Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Best mops and brooms. Cleaning tips accepted.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:23 pm
What are the best both mops and brooms for parquet floors and ceramic tiles? I have ceramic in bathrooms and kitchen, and parquet the rest of the house. Brand new construction and want to maintain the best as can be.
Any other tips to maintain a large house appreciated. Coming from a tiny apt going into a large duplex. I'm afraid I'll loose it.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:36 pm
I am not an expert, as I outsource floor cleaning to my cleaning help who comes weekly. But for my ceramic kitchen/bath floor tiles, my cleaning person likes the swifter wipes for when the floor needs light cleaning. Deep cleaning, can't answer that.

As to a broom, I just have a regular broom from target, works fine. Replace it every few years as needed.

jkw

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:14 am
Look at the Libman website. Jewish family started with corn brooms and still make quality stuff.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:55 am
The best broom is a horsehair broom. These aren’t cheap or easy to find but they are sold online. If you hang them up off the floor or store them with the head up, the bristles will not crush or otherwise deform and the broom will last for decades. They are soft, don’t scratch, and pick up dust better than any plastic or straw broom. Mine is almost 40 years old and still works great.

Mops are another story. I find that mops get discontinued all the time. By the time you need to replace the head, you can’t find a refill in the store and are forced to buy a whole new mop. Bed Bath and Beyond is especially guilty of this. IMEvSupermarkets aren't quite so bad and tend to stock the same models for a long time.

Ideally you’d have two mops: a rectangular squeeze-sponge type for large surfaces and a string-type to get into small crevices like the space between the toilet and the wall.

I’m not a fan of Swiffers. They are light and easy to use but I object to the disposable element. I prefer a mop that I can rinse between strokes and discard only when it falls apart after a long, useful life.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:38 am
zaq wrote:
The best broom is a horsehair broom. These aren’t cheap or easy to find but they are sold online. If you hang them up off the floor or store them with the head up, the bristles will not crush or otherwise deform and the broom will last for decades. They are soft, don’t scratch, and pick up dust better than any plastic or straw broom. Mine is almost 40 years old and still works great.

Mops are another story. I find that mops get discontinued all the time. By the time you need to replace the head, you can’t find a refill in the store and are forced to buy a whole new mop. Bed Bath and Beyond is especially guilty of this. IMEvSupermarkets aren't quite so bad and tend to stock the same models for a long time.

Ideally you’d have two mops: a rectangular squeeze-sponge type for large surfaces and a string-type to get into small crevices like the space between the toilet and the wall.

I’m not a fan of Swiffers. They are light and easy to use but I object to the disposable element. I prefer a mop that I can rinse between strokes and discard only when it falls apart after a long, useful life.

Tnx ! Found it on Amazon for $20. Don't find it as an excessive amt to pay for a broom. There are the ones in the UK that I hear go for $40. Ordered 2. One for each floor. Will see how it goes.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:51 am
zaq wrote:

I have an O-cedar mop that would meet your requirements. It has a little compartment where you put in a drop of cleaner plus water. It operates like a water gun - you spray the floor with the trigger as you walk around mopping. The mopping base is machine washable.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:34 am
I only like my rubber broom.

dak11

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:57 am
I have all hardwood floors and I use a cordless vac and cordless mop. I love it. Here's what I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightwe.....r=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell.....r=8-9

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:08 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have an O-cedar mop that would meet your requirements. It has a little compartment where you put in a drop of cleaner plus water. It operates like a water gun - you spray the floor with the trigger as you walk around mopping. The mopping base is machine washable.

Are you happy with it?
Something like this?
O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0.....YRTWK

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:51 am
For ceramic, I love my Shark steamer.
I have tried so many kinds of mops, but all fall short one way or another.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:01 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Are you happy with it?
Something like this?
O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0.....YRTWK

Yes that's it! I am very happy with it. It does a great job on my ceramic tile. I have it for two years already, and it's going strong....

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:14 am
I have a broom handle from Home Depot that has interchangeable heads. Its fantastic. I find that so many brooms are super flimsy. https://www.swoptcleaning.com/shop/#brooms.

For a mop, I like the bona with reusable pads that I wash. Its much sturdier then a swiffer and less wasteful to wash a few pads.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yes that's it! I am very happy with it. It does a great job on my ceramic tile. I have it for two years already, and it's going strong....

Sounds good. I'm just wondering how it works if I use different cleaning solutions for different types of floors. Is it easily refillable? How would I do that?

azoygeshmak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:03 pm
I tried about a thousand things. Best were 1) regular spray mop with disposable Shark sanitizing pads, plus carpet sweeper 2) robot vac with mopping function 3) Hizero mop which is like a vacuum and an electric mop all in one.

But I'm lazy want to do as little as possible for things to be clean rather than gross.

In Israel, everyone is obsessed with sponga, and I'm sort of curious to figure out what that is, and whether it could be used in America.

tweety1

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:08 pm
azoygeshmak wrote:
I tried about a thousand things. Best were 1) regular spray mop with disposable Shark sanitizing pads, plus carpet sweeper 2) robot vac with mopping function 3) Hizero mop which is like a vacuum and an electric mop all in one.

But I'm lazy want to do as little as possible for things to be clean rather than gross.

In Israel, everyone is obsessed with sponga, and I'm sort of curious to figure out what that is, and whether it could be used in America.

Sponga would be very hard to use in the USA cuz in Isreal they have drains to push all the water down in the kitchen. It's great if it can be done. I watched it a few times. Comes out sparkling clean.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:13 pm
Which robot vac & mop did you like azoygeshmak?

esther11

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:49 pm
I love my cuban mop and cloths on our tile floor. It’s a simple t shaped stick with cloths that you throw in the laundry between uses. Where I live you can buy them for just a couple dollars from Walmart. Here’s a link on amazon (but it’s obviously more expensive when you need to ship it):

https://www.amazon.com/IMUSA-I.....psc=1

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:52 pm
That's the same idea, to start with, as a sponja stick, but without the squeegee that the sponja stick has to "scrape" the water off the floor...

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:42 pm
my favorite is the miracle mop with removable shmatas. I find that it's a more hygienic option than the traditional mop, as the shmatas could be washed in the machine, and you don't have t worry about where to put the soaking wet mop. I also love the rubber brooms, the pick up more dust etc. both these products are avaioable in the local Jewish stores in my neighborhood.

azoygeshmak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Which robot vac & mop did you like azoygeshmak?

Ra_Mom I had this one (Ecovacs Deebot D45) for 3 years and loved it. I would run it with a wet mopping pad and/or spray the floors with cleaner before running it with a dry mopping pad. Barely any effort was involved to keep the floors clean which was a mechaye.

It finally gave out on me and I replaced it with a much fancier one, the Roborock S5, which I was able to find at a big discount BH. I actually haven't set it up nor used it yet for various reasons but I'm really looking forward to going back to that routine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry