Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbos Clothes - How long to keep?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:36 am
How many years do you keep your Shabbos clothes for? The stuff fits you and is not stained.
I am trying to clean out my closet and I feel guilty throwing clothes out.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:38 am
if you haven't worn it for more than a year then give it away. There are plenty of jewish gemachs and donation places. You will feel better cleaning it out and doing a chesed and someone else will be able to enjoy a "new" outfit!

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:42 am
I have the same issue. My size didn't change so I have things forever. The question is do you wear them? If they are sitting there, discard. If the question is whether they are still in style and should be worn (if you are comfortable in them, style or no, keep them) get a second opinion.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:43 am
Depends how much I like it, how versatile it is.

A plain black skirt that makes me look 10 lbs thinner? I'll keep it until it falls apart!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:46 am
I assumed from Ops post that these things are sitting in Ops closet unworn. And unliked.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:46 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
if you haven't worn it for more than a year then give it away. There are plenty of jewish gemachs and donation places. You will feel better cleaning it out and doing a chesed and someone else will be able to enjoy a "new" outfit!

Sometimes I just wear the outfit once a year. I was by a kiddush recently and a women told me “I have the same dress as you but I don’t wear it anymore since I got it last year.”

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:56 am
I think that it depends on your age. It looks like older people can get away with wearing out of style clothes better than young people can.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sometimes I just wear the outfit once a year. I was by a kiddush recently and a women told me “I have the same dress as you but I don’t wear it anymore since I got it last year.”

What a strange comment! That shows something off about her. Not your clothes. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:16 am
ra_mom wrote:
What a strange comment! That shows something off about her. Not your clothes. Very Happy

The other question is how many people replace their entire wadrobe every year?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That probably depends on the size of the wardrobe. Some people buy enough to last for a season if they launder it frequently but everything that they have gets worn at least once a week. Men's wardrobes are often like that.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:21 am
I keep my stuff forever -and always have!!!
I still wear the same size and I have stuff which is probably as old as some of you. If I feel good in it, it is clean, in good condition and fits, more power to me.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nobody I know (unless their size changed). Most people add something new to what they already have. And replace items when they need them.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ugh. Sorry that happened. Some possible responses include:

It's so beautiful I couldn't bear to let it go.

I'm so glad we have the same taste. This is one of my favorites!

I love how classic styles are always in fashion.

Your new dress is lovely.

Wow, has it been a year already?

Ploni is one of my favorite designers. I'm looking forward to the next collection.

And so on. No need to get into fashion-shaming ("Why would you do something do wasteful?" etc). The other woman probably just said the first thing that came to mind as small talk, rather than an insult (I hope). If she did mean to insult your fashion sense, take the high road.

As for clothing - if it fits, is in good condition and you still have use for it, go ahead and keep it. It's ok to wear things once a year.

If you or the garment has changed size, or if it's stained, damaged or worn-out looking, time to say goodbye.

Some styles don't age well. Obviously trendy clothing should be retired sooner.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

In my OOT middle-class neighborhood, no one I know except growing children and teens. I suppose it's more common in extremely wealthy communities.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:29 am
seriously? I live in a very affluent community and would never think like this and have never heard of such a thing.
If I like something I wear it forever so long as it lasts.
No one I know replaces a wardrobe every year -- never heard of such a thing -- unless their size changes and then hopefully only down lol.
Yes people will add new if they like and they can.
If I have things in my closet I really don't wear or never really liked or was comfortable in then I have learned to force myself to give it away instead of hoping I will somehow use it or feel guilty for not making a better purchase. I feel its hashgacha like I got it but if I don't wear it for whatever the reason then its really for someone else Smile.
And now is a perfect time to gift it to someone who will use it and appreciate it.

If someone did say such a comment its really off. And only says something perhaps about the commenter.

meme6

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:40 am
There are classic items and dated items you need to go through your closet and get rid of the dated items from 2 years back. Most people don’t change there wardrobes fully seasonally usually most treat themselves to something new. I would categorize the stuff
Well worn
Never wear
Dated
Classy

I would then get rid of accordingly the well worn that have seen better days u chuck keep the rest
Never wear you chuck waste of space in the closet
Dated if it goes back to 2017 or before chuck things from last year dated can be worn this year
Classy never goes out of style so enjoy unless you dislike the stuff

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:06 am
DrMom wrote:
Depends how much I like it, how versatile it is.

A plain black skirt that makes me look 10 lbs thinner? I'll keep it until it falls apart!

And I’ll figure out how to buy another 5 to have when they fall apart.

My problem is I have almost every size in my closet and nothing to wear because either things are too small or too big.
I’m a yo-yo addict.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:07 am
What about suit jackets? Does anyone besides me wear them anymore? A few women in my shul do, but are we all hicks? I love the heft of a well-fitted jacket that falls to high hip which allows me to have a shape without looking too young. I feel the sleeveless dress with shell look is best left for the under 40 crowd. I have yet to find a long sleeve dress I like, and have always felt that a two piece look is more flattering on me.

I will grant you that in the word of another some of my clothes I bought when many of you were in kindergarten and I still wear them. How do I rate in the fashion world? Am I a justifiable embarrassment to my daughters?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I do 🤷🏼‍♀️

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
What about suit jackets? Does anyone besides me wear them anymore? A few women in my shul do, but are we all hicks? I love the heft of a well-fitted jacket that falls to high hip which allows me to have a shape without looking too young. I feel the sleeveless dress with shell look is best left for the under 40 crowd. I have yet to find a long sleeve dress I like, and have always felt that a two piece look is more flattering on me.

I will grant you that in the word of another some of my clothes I bought when many of you were in kindergarten and I still wear them. How do I rate in the fashion world? Am I a justifiable embarrassment to my daughters?

This is the beauty of getting older; that we wear what we like and not what others think that we should wear.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics