Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Book to help my secular sisters become religious
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:31 pm
I liked reading Reb Jungries books. She is down to earth and loving.

nechamashifra

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They are very "millenial" always on the cell phone, social media, lazy, entitled, "give me" attitude. One is a social worker and Im trying to find her a job in a frum setting. The other is a news reporter, I think they are both very lonely and depressed.

wow! I don't think you should try to "help" them at all. If you want to teach anything to anyone, you have to love them first and you don't sound like you have a very high opinion of them.

thegiver

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:00 pm
Akiva tatz is cute to listen to because his awesome accent

Rabbi jonathan rietti is also funny

Also rabbi doniek katz from australia is rly funny to listen to but these are all shiurim

Im obsessed with rabbi jonathan saks radical then radical now but I think thats for a more academic audience. It gives orthodoxy a context. Worth looking at before giving to sisters.

If they can handle halacha aryeh kaplans handbook of jewish thought.

Or maybe the cute little askmoses books.

Not a frum bookbut one that encourages ppl to lookfor meaning: mans search for meaning by victor frankl

Stories of tzaddikim

The middash says made me frum. Combined with influence of good friends

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:01 pm
Email them awesome cute stories of tzadikim like those published on ascent of safed website.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:34 pm
Torah Anytime has 1-5 minute clips of inspirational stories. They’re short and interesting. There is a whatsapp group that posts them daily.

jade

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:45 pm
OP, obviously we are not seeing the whole picture so the advice we give is limited. But your last post makes it seem as if you really don't think highly of them. Are you hoping becoming frum will fix their personalities? because this attitude will definitely come through.

Even if they have an interest now, it's pretty easy to put someone off with the wrong word or attitude. I agree with other posters that giving them a book is not as good as putting them in touch with someone who can discuss things with them in an accessible way, without condescension.
To do this, you should ideally understand what matters to your sisters, what deeper need a frum lifestyle can fulfill for them - intellectual, emotional, etc. And your last post makes it seem like you don't think they have any deeper needs. If they really are as you say, the best you can hope for is that they will take on a superficial level of observance without accessing any of the substance.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:47 pm
G-d Winked by Sara Yoheved Rigler

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 6:00 pm
ehh I would caution about any of this... if anyone had gotten me one of those books before I was frum I'd have just dumped it somewhere (I still have a shelf full of inspirational-type books people bought me that I never read). I still would, and I've always been a big reader. You probably know your audience better than we do, but if they're not into inspirational/self-help secular books, this isn't the way to show them frum Judaism.

If you think they're lonely, reach out to spend time with them and work on building/maintaining your relationship. I think more people become frum because of relationships than from proofs or stories. If they're open to it, as other suggested, Partners in Torah or some of the programs for young professionals are good outreach without being too preachy, and the young professional programs might be a good way for them to meet Jewish men.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 7:56 pm
Toward a meaningful life by Simon Jacobson

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:44 pm
Perhaps make frum friends who are normal and have them over the next time your sisters are by you for shabbos. If you happen to have friends who have common interests or professions - sorta show your sisters that people are frum and still normal people.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:49 pm
email info@freejewishbooks.com - just saw an ad in Yaated for this-email them and they may be able to help

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are very "millenial" always on the cell phone, social media, lazy, entitled, "give me" attitude. One is a social worker and Im trying to find her a job in a frum setting. The other is a news reporter, I think they are both very lonely and depressed.

Yikes tell us how you really feel
What makes you think they are lonely and depressed? Because they are single?

byisrael

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:31 am
Living Inspired by Rabbi Akiva Tatz
Constant Connection
Rabbi Noach Weinberg's 48 Ways to Wisdom
Permission to Belive by Rabbi Lawarance (Leib) Kelemen
Permisson to Receieve Rabbi Lawarance (Leib) Kelemen
Gateway to Judaism

If they are at the stage where they are interested in shabbos I recomend
Friday Night and Beyond : The Shabbat Experience - Step-by-Step by Lori Platnik

But really you should try to get them involved in real - life people.
If they are very millenial this may be something they would be interested in this http://www.justifi.org/ - the people who run this have really been able to get millenials involved thru the social justice / travel aspect and there is alot of kiruv happen as well

Also maybe go on a shabbaton with them at a kiruv community organization with them. If you pm with me with a location I can give you more specific info.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:24 am
Toward a Meaningful Life by Simon Jacobson

this is an excellent book for anyone at any stage they are holding all across the spectrum

you sound like such a caring sister!

cuterpatooter

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:12 am
What the angel taught you by Rabbi Noah Weinberg zt"l

I wish it could be required reading for all humans. really relatable and eye-opening. No preaching, about meaningful life in general. Ofc it's also from the father of Aish, Meohr and more organizations.
You can hear his shiurim (which are both simple, brilliant and fun) here.

The Commited Life by R' Esther Jungreis is a beautiful book with a lot of priceless wisdom delivered in story-ish format. She communicates profound messages through describing conversations with different people who sought her advice, from drug addicts, to over ambitious lawyers to grandpas. Rebbetzin Jungreis a"h was such a strong, loving and brave woman. It was published by Harper Collins and is intended for all audiences, and clearly communicates jewish wisdom. I teared up by the intro, just from the way she describes her relationship with her husband. Another must read. Highly recomend The Commited Marriage also, it's less general.

Gateway to Judasim by R' Mordechai Becher is a great book for frum and not-yet-frum alike, goes through Jewish calendar and life cycle, with clear explanation and context to how the they are expereinced. He describes a fictional family's expereice at the end of each section, which gives a full picture to how the chagim and shabbas is actually celebrated.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:09 am
Have your sisters expressed a desire to read books of any kind? I ask because I doubt anyone who lacks interest is going to read a book and be moved by a book. It would be different if someone explicitly was questioning and a book in line with what they were questioning or seeking was on point.

I would think that observation and talks with people who feel peace and contentment in their choices would be the only thing that would move most people to change. I would think that having someone who has made the journey besides yourself would be a tactful way to go - e.g. have them both for dinner where the subject and discussion arises organically.

Frankly if the way you described them is the way you really feel about them and their lives, I really doubt that you are the person to show them the way. I would suspect that they are picking up on your holier than thou judgmental feelings towards their lives. Have they truly opened up and described themselves to you in the way seeking counsel because it doesn't appear that is the dynamic of your relationship.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:05 pm
As someone who became frum before my spouse, I'll tell you the advice that was given to me. Do not give unsolicited religious materials! Unless the person asks and specifically wants to be mekareved, this could backfire. Now, if your sisters are open and asking, given how you described them, I'd choose short inspirational and/or biographical stories or books. Soundbytes may work better depending on their level of engagement and how much they like to read or how much time they have. simpletoremember.com has some awesome audio clips and video clips as well as articles that are short and engaging. Good luck! Good living is the best example, as others have said.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:23 pm
I got an interesting tip from a Kiruv professional. He said, “Give them love. It’s all about the love.”
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics