Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Buy house with large front garden

mum22

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:20 pm
We would like to buy a house but not many properties go up for sale where we live.
This week a house went on the market and the estate agent is pushing us to buy it.
The house is on a curve / corner, so the backyard narrows and isn’t very large but the front garden is enormous.
Like a slice of pizza.
I am trying to keep an open mind, but I don’t see the potential that others seem to see.
Anyone have any ideas?
Is it straightforward to build out? Do building regs allow? How can I access more information....?
All comments appreciated!

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:24 pm
Can you fence around the front garden so kids can play in it?

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:26 pm
We used to live in a corner house, (the back garden was huge, not the front garden) when we moved the next owners built entire second house on the property next to current house.

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:27 pm
Call the building department for your municipality. No one can answer what the regs are without knowing where the property is. The best answer will be from the municipality itself.

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:55 pm
Are you planning with a need to expand?

You really need to check zoning regulations because often homes are zoned to require a certain offset from the road.

Also adding square footage is very expensive - much more expensive than building equivalent square footage so unless the location supports this kind of very expensive in-fill it doesn't make economic sense and one does better buying a house that more or less is what you want.

Most people don't find front yards to be as functional as back yards because they aren't private so one normally doesn't do stuff in the front yard the way one does in the back yard. I don't know anyone who does anything with their front yard - whatever size - other than have an attractive garden.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:02 pm
All other things being equal, I'd go for a big back yard rather than front. The front is for "show", nice if you want to grow flowers, but the back is for use, nice if you want to grow vegetables, let your children play outside, put up a clothesline, camp out in a tent and lots of other fun stuff you wouldn't care to do in the front yard where every passerby can see.

animeme

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:06 pm
A lot depends on how high if a fence you're allowed to have there. By me, anywhere in the front or the sides of the house has to be shorter and once the house ends, it can be tall in back. If you are stuck with a short fence most of the way, you will have full view of everything in the yard. And then there are the many issues if having a corner house.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:49 pm
Is expansion to the front a possibility? Expansion to the side? From a functional house perspective, could it work? If you're considering this, find out what the setbacks are now, before you buy.

Sunshineforever

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:01 pm
Don't let anyone pressurise you into making such a big purchase when you're having concerns. He's not going to be the one living in it, is he.

BTW, what are the issues of a corner house?

mum22

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:03 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Is expansion to the front a possibility? Expansion to the side? From a functional house perspective, could it work? If you're considering this, find out what the setbacks are now, before you buy.

I really don’t know!
The man I spoke to said he can’t confirm I would be able to extend to the front and I would have to apply... he suggested I look along the street and see what extensions have been permitted.
But there are no houses on this shape property Banging head

This property is the top end of our budget and we’re told it’s a developmental opportunity.

Properties don’t often come up and Im being encouraged to buy. But I feel like the other posters- a bigger backyard would be more useful
What

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:45 pm
I'm going through something similar to this with a client now, who also has an irregularly-shaped lot. They were hoping to do an addition to the back of their house, but... a previous owner had the site surveyed several years ago, and I could see from looking at his site map that they can't go any farther back than they already are. They have now called the county permit department to ascertain how far they can expand to the side.

Most municipalities have tract maps which will give the permit departments enough information to give you an exact answer as to what the setbacks are, and a ballpark answer regarding front or side expansion with an irregular lot, and whether you would need a variance.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:09 pm
Sounds like your gut is saying ‘don’t buy’. Perhaps listen to it.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:14 pm
Corner properties typically have more set backs where I live. Like 30 ft from curb instead of 15. And rules about how close steps and porches can be.
We have a county clerk by us and they can pull up the property and tell you what can be legally done on the propert without variances. Is there such a govt office where you live that can advise you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics