Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Thank you for a gift I can't use

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:45 pm
When I write a thank you note, I typically make reference to the gift, to make it more personal. What about when I can't use the gift and will be getting rid of it. I feel funny mentioning it specifically, and saying how much I like it etc. It feels false/fake, leads on... Mostly I'm afraid it'll come back to haunt me in the form of questions as to how I'm enjoying it, more similar presents, etc.
Thoughts?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:48 pm
Talk about how thoughtful it was for them to gift you.

Thank you so much for the gift! Your thoughtfulness means the world to me.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:48 pm
In cases like that I focus on the thought. How it was so nice to get a gift from them on this occasion and know they’re thinking of you this holiday / supporting this new stage in your life / whatever.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:50 pm
Any gift you get is a lovely gesture. You are thanking them for the gesture, not the gift, as you should. Everyone receives things they don't need. It doesn't affect the gratitude you should feel.

Write,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift! It's people like you who make us/me feel loved!

Don't mention the gift. Focus on gratitude. It's perfect.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:01 pm
You are so right! Thank you!

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:04 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Any gift you get is a lovely gesture. You are thanking them for the gesture, not the gift, as you should. Everyone receives things they don't need. It doesn't affect the gratitude you should feel.

Write,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift! It's people like you who make us/me feel loved!

Don't mention the gift. Focus on gratitude. It's perfect.

This is great advice. I dont usually read usernames, but when I find myself nodding along with a comment I have to agree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette