Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Book to help my secular sisters become religious
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:01 pm
Hi
I am a BT and have 2 secular sisters. They have expressed some interest in religion. I am looking for the perfect book that will inspire them to start keeping a few basic mitzvahs. Or Im looking for any ideas how to help them get their feet wet and try to change. I already tried hosting them for Shabbos, buying them books about science & torah, garden of emuna, the gateway to happiness, rabbi mizrahis new book. I am out of ideas! One sister wans to get married soon also and I think if she meets a nice frum man, she will change. Any help is appreciated!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:06 pm
Delete

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:06 pm
what about something by sara yocheved rigler? I find her books to be very inspiring. Do they like reading bios? Holy Woman is amazing, but really, any of her books. They're not dafka kiruv books but they could plant seeds.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:33 pm
What inspired you? Was it a book or was it something else?

Everyone is different. If there were one perfect book, everyone would be religious by now.

I'd suggest something by Dennis Prager or Joseph Telushkin. They are informative without lecturing.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 3:23 pm
Anything Jungreis imo. Holy woman. But best exemple is living a happy life Very Happy

jade

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:04 pm
What are your sisters like? Some
books that would be great for one type of person can actually push someone else away.

Bruria

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:33 pm
Even if you find good books, I noticed that what inspires people the most is having a fun beautiful Shabbat experience, with lots of interesting people, good food, welcoming atmosphere. Smile
They usually want more!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:34 pm
Whats jungreis?
They are very "millenial" always on the cell phone, social media, lazy, entitled, "give me" attitude. One is a social worker and Im trying to find her a job in a frum setting. The other is a news reporter, I think they are both very lonely and depressed.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:40 pm
Bruria wrote:
Even if you find good books, I noticed that what inspires people the most is having a fun beautiful Shabbat experience, with lots of interesting people, good food, welcoming atmosphere. Smile
They usually want more!

Exactly. I don't think people become Frum because we prove the science is on our side. It's not. I'm not sure people become frum because of inspirational stories because those are cherry picked. I think the motivation is simply being warm, showing kindness and love.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats jungreis?
They are very "millenial" always on the cell phone, social media, lazy, entitled, "give me" attitude. One is a social worker and Im trying to find her a job in a frum setting. The other is a news reporter, I think they are both very lonely and depressed.

Esther Jungreis.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:03 pm
I loved Letters to a Buddhist Jew and Living inspired by rabbi Akiva Tatz. I agree even a great book won't make them become frum.

Laiya

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:10 pm
Maybe the Bamboo Cradle? Very sweet story.

Also, All for the Boss

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:14 pm
Laiya wrote:
Maybe the Bamboo Cradle? Very sweet story.

Also, All for the Boss

Yes, people have been inspired to become frum because of
All for the Boss.

There are books by Rabbi Avigdor Miller that debunks evolution and proves the
Torah is True like "Rejoice O Youth".

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:19 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Yes, people have been inspired to become frum because of
All for the Boss.

There are books by Rabbi Avigdor Miller that debunks evolution and proves the
Torah is True like "Rejoice O Youth".

As an aside R' Miller's books which debunk evolution use the same arguments that 'others' use and are faulty.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:32 pm
Wouldnt trying to connect them to someone really good and caring, who isnt looking for money or fame, work better than any book?

Like offering them some info on a person and saying this person is very happy to talk to you a n y t I m e (although Ive been looking for that for a family member, and Im not sure it even exists, but Im hoping)?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:36 pm
Have they asked you for a book specifically?
Maybe exposure to good role models of religious people would do more. What do you think about asking them if they are interested in Torahmates or a similar program?

chestnut

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:42 pm
Direct them to Jewish young professionals places? BJX if you're in Brooklyn? Ohr Naavah? Just please, no Mizrachi, lest they Google his other pearls of wisdom.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:43 pm
I would avoid R. Avigdor Miller when trying to mekarev a woman.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats jungreis?

Sorry to be blunt, but can’t you think of anything positive to say about them?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:07 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
What inspired you? Was it a book or was it something else?

Everyone is different. If there were one perfect book, everyone would be religious by now.

I'd suggest something by Dennis Prager or Joseph Telushkin. They are informative without lecturing.

I would not get anything by Prager.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics