Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
No antivaxers please. Read only if you’re smart about vaxxin
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:01 pm
Thank you!
I don’t want to turn this into a debate. There are enough to go around of those... please keep this respectful and on topic.

My 2 yo with health issues is due for vaccines. I WANT my kid to get it. We’ve had enough hospitalizations for silly viruses, so he can use the protection from these nasty vpds. That said I do want to make sure he’s at his optimal- health wise before we proceed.
What kind of tests can be done? Someone mentioned to me they saw an immunologist for such a situation. Anyone familiar and know what to ask- have a well visit appt this wk so want to discuss with ped.

teachkids

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 6:18 am
Definitely ask the pediatrician. Also ask if it makes more sense to space or get them all in when he is healthy. (My very pro vax Dr actually encourages giving flu and I think it's pnemonia seperately)
Would it be possible to keep him home and away from germs for 2 weeks to let his immune system recoup and then give him all the shots?
Are there vitamins or a specific diet you can stick to, even if it's just sort term, to build it up? (Definitely decrease sugar for the week before)

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 6:29 am
My kids are healthy kids bh. But I give then clean healthy foods and avoid sugar and junk a lot more right before and after vaccinating. I also give a homeopathic remedy called "Thuja" and one vaccine at a time.

RS. GL.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:07 am
I gave one at a time. It definitely meant more doctor's visits which was annoying but it was worth it when my child had a scary reaction to a vaccine and and we were able to pinpoint exactly which one. We held off on vaccinating for a few years as per medical advice (I'm not anti-vax, my other kids were/are fully immunized) and then gave the others one at a time. The Dr. still won't give that one (MMR) but titers showed him fully immune to all of those so we're not concerned.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:14 am
If you're looking for assistance in getting your child healthy enough to receive the vaccines, talk to your pediatrician for advice and perhaps also a nutritionist or even better a licensed naturopathic doctor. The latter two are more trained in diet and prevention than MDs are, NDs in particular trained in natural ways to boost immunity through diet, specific vitamins, herbs, etc. (NDs are not by definition anti-vax, contrary to popular thought.)
You mentioned seeing an immunologist- that would be the route to take if you and your pediatrician are concerned that your child chv"s has an immune disorder contributing to your DC being frequently ill.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:55 am
An allergist or immunologist can check for allergens that can make kids sick. It's a series of skin tests and food challenges.
I don't think that you have to spend money on alternative medicine practioners to improve anyone's diet. There is lots of that info out there for free, nor would it be wise to give any substances that are advertised to improve the immune system.
Little kids are picky eaters so you sometimes have to pick the best of the worst but if the kid is allergic to something, he could have skin, digestive, or respiratory symptoms.
Going to NDs for diet advice probably won't hurt anyone but herbs and supplements could have side effects. NDs can be certified by a private company but I don't know if there is state licensure.

mammala120

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
My kids are healthy kids bh. But I give then clean healthy foods and avoid sugar and junk a lot more right before and after vaccinating. I also give a homeopathic remedy called "Thuja" and one vaccine at a time.

RS. GL.

Please elaborate more on the homeopathic Thujah I heard of it but never used it. How is it supposed to help and how do you give it. When do you give it? Thankyou

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:04 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
If you're looking for assistance in getting your child healthy enough to receive the vaccines, talk to your pediatrician for advice and perhaps also a nutritionist or even better a licensed naturopathic doctor. The latter two are more trained in diet and prevention than MDs are, NDs in particular trained in natural ways to boost immunity through diet, specific vitamins, herbs, etc. (NDs are not by definition anti-vax, contrary to popular thought.)
You mentioned seeing an immunologist- that would be the route to take if you and your pediatrician are concerned that your child chv"s has an immune disorder contributing to your DC being frequently ill.

He is somewhat immunocompromised that’s why he’s getting sick so often. Only live vaccines are contraindicated but he already got those. Thank for suggestions, I’ll look into it though he’s not allowed many of the immune boosters as they contain echinacea and some other ing interacting with meds.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:22 pm
teachkids wrote:
Definitely ask the pediatrician. Also ask if it makes more sense to space or get them all in when he is healthy. (My very pro vax Dr actually encourages giving flu and I think it's pnemonia seperately)
Would it be possible to keep him home and away from germs for 2 weeks to let his immune system recoup and then give him all the shots?
Are there vitamins or a specific diet you can stick to, even if it's just sort term, to build it up? (Definitely decrease sugar for the week before)

Hi, so he’s home but I guess picks up all these bugs from sibling carriers...
he gets probiotics and his diet doesn’t consist of much sugar.
I had already talked to the Dr once abt it and she said one vaccine is not a rush, then he needs flu and Pneumovax and so far flu wasnt in in yet, so I guess now we’re mostly looking at Pneumovax.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:27 pm
There are detox protocols you can put your child on leading up to the vaccines and afterwards. The one I used has Fiji water, blueberry powder, vitamin C, lycopene, setria glutathione, omega 3, melatonin, alpha-lipoid acid. Also heard vitamin A is good. You can run them all past your doctor to check there are no contraindications.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:11 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I don't think that you have to spend money on alternative medicine practioners to improve anyone's diet. There is lots of that info out there for free, nor would it be wise to give any substances that are advertised to improve the immune system.

Going to NDs for diet advice probably won't hurt anyone but herbs and supplements could have side effects. NDs can be certified by a private company but I don't know if there is state licensure.

Hi southernbubby, I want to respectfully correct some things you stated. There definitely is state licensure for NDs and that is why I wrote "licensed." However not every state does license this field so you have to check the regulations in your own state. The AANP is a good resource in North America for which states license and which do not, www.naturopathic.org and then one could look up the naturopathic state association for their locale. (The NYANP for ex.) There is no such thing as regulated certifications by a private company. If an ND has a certificate rather than a license, that is a practitioner to avoid as it means they did an online course or correspondence course- rather than a 4-year doctoral level education at a brick-and-mortar naturopathic medical school.
Yes herbs and supplements can have side effects (though generally IME not nearly as many as occurs with rx and OTC medications) and that is specifically why consumers should indeed spend money to see a qualified practitioner who attended school to learn about them and not get the info online or from, for example, health food store employees.
Sorry OP I know that's off topic but I wanted to clarify that misinformation. Southernbubby I know your intentions are good and appreciate your posts in general, I'm not trying to pick on you or pick a fight.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:52 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
There are detox protocols you can put your child on leading up to the vaccines and afterwards. The one I used has Fiji water, blueberry powder, vitamin C, lycopene, setria glutathione, omega 3, melatonin, alpha-lipoid acid. Also heard vitamin A is good. You can run them all past your doctor to check there are no contraindications.

Cool!
Can you share who helped you come up with the protocol?
My ped is very open to holistic medicine (though she gave me a very cute rundown once on what we shouldn't try & more so on not needing to rob a bank lol)
This kid can f'sure use a detox after all the heavy duty antibiotics, steroids and other major toxic drugs injected in him daily...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:58 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Hi southernbubby, I want to respectfully correct some things you stated. There definitely is state licensure for NDs and that is why I wrote "licensed." However not every state does license this field so you have to check the regulations in your own state. The AANP is a good resource in North America for which states license and which do not, www.naturopathic.org and then one could look up the naturopathic state association for their locale. (The NYANP for ex.) There is no such thing as regulated certifications by a private company. If an ND has a certificate rather than a license, that is a practitioner to avoid as it means they did an online course or correspondence course- rather than a 4-year doctoral level education at a brick-and-mortar naturopathic medical school.
Yes herbs and supplements can have side effects (though generally IME not nearly as many as occurs with rx and OTC medications) and that is specifically why consumers should indeed spend money to see a qualified practitioner who attended school to learn about them and not get the info online or from, for example, health food store employees.
Sorry OP I know that's off topic but I wanted to clarify that misinformation. Southernbubby I know your intentions are good and appreciate your posts in general, I'm not trying to pick on you or pick a fight.

No worries. very interesting helpful info actually! (not going off topic I specifically meant it starting to look like all the other vax threads)
Do you have personal recommendations for a good ND? (don't want to disclose info here, but broadly speaking- within the tristate area)

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cool!
Can you share who helped you come up with the protocol?
My ped is very open to holistic medicine (though she gave me a very cute rundown once on what we shouldn't try & more so on not needing to rob a bank lol)
This kid can f'sure use a detox after all the heavy duty antibiotics, steroids and other major toxic drugs injected in him daily...

Please PM me or set up an email to message me and I’ll tell you all about it - the place where I got it from is too self-identifying.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:10 pm
sarahmalka wrote:

I wonder if they are licensed in NY because one of the grocery handout ad books had an ad for naturopath certification that said it gave 270 hours of study that could be completed in 6 months. That seems to be a bit scant for opening a practice.
One of my children went to someone like that who prescribed a herb called "cats claw" that destroyed her platelets and she woke up with bruises all over so we haven't had the best experience.

ETA: there is no state licensure in NY for NDs but there are in CT and 21 other states.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:19 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I wonder if they are licensed in NY because one of the grocery handout ad books had an ad for naturopath certification that said it gave 270 hours of study that could be completed in 6 months. That seems to be a bit scant for opening a practice.
One of my children went to someone like that who prescribed a herb called "cats claw" that destroyed her platelets and she woke up with bruises all over so we haven't had the best experience.

I saw stars when I saw that ad Banging head

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:14 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I saw stars when I saw that ad Banging head

Look up a former ND, now scientist and blogger named Britt Hermes. She was a graduate of one of the seven colleges in the US that trains NDs.

Last edited by southernbubby on Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:19 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Look up a former ND, now scientist and blogger named Britt Hermes. She was a graduate of one of the seven colleges in the US that trains NDs.

She’s good?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:20 pm
southernbubby wrote:

A naturopathic doctor was my pathway to motherhood.

Its not all good or all bad.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s good?
Do you mind editing your post where you quoted me to remove the small script? Thank you

She warns about the downside of naturopathic medicine and left the field after she discovered illegal drugs being used to treat cancer.
Where do you live? That will have an effect on who you can take him to. There are MDs that also prescribe alternatives and have holistic approaches. There is a frum chiropractor here in Monsey who publishes a weekly health column in The Front Page magazine (grocery freebie). Chiropractors are licensed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics