Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Complicated boys name - non Jewish relatives, purim...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:51 am
We lost two close relatives recently (a father and grandfather), and are due to have a baby boy around purim time (yes, I know the gender early). The relatives names' mean 'peace' and 'garden' respectively. I want to give this boy a meaningful name - I was thinking something to do with 'father', 'peace', and/or 'comfort', but also don't want to ignore that they will be born in a happy time of year. Any ideas? We give two names.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:57 am
Avinoam?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:01 am
Some good ideas here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....35494

Shalom Simcha
Shalom Binyamin
Moshe Nachum
Asher Shalom

salt

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:04 am
Avshalom - or maybe the connotations from Tanach not positive enough.
Shalom Menachem.
Mordechai Shalom (for Purim).
Menachem Mordechai (nice alliteration).
Simcha Shalom.

Names meaning father:
Avichai.
Aviel.
Yoav.
Avishai.

Names for Purim:
Or.
Simcha.
Sasson.

ps. what name means 'garden'?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:32 am
Bustanay
Carmela iirc?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:42 am
Eden Shalom

Miri1

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:59 am
There are I'm sure many creative ways to do it. For example, you don't need to name the specific noun (eg garden), but something that associates with it ("Alon" for example, is an oak, which is associated with strength and endurance.... just as an example)

Perhaps a good idea to speak to a Rav about how / whether to name after two people at once.

flower2

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:19 pm
Miri1 wrote:
There are I'm sure many creative ways to do it. For example, you don't need to name the specific noun (eg garden), but something that associates with it ("Alon" for example, is an oak, which is associated with strength and endurance.... just as an example)

Perhaps a good idea to speak to a Rav about how / whether to name after two people at once.

And also if ok to name after non Jewish relative?! (Per your thread title)

agreer

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 3:59 pm
Please don't name your kid Avshalom. Avshalom was a rasha.

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:44 pm
I think Shlomo also means peace, if that's something you'd be interested in. Maybe do English names that honor the relatives with names like Shalom and Shlomo as Hebrew names ?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:13 pm
nchr wrote:
I think Shlomo also means peace, if that's something you'd be interested in. Maybe do English names that honor the relatives with names like Shalom and Shlomo as Hebrew names ?

Shlomo = His peace --Melech she'hashalom shelo

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:48 pm
flower2 wrote:

Why wouldn't you be able to name after a non Jewish relative? Weird... She's giving the kid a Hebrew name not naming him Crhistian or her Grace.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:28 pm
Mordechai
Ilan tree for garden

flower2

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Why wouldn't you be able to name after a non Jewish relative? Weird... She's giving the kid a Hebrew name not naming him Crhistian or her Grace.

Naming after someone is a connection for the neshama- not something you would want connected w someone not Jewish (not that it even could be as far as I understand...)

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:43 pm
You can always give them a legal name after the non-Jewish relative.
I.e.-Shalom Mordechai Cohen
and make his legal name Paxton Forest Cohen

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:37 am
OK I am obviously NOT trying to name after a non-Jewish relative the same way as one would after a Jewish person. BUT we have both gone through massive losses and want to represent it somehow. Just because they weren't Jewish doesn't mean they didn't matter to us and we didn't feel the loss.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:49 am
You might also take the letters of the English names -- some, or all -- and see if any anagrams with those sounds come to mind.

For instance, if their actual names were Peace and Garden, you might say that Mordechai has the R, D, C, A, and Y (long E) sounds from those names.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:46 am
flower2 wrote:

OP, I hope you've had a mentor all along, you've probably had a lot of questions along the way. And yes, this is one. I would guess that if it's important for you to honor these relatives, maybe you can get away with using a legal name or an initial, something peripheral rather than direct.
OTOH, your rav might surprise you and tell you to name directly. But you will have a lot of menuchas hanefesh if you ask. And thanks to this list, you can tell the rav that certain names really appeal to you; after all, you have the ruach hakodesh within the appropriate halachic parameters.
B'shaa tova!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:14 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
OP, I hope you've had a mentor all along, you've probably had a lot of questions along the way. And yes, this is one. I would guess that if it's important for you to honor these relatives, maybe you can get away with using a legal name or an initial, something peripheral rather than direct.
OTOH, your rav might surprise you and tell you to name directly. But you will have a lot of menuchas hanefesh if you ask. And thanks to this list, you can tell the rav that certain names really appeal to you; after all, you have the ruach hakodesh within the appropriate halachic parameters.
B'shaa tova!

If I'm not giving their secular names, how am I naming after them directly anyway? It's just a gesture. And they're good people. Why can't I give a small nod to the good non Jews who I wouldn't be here without?

Miri1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:22 pm
Questions for the Rabbi aside...
Mordechai is associated with peace , at the end of the Megillah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names