Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hands "hurt"

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:27 am
This has been going on for years now, my now 7 year-old son complains that his "hands hurt" when he's asked to do chores--he has no problem with building legos, playing sports or a tablet, but his handwriting is very sloppy and he balks at writing a lot and when he does his effort is very *ahem*. Whenever he's asked to "put clothes away"--already sorted and folded, just put it IN THE DRAWER , he claims its "too hard"--to the point of crying. I've had him evaluated for OT when he was 4 when I first started being aware of this problem and there were no delays. I've asked his pediatrician about this and s/he hasn't noticed anything wrong with his hands. He is a "nervous" and "anxious" kid by nature, but I can't figure out why he would say "my hands hurt" as much as he does, it had been a while since he's said it, but it came up again recently. Any other suggestions to figure out if he's just "crying wolf?"

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:52 am
Get him specifically tested for fine and gross motor control. If he's having trouble with handwriting, get him some adult coloring books and a set of fine tip felt pens.

My hands still hurt when it comes to certain tasks, and I don't think it's my attitude. Handwriting is still painful, printing is a bit easier, typing is best. Washing dishes is exhausting, and so is kneading challah.

Other things like sweeping floors, folding towels, and washing windows is much easier.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:11 pm
Does he struggle with executive functioning?

I have a child that needs very step by step instructions or he gets very overwhelmed and gets testy or I find him in a corner reading a book. I cant tell him to put away his laundry or set the table. It needs to be first put out the plates, now get the forks, then the spoons etc.

Your son may find the tasks to vague but does not have the words to express himself properly.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:27 pm
Ask your pediatrician about the Solgar supplement shellfish free Glucosamine MSM. I gave to a DS who was also an anxious type with popping joints and hand pain. See if the pediatrician is okay with THC free hemp balm.

flmommy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:29 pm
Get an OT assessment just to make sure all good

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 3:06 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Does he struggle with executive functioning?

I have a child that needs very step by step instructions or he gets very overwhelmed and gets testy or I find him in a corner reading a book. I cant tell him to put away his laundry or set the table. It needs to be first put out the plates, now get the forks, then the spoons etc.

Your son may find the tasks to vague but does not have the words to express himself properly.

He does, but even when I go VERY step-by-step he has a meltdown. I told him to put the already folded pants in the drawer--meltdown.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 3:16 pm
Some kids have a very low frustration tolerance. At least mine does. I am planning on having work on this in therapy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children