Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Small school doesn't notify parents if kids don't show up
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:59 am
In Lakewood, it seems the larger/fancier schools have a system where they text or call parents if their kid doesn't show up.

My child's smaller school doesn't do this! The teacher doesn't even notify the office about absent kids. How am I supposed to know my dc got to school safely???

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:03 am
I totally hear you op!

I just switched from a smaller school that e-mails you to a larger but still small school that doesn't. I was quite surprised. The secretary said she is fine with me calling her every day I want (which would be whenever my kid walks) to find out if my kid arrived.

I spoke to someone else who works in the school and she said it's in the workings to have parents access their child/ren's records so if they want they can log in and see if their child was marked present. Don't know if school would be agreeable to doing that.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:25 am
In my state, the DOE needs to have attendance records. It’s considered neglect if you don’t send to school unless they are registered as homeschooled.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:31 am
I didn't know it was a thing

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
In my state, the DOE needs to have attendance records. It’s considered neglect if you don’t send to school unless they are registered as homeschooled.

school has attendance sheets and if a child didn't come numerous days the school would say something but if I want to know that my kid who walked got to school safely I don't want to wait a week. I'm guessing that op is coming from the same place I am.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:24 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
school has attendance sheets and if a child didn't come numerous days the school would say something but if I want to know that my kid who walked got to school safely I don't want to wait a week. I'm guessing that op is coming from the same place I am.

Correct.
My kid goes on the bus, but what if she falls asleep on the way, or can't open her seatbelt, and just doesn't get off the jus when it gets to school? How will I know?

sub

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:28 am
Driver may not leave without checking the bus.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct.
My kid goes on the bus, but what if she falls asleep on the way, or can't open her seatbelt, and just doesn't get off the jus when it gets to school? How will I know?

Bus driver's responsibility to get kids off the bus?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:31 am
So I should stop worrying so much?
Do all bus drivers check each day?

sub

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:36 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Bus driver's responsibility to get kids off the bus?

Driver’s responsibility to check bus before he leaves.
We have a system in which the bus teacher checks before she gets off and then the driver checks before he drives away.
It’s normal to worry, but don’t let it control your life. You could call the school to check, nothing wrong with that. We have that all the time.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:39 am
I think the safe arrival systems are primarily meant to be a safeguard for kids who walk themselves to school.

Bus driver checking the bus is the safeguard for kids who fall asleep on the bus.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:50 am
I never heard of a school notifying parents any day that their kid doesn't show up. I wish my kids' school would do this.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:52 am
my kids old school was a new small school and they did. they said it was a safety issue. I appreciated it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:03 pm
I only heard of one school in Lakewood who notifies mothers, that the busses arrived to school and everyone is accounted for. I think it's amazing that they care enough to do it

The cheder and the school that I send to, are extremely disorganized. Ive had kids miss the bus getting home from school. My kids bus was in an accident, they didn't notify me. Ive had so many transportation mishaps, and I dont trust the places I send to.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:12 pm
Never heard of such thing that school calls if a child didn't arrive.
If they are missing couple of days, teacher will call to check up & class will wish child refuah shleimah or they will send home Get well cards.
With buses, there should be bus monitors or teachers to ensure everyone gets on & off safely. Bus driver is supposed to check bus before he leaves bus as well. ( he sometimes goes from route to route-without stopping in between)
Most schools have a policy that only older kids can walk to school with parents permission & signed note.
Other schools, from certain age, stop providing transportation for students living close by, like from age 11 about.

sub

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I only heard of one school in Lakewood who notifies mothers, that the busses arrived to school and everyone is accounted for. I think it's amazing that they care enough to do it

The cheder and the school that I send to, are extremely disorganized. Ive had kids miss the bus getting home from school. My kids bus was in an accident, they didn't notify me. Ive had so many transportation mishaps, and I dont trust the places I send to.

That’s terrible. There should be someone in charge, making sure all classrooms are empty before buses leave. The teacher or driver on the bus should notify the school or transportation secretary when and if necessary. And that secretary should then relay the info to parents and principals.

Metukah

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:20 pm
Most schools here have a system whereby parents must inform the school, within 45/60 minutes, leaving a message on a dedicated mailbox, if their child will not attend school that day.

At the start of the day the teacher takes attendance, a secretary collects all attendance registers and compares absences in the attendance register to those informed to the schools. Whoever hasn't called gets a call.

If a child left the house in the morning and didn't turn up to school, it will be discovered within a few hours. Those few hours can be crucial in a dangerous situation.

I'm not a worrier, I let my children walk to school at a younger age than other parents do, but, if my school didn't have this system I'd panic.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:12 pm
Both my kids started in middle of last year after 2 very young kids skipped the bus and hid in the woods instead.

My understanding is all schools must take attendance. There is attendance software that has a setting to notify parents. Most schools use this software just don’t bother setting it up. Until last year very few were

cnc

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:20 pm
sky wrote:
Both my kids started in middle of last year after 2 very young kids skipped the bus and hid in the woods instead.

My understanding is all schools must take attendance. There is attendance software that has a setting to notify parents. Most schools use this software just don’t bother setting it up. Until last year very few were

Does anyone know of specific attendance software that works well?

Dollyz

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:43 pm
cnc wrote:
Does anyone know of specific attendance software that works well?

Admire has the capability for this, it's up too the school to set it up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries