rivky

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:22 pm
oliveoil wrote:
What is there to understand. People struggle. Not everyone has the potential to be a high earner. Not everyone will "make it." You make it sound like they're a choice to "not make it."

In the wider world, average earners don't send to expensive private schools. It's considered a luxury. But here we expect everyone - the wealthy, the struggling middle class, and the poor to treat private school like a basic necessity. Honestly, there's no way it can work. Then add to the mix that most of these schools produce graduates who don't have the tools to earn what they need to in order to then send their kids through the same schools.

Of course not everyone has the potential of being a high earner, but how is that the schools' fault? How do we want teachers and rebbeim who spend most of the days with our children to do a superb job if their salaries are not being paid on time, and are at a minimal amount? I dont' see how pple expect schools to run when there's no money.

keym

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
In fairness if you adjust for inflation, $7000 in 1998 is equivalent to $11,000 in today’s money.

However, most people aren't getting paid that much increase in salaries.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:46 pm
Rivky wrote:
Of course not everyone has the potential of being a high earner, but how is that the schools' fault? How do we want teachers and rebbeim who spend most of the days with our children to do a superb job if their salaries are not being paid on time, and are at a minimal amount? I dont' see how pple expect schools to run when there's no money.

You seem to be partial to one side & refuse to recognize the other side. I don't think anyone disagrees that schools can run with no money. But how do you expect parents to pay tuition when they have no money to do so?

That is the problem on hand. Schools cant run without any money, and kids can't be kept at home without any schooling. The solution isn't to shut down schools, or to keep kids at home. The solution has to be some sort of assistance in place to help out both schools and parents in these situations. And what exactly is that sort of assistance? That's exactly what communities need to figure out instead of levying judgment and threats to people who are in the tough situation through no fault of their own.

Rivky

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:32 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
You seem to be partial to one side & refuse to recognize the other side. I don't think anyone disagrees that schools can run with no money. But how do you expect parents to pay tuition when they have no money to do so?

That is the problem on hand. Schools cant run without any money, and kids can't be kept at home without any schooling. The solution isn't to shut down schools, or to keep kids at home. The solution has to be some sort of assistance in place to help out both schools and parents in these situations. And what exactly is that sort of assistance? That's exactly what communities need to figure out instead of levying judgment and threats to people who are in the tough situation through no fault of their own.

I'm sorry if that's the way I'm coming across, it's not intentional at all. And I'm also on the side of parents struggling, but I'm understanding the schools' point too. That a solution is needed is not a question. The question is what? But, I fail to see how schools are supposed to run if there's no money. We want the best for our children but can't pay for it. Big problem.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:41 pm
Rivky wrote:
I'm sorry if that's the way I'm coming across, it's not intentional at all. And I'm also on the side of parents struggling, but I'm understanding the schools' point too. That a solution is needed is not a question. The question is what? But, I fail to see how schools are supposed to run if there's no money. We want the best for our children but can't pay for it. Big problem.

Yes, it's a very big problem. And a large cause of this problem is the lack of financial considerations in setting up our lifestyles. We don't provide a proper education for our boys to be able to be financially sound. We marry off our kids without them doing any financial planning. We have them sit in kollel without much thought about their future and how they'll be able to afford tuition and other costs. Large families are encouraged on the account of "Hashem will provide".

Why is it that "Hashem will provide" is an answer to all of the above, but it isn't an acceptable answer for tuition. Shouldn't I be able to tell the tuition board "Hashem will provide", when they tell me the school can't run without money?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Yes, it's a very big problem. And a large cause of this problem is the lack of financial considerations in setting up our lifestyles. We don't provide a proper education for our boys to be able to be financially sound. We marry off our kids without them doing any financial planning. We have them sit in kollel without much thought about their future and how they'll be able to afford tuition and other costs. Large families are encouraged on the account of "Hashem will provide".

Why is it that "Hashem will provide" is an answer to all of the above, but it isn't an acceptable answer for tuition. Shouldn't I be able to tell the tuition board "Hashem will provide", when they tell me the school can't run without money?

And the amazing part is that we actually DO have so many private schools and yeshivos. Boruch Hashem, somehow the schools are all open, somehow they make it work.

I have no idea where education for boys comes into this whole conversation, because the fact is that the full cost of educating a medium size frum family is beyond the means of even middle income families. In order for everyone to be able to pay full tuition, we would all have to making in the top 10% of the population, if not higher, a statistical impossibility.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics