Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seeking BY seminary
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:00 pm
Am looking into seminaries for my oldest daughter. I went to sem yeeeaaars ago and have absolutely no clue whats out there.
I also can't find much online. Can anyone help?
My daughter is a good frum thinking girl, average to good student. She needs warmth and encouragement to blossom. She is the oldest in the family and needs this time away to gain some independence. Am looking for something in Israel but I won't rule out England.
Is there a web site with a list of sems and information.
Can anyone recommend something. Will be greatful for any and all information
Thank you!

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:55 pm
Her HS should be able to help. I would have her set up an appointment with the Israel/Seminary guidance counselor.
My DD's school has an advisory team which does this and they also have Israel night where the schools come and present, giving you an opportunity to hear from, and speak with them.
We did this last year. Sorry I have no specific information for you, as I am not a BY haskafa.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:55 pm
Her high school can help.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:59 pm
My daughter is also looking into seminary’s with similar criteria’s. The problem is that her school does not have anyone who helps with seminaries and most of the girls have to do their own research. So would highly appreciate if someone could help instead of saying that HS will help
Thanks.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:02 pm
Can you find what seminary last year's class went to? Just to get an idea where to start?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:31 pm
Seminar rebranded themsleves and have a great reputation now. How about BYA (not such am intense work load) there are also a ton of new ones that her school can reccomend....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:56 pm
Was also going to suggest Seminar or BYA. Does your daughter attend a BY high school? These are both solid BY schools.

I also think you can get a good sense from where the girls a few years older than your DD went.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:03 pm
I was going to suggest seminar and BYA as well. My information is not super recent but from what I know those seminaries fit your criteria.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:15 pm
You really need to provide more information. What does “average to good” mean in terms of her gpa?
What type of BY does she attend?
People can’t advise blindly, there’s a huge range of seminaries out there.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:22 pm
PM. Fox .
She knows a tremendous amount about this

teachkids

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:38 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
PM. Fox .

I feel like this is always the answer no matter the question.

cnc

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:45 pm
teachkids wrote:
I feel like this is always the answer no matter the question.

Totally!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:39 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
PM. Fox .

I thought Fox was pretty vehemently opposed to the notion universally attending seminary. IIRC, her daughters didn’t go to Israel.

I’m not BY, so I’m no help. But if your daughter’s school doesn’t have Israel guidance, maybe call other BY schools to see if their Israel guidance office is willing to share a list of seminaries.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:12 pm
Thank you everyone for the info. I live in a small European town and there's not much guidance here when it comes to choosing sems. There are so many bY seminaries and I can't know the difference between them. As well as BYA I've heard these names: bnos Batsheva, bnos Sara, chemdas BY, Hadar, bnos yehudis, mesores rochel, pninim, rinas BY.... And more...!!
I'm baffled and just swimming here. My daughter is solid but has been very sheltered. So I guess she needs more of a homogenous group, if that exists in sem. She wants to be inspired, she's a deep creative thinker, but not a strong personality. She needs a warm place where she won't get lost in the crowd, where she'll be taken notice of even if she's not the life and soul of the party kind of girl.....
Thanks for everyone's help

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:23 pm
perhaps your rabbi and rebbetzin have information about where girls from your community in general and your DD in particular will go and do well

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:29 pm
No, unfortunately they don't otherwise I wouldn't have turned to this forum. Thank you for the ideas but I'm looking for people with experience or knowledge about these seminaries.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for the info. I live in a small European town and there's not much guidance here when it comes to choosing sems. There are so many bY seminaries and I can't know the difference between them. As well as BYA I've heard these names: bnos Batsheva, bnos Sara, chemdas BY, Hadar, bnos yehudis, mesores rochel, pninim, rinas BY.... And more...!!
I'm baffled and just swimming here. My daughter is solid but has been very sheltered. So I guess she needs more of a homogenous group, if that exists in sem. She wants to be inspired, she's a deep creative thinker, but not a strong personality. She needs a warm place where she won't get lost in the crowd, where she'll be taken notice of even if she's not the life and soul of the party kind of girl.....
Thanks for everyone's help

She also wants a place with other girls from small towns. We live in a small community in Europe and my dd just finished seminary and I met two of her friends. They are also from small communities. (in the USA not Europe but my dd is a native english speaker). I am not from a small city but in seminary I found it easier to relate to the OOT american girls then the NY-ers, who tended to have tons of friends already and didn't need more.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:43 pm
Try looking into BYA.
Had 15 Europeans there my year.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:11 pm
can you call your old seminary and ask them for input?

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:44 pm
Binas sounds like it might be a good fit for your daughter. Very warm, small enough that there is individual attention. They have many out of town girls.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics