Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What does everyone do?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:54 pm
In a similar boat, though not in NJ. Maybe you can ask for them to cover an expense you have instead? Something like gas/other transportation to get to work, or something else that is directly related to your being a working mom (such as a stipend for cleaning help). That may need to be reported, but I don't think it affects eligibility.
Not sure I'm right, but its worth a try.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 6:59 pm
As someone else said, don’t look for a way out of it, look for a way to get through it and come out on the other side, able to pay your bills. When you start out on a low salary your children can be eligible and the adults, as long as they’re healthy, can be in cheaper plans. The longer you stay with a company your earning potential grows, so hopefully by the time your children are kicked off you’re making enough to cover the cost of insurance. It only gets harder to take multiple children off JerseyCare, rather deal with it while your family is still small.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:15 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I've been in this situation - live in Lakewood too. It can get frustrating when you look around and it seems like everyone is on programs and you're not. OP, the only way out of this rut (and as glorious as it looks now, it IS a rut!) is through it. If you don't start now, you'll never get out of this. My advice? Do it!

Yes, insurance is a fortune, but like others said your kids will be covered for a long time even when you start making more and in the beginning Obamacare offers nice subsidies.

Hatzlacha!

(Oh, and don't get the cheating route - nothing built on sheker can stand.)

I pretty much agree with everything you said. You kinda lost me on the end there. What do you mean "nothing built on sheker can stand"?

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:23 pm
You might be surprised at what insurance costs if your income is not high because there are significant subsidies for premiums if you purchase through the Exchange - I.e. Obamacare. Depending on your income, the silver tier can be especially affordable because certain costs beyond the premium are also subsidized. You should find a good insurance broker who can go over all the plans with you and run the premiums.

If you are young, the bronze plans have premiums that are relatively low. The deductible is high but if you are a healthy person it wouldn't really matter because you would only be going to the doctor for a well checkup. Of course there is pregnancies but you can run the figures and see what makes sense economically. At least with the bronze plan you would be covered for real medical emergencies.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:05 pm
Welcome to the world of poor middle class!
Same here, not eligible for Jersey care or anything else for that matter. Just kids are eligible for Jersey care so at least that!
I used to buy plans thru Obama Care/Marketplace for myself and husband.
Another option is Liberty Healthshare/Refuah, which many ppl are happy with.
Or, if your company provides insurance, even if you have to pay, but if it's before taxes, it's still cheaper than purchasing a plan privately.
yes, it's hard to be in this situation but what's the alternative?
Also, I fully agree, DO NOT STEAL OR LIE! NOTHING good will ever come from it!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything you said. You kinda lost me on the end there. What do you mean "nothing built on sheker can stand"?
“sheker ain lo raglayim “

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:14 pm
I don't know how old your child is but sometimes your work can pay your child's school tuition from your salary, thus lowering your income.

Or just have a few more kids and you'll be eligible for everything Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics