Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Dishwasher

nosher

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:13 am
I recently purchased a Maytag dishwasher upon the recommendation of the appliance seller. I am extremely unhappy with the dishwasher. Many of the dishes remain dirty after the two hour wash cycle. After much back and forth with the store and company, as well as having repairmen visit the machine, we got a refund on the purchase.

If you recently purchased a dishwasher and are happy with your machine, please recommend it. I am at a loss.

I keep hearing that the Bosch leaves the dishes wet.

Plonis

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:25 am
The Bosch is a European style dishwasher, so it doesn't have heated dry, AND it doesn't have a hard food disposer. So you need to scrape the dishes before you put them in. Dishes with rice on them you MUST first soak and get the rice up, otherwise it clogs the whole dishwasher! (It won't flood, Bosch has flood-prevention built in, but you do have to bail out the bottom of the dishwasher and manually get out the softened rice.)

I find that after leaving the door open a crack for a few minutes (the cycle ends with the dishes VERY HOT) everything except plastic is dry.

Incidentally, in general you should be scraping and NOT rinsing dishes before you put them into the dishwasher, as dishwasher soap tends to rely on the proteins and other substances in food to produce chemical reactions that lead to cleaner dishes.

The dishwasher detergent you use also makes a huge difference. The Finish Quantum Max tabs (OU certified) lead to the absolute best results in my experience.

nosher

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:33 am
Thank you Plonis for such a detailed response! Which Bosch model do you recommend?
Regarding the Maytag, I used Cascade and Rinse Aid.
I should mention that I often use one load after another and therefore prefer dry dishes as much as possible.

Plonis

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:41 am
I have the cheapest base model Bosch, one of the Ascenta line I think.

I also do one load after another, but like I said literally in minutes everything but plastic is perfectly dry. If I open the dishwasher immediately, the dishes are still too hot to handle, so I need to wait a few minutes anyhow.

If it makes a difference, the cycle on my model is 2:10 or 2:20 long. It is sometimes (rarely) done a few minutes early.

If I had the money, I would get a Miele top-of-the-line dishwasher ($2K). It is also a European model, so similar downsides to the Bosch, BUT it has a one-hour "intense wash" cycle that uses more water and energy to duplicate the effects of the 2-hour run in half the time! (The two hour wash is of course more energy and water efficient.) Miele also has an "auto-open" feature that pops the door open a little bit after the cycle is over so most of the water can evaporate off the boiling hot dishes.

flower2

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:09 am
I think new bosch dishwashers have better drying technology and/or auto open at end of cycle to help w drying

I love my Bosch and I got them a while ago
I don't scrape off rice and no issues w clogging

I do have an 800 series though

nosher

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:00 am
Flower2, do you have to rinse the dishes before you put them in the machine?

flower2

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:22 pm
nosher wrote:
Flower2, do you have to rinse the dishes before you put them in the machine?

No

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:34 pm
You are not supposed to rinse dishes prior to washing. It actually makes the dishwasher less effective. Obviously one scrapes large food off but that isn't the same as rinsing.

I now have my second Bosch dishwasher and they are great. Very reliable and very quiet. I bought my first I 2005 and it was still working but I decided to replace it when I did a full kitchen remodel this year. They are so quiet that I have to place my hand on the counter to feel a slight vibration to check if it is running. My new dishwasher has a light that beams on the floor.

The great benefit to not having a heating element in a Bosch is that you can place stuff anywhere and plastics won't melt or get out of shape.

Opening the door slightly after you have finished will generally dry everything except plastics that have indentations. The stainless steel interior holds enough heat to dry but if the door is closed the water can't evaporate but stays in which is what causes some wetness if you keep the door closed. At any rate, the dampness was fine because I don't generally unload immediately after a load is finished anyway and opening the door evaporates it fine.

nosher

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:45 pm
Thank you ladies! You are so wonderful.

One of the repairmen who came for the brand new Maytag told us that you must rinse dishes for all new dishwashers. I found that very odd and that’s why I asked.

I had the Maytag dishwasher for over 15 years so I agreed to buy it again. However it’s awful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars