Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Instant pot chicken soup - what setting?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:52 am
I have eaten at people who made delicious chicken soup in an instant pot, using all the same ingredients as their regular basic Shabbos soup. What I don't know is what setting/time to put it on. Please advise! The chicken might be only partly defrosted. Would love instructions for both frozen and unfrozen chicken timing.

Yes I googled first but none of the results were the classic Jewish type.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:57 am
I do manual for one hour and then I let it sit on keep warm until the seudah.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:57 am
Instruction are the same but it will take longer to come to pressure with frozen chicken

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:11 pm
Please watch all of the instant pot cooking school videos on hippressurecooking.com. Even the treif ones. I've learned so much from her.

The settings are nothing. Just the manufacturer's suggested times for different kinds of foods. All you need is the saute and manual buttons. Set it to manual for 60 mins. Let it NPR. To get it to come to pressure quicker, fill the liner 1/2 of the way with water, set it to saute, and THEN start prepping the soup. Let the water heat up first and it will take less time to come to pressure.

Feel free to pm me for IP cooking tips.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:12 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Instruction are the same but it will take longer to come to pressure with frozen chicken

This. Same soup, same time setting (60 min on manual, npr). It will take longer to reach pressure.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:25 pm
Npr= natural pressure release or something?
I'd love to watch instant pot school videos but frankly, life.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:31 pm
Now I'm trying to decide how much chicken to put in. My non instant pots are different sizes. I have the 6qt pot. One chicken quarter I'm not sure is enough, but 2 chicken quarters feels like there's not going to be so much room for soup.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:35 pm
seeker wrote:
Npr= natural pressure release or something?
I'd love to watch instant pot school videos but frankly, life.

Yes npr is natural pressure release. I put it on in the background and listen to it I’m doing all that other stuff.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:46 pm
I follow this recipe every time for its proportions and its awesome! https://www.number-2-pencil.co.....soup/ we dont like soup chicken so I use a 3lb package of chicken bones instead. It has not failed me yet!

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:54 pm
Ok according to your recipe I definitely put in too little chicken :-/ Anyway at this point I'll just hope for the best, if it's not flavorful enough then I'll let it boil out a little to intensify.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:58 pm
If you like asian flavors their ramen is sooooo yummy for a week night dinner in the winter.

https://www.number-2-pencil.co.....up-8/

its a real meal in a bowl

estreya

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:11 pm
I make it weekly in the instant pot. You can use frozen pieces.

Best advice is to put the chicken (I use a whole chicken) in cheesecloth and tie it up and the vegetables (with bayleaf if using, dill, peppercorns etc) together in another cheesecloth and tie that up. Place these in instant pot, fill up to max fill line with water.

I cook it for 120 minutes with NPR.

Also best part is -- nothing to skim off (it never makes that yucky stuff), and you just fish out the two cheesecloth bags and go from there. No pieces of chicken falling off into the soup and nothing really to strain as everything is contained in the bags.

If you want a very golden colour, I suggest keeping the skins on the onions. Also make a cut crosswise (like a plus sign) only halfway through the onion to release max flavour.

makes a great soup Very Happy

eta: you can use just bones also but use a lot.

copy

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:16 pm
I made this shobbas the first time in the instant pot my chicken soup I put in 1 lb of chicken bones 3 carrots, sm onoin, 4 pc garlic, sm petrishka, sm turnip, sm knob celery ,sm squash, 1 T salt, filled it with water pressured it for 60 minutes. came out about 3 qt soup needed more soup the vegatables coudnt use came out to soft needed more soup so put back in the pot olny the soup added water till the fill with 2 carrots and 6 pc chicken wings 1 table salt pressured it for 30 minutes had about 5 qt of soup I got by the seduah compliments that it was delicious soup

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:46 pm
I guess you made your chicken soup already, but interesting how all of you cook your chicken soup for so long. I cook it for 35 to 40 minutes and it's DELICIOUS! I use a six quart pot (makes tons of soup) and chicken bones plus one chicken bottom, regular vegetables.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:56 pm
I fill with bones and cover with water and cook on soup mode for 4 hours. Every bit of collagen melts. It’s strong r ouch to water down and use as a base, but storing stronger takes less space. I do it for 8 hours with beef knuckles

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

copy

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:56 pm
did anyone tried split peas vegetable soup? how long do you cook it??

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 9:06 pm
copy wrote:
did anyone tried split peas vegetable soup? how long do you cook it??

Yes I make it all the time. I quick presoak the split peas and then cook with vegetables for 25 minutes.

copy

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 9:11 pm
im new to this instant pot what else good idea can you cook with it?? maybe you share some thank you!!!!

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 9:23 pm
Yeah my chicken soup was on the weak side Sad With a little salt it wasn't bad but wasn't especially great either. I am going to cook it out to see if that helps, and in the future I'll add bones. I just didn't have any in my freezer when I spontaneously decided to do soup.

I have made split pea soup, googled for a recipe, chose the result that was the most similar to the soup I like in my regular pot, and it was really great - loved that I could pop the ingredients in and ignore, plus it was ready much faster.

For other instant pot ideas there's at least one other thread here but it's many pages long so I haven't processed it yet. Definitely one of those things I'm going to get around to one of these days.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:39 am
copy wrote:
im new to this instant pot what else good idea can you cook with it?? maybe you share some thank you!!!!

Basically anything with liquid. You need liquid for the pressure part to work.

Some ideas - any soups, meatballs, chicken, meat, corned beef, mashed potatoes, rice... look at your instant pot recipe booklet for ideas.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics