Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher in the Maldives

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 12:58 pm
I’m looking into a vacation in the Maldives, has anyone got any experience?
What do I do about food? Is there any way to get kosher food there?
Which island is the best to stay at?
What are the best activities to do there?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 1:16 pm
Hi you can't get kosher in the Maldives. You have to vring your own food and the kitchen is very accommodating, they will store it in their freezer, warm it up and sometimes serve it on brand new plates. The W maldives has kosher guests on a regular basis and have kosher utensils and supplies (not sure exactly what)stored separately. Email the chef of any hotel you choose they will try to accommodate you. Regarding activities , choose a hotel tha offers various activities, you don't go off your island, so whatever they offer is what you have. I can't tell you what island is best, it's not about the island it's about the hotel, choose the hotel based on price and what they offer. Good luck

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 2:47 pm
Are all hotels as pricy as the W?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 2:50 pm
No, you can get cheaper ones. Check out they are not too far by sea plane, it's not such a pleasant ride, some are like 1.5 hours away. Just to let you know the sea plane is $250 pp per way

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 2:54 pm
And the W you don’t need a sea plane?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 3:32 pm
You do, just saying when looking for cheaper options, see how far away it is. Some known chain hotels, can't remember specifics are near enough to the airport that you can go by boat

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2019, 10:51 pm
Which airlines did you trace with? I see most of them stop in Arabic countries
Also around how many days do people usually stay there?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:46 am
We traveled with Turkish. About length of stay it depends if you want to stay for Shabbos, we didn't, as didn't a lot of ppl who I know who went. We can't from Europe so travel wasn't as long as if you come from US, in the winter we could leave motzsi Shabbos, depends where you coming from. 4/5 days was enough. Some people combine with beijing, Singapore or Hong Kong for Shabbos

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:32 pm
https://forums.dansdeals.com/I.....937.0

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:01 pm
FYI Maldives is a fully Muslim country and frankly after going and sitting in the airport I vowed to not return . The flight when they said “tefillas haderech” in Arabic freaked both me and my husband out and we both said we were crazy to travel there.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 8:36 pm
It is a Muslim country, but those who travel to the high-end resort islands have no interaction with the rest of the country. You land in their airport (MLE) and are promptly whisked off in a private plane or boat to your island, which then returns you to their airport for your flight home. Other than not bringing in alcohol, its Muslim status won't affect your trip in any way.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:30 am
What is the estimated cost of such a trip? (Airfare, avg hotel stay, hotel importing food and attractions)

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:51 am
A lot! Most of the frum travelers I know who've gone there have paid for airfare and hotel with points. If not, you're looking at expensive flights, really expensive lodging, and pricy activities (though you don't need to do them, as many people are content to just relax at their lodging - on the beach, snorkeling in the area, etc., and some of the nicer properties include some basic watersports for free. But scuba diving (if you're certified), boating outings, etc., will cost a lot.

And the resorts don't provide kosher food; you have to bring your own, though they will usually be accommodating in terms of warming it up for you in their ovens if it's double wrapped, and may be willing to arrange new utensils for you. If you find one that imports kosher food from a place like Australia, it will likely cost you an arm and a leg.

If you can pay for getting there and staying there with points, and bring your own food and maybe splurge on 1-2 outings, it can be an amazingly memorable and reasonably-priced romantic getaway. But if you're paying for it all out of pocket, it's one of the most exorbitant luxury destinations in the world, and you'll need deep pockets to afford it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics