Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbos Clothes - How long to keep?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:57 pm
That's my point, I see suits in department stores, but I read on imamother that "no one" wears them anymore. I wonder to myself why would a frum woman not wear something that is sold in department stores and is actually tznius as in made to worn without a shell? Hence my post. Well I have deconstructed my suits to wear them as separates, and I still think they look better than most of things that they sell nowadays. For one thing, some are *gasp* made in the USA-- not in some country where the poor seamstress is making $.50/hr.

All right, I will continue to wear what I like, I just haven't still figured out why other people dont see how a nicely fitted jacket can skim over you and give a nice shape without lumps. (Sleeveless dresses over tight shells tend to highlight lumps in the over 40 crowd unless you are not only slender but also very fit.)

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:11 pm
zaq wrote:
True, true. So liberating. Although I finally ditched those football-shouldered suits from the eighties...I don't mind being years out of date, but when the clothes are old enough to have adult children, it's probably time to say sayonara.

I went thrifting with my sister and we found a very expensive suit from the 80's, new with the original $$$$ price tags, and nobody wanted it.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:16 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
That's my point, I see suits in department stores, but I read on imamother that "no one" wears them anymore. I wonder to myself why would a frum woman not wear something that is sold in department stores and is actually tznius as in made to worn without a shell? Hence my post. Well I have deconstructed my suits to wear them as separates, and I still think they look better than most of things that they sell nowadays. For one thing, some are *gasp* made in the USA-- not in some country where the poor seamstress is making $.50/hr.

All right, I will continue to wear what I like, I just haven't still figured out why other people dont see how a nicely fitted jacket can skim over you and give a nice shape without lumps. (Sleeveless dresses over tight shells tend to highlight lumps in the over 40 crowd unless you are not only slender but also very fit.)

Many women wear suits in the business world, but would not wear them to shul/church/etc.

I’m not a big suit person anymore, but I do wear blazers regularly.

aliavi

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:39 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
What about suit jackets? Does anyone besides me wear them anymore? A few women in my shul do, but are we all hicks? I love the heft of a well-fitted jacket that falls to high hip which allows me to have a shape without looking too young. I feel the sleeveless dress with shell look is best left for the under 40 crowd. I have yet to find a long sleeve dress I like, and have always felt that a two piece look is more flattering on me.

I will grant you that in the word of another some of my clothes I bought when many of you were in kindergarten and I still wear them. How do I rate in the fashion world? Am I a justifiable embarrassment to my daughters?

If it’s your signature style and in a trendy cut then a blazer could work. Otherwise, no. I parted with my last blazers a year ago. FWIW I’m a business professional.

I agree about the shells and sleeveless look. How about a cardigan? If that doesn’t work, stick with skirt and blouse instead of a dress.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sometimes I just wear the outfit once a year. I was by a kiddush recently and a women told me “I have the same dress as you but I don’t wear it anymore since I got it last year.”

How tactless and tasteless.
To your original question, I understand you, I also somehow accumulated a lot of Shabbat clothes.
I agree with the other posters who have said, if you wear the clothes and like how they look on you keep them. If you haven't been wearing the outfits in a while (a year or so) and don't really feel you miss them give them away, especially if they are nice and in good condition. You will make other women very happy (and hopefully miss tactless from your shul doesn't go near them).
And you know what? Even if you do wear these outfits a lot but have had them forever and you can afford it and just feel like buying new stuff and giving these away - that's perfectly fine. There is no rule that you have to keep an outfit as long as it fits. It's perfectly fine to spend money on buying a new outfit if you can afford it and give the older ones away.
Maybe you have a relative or friend who would appreciate a gift of nice shabbat clothes? Otherwise, there must be a gmach near you, it would be a great chessed to share your old clothes forward.

Another mom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sometimes I just wear the outfit once a year. I was by a kiddush recently and a women told me “I have the same dress as you but I don’t wear it anymore since I got it last year.”

That's a disgusting comment! I have stuff from quite a few years ago - so what? You can be mean back and say "Sorry that it doesn't fit you anymore" but I know you won't (me neither Smile)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics