Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Changing name
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 2:04 am
It's a fad. It won't change anything.
Now if you mean using your Jewish name - kah! Not a name change, it's a return to the real Wink
But yes don't expect even this to be easy especially older relatives. My charedi aunt still uses my civil.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 4:26 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Why allegedly? Has no one seen it? Does it actually exist?

Ok so wrong word Smile
Noone I know has ever seen it, but then again noone I know has ever bothered to look for it.
I guess you never heard of it either! It's not the kind of book or sefer you would see on your father's seforim shelves!

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 5:03 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Ok so wrong word Smile
Noone I know has ever seen it, but then again noone I know has ever bothered to look for it.
I guess you never heard of it either! It's not the kind of book or sefer you would see on your father's seforim shelves!

My fil has a book of English names with their Hebrew spelling. We give English names on birth certificates. But only from that book. I had some more modern names nixed. I wonder if it covers Hebrew names also - I never paid attention.
I think the reason it was really written originally is so that on a get all names are spelled accurately.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 5:28 am
Ok so wrong word Smile

It's called שמות בארץ.
I've seen the list of names though I don't remember them. It seemed idiosyncratic to me. No explanations are given.

dorothy1

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 6:05 am
I know 3 people who changed their names when they went to get a bracha from R Chaim Kaminetzky. It's so hard for me to remember because I grew up with them as Shira and Ilana. (2 shiras, 1 Ilana). But they introduce themselves as Sara and Ahuva, and that's how everyone know them now.

Just curious / R Chaim said Ilana was no good but Ahuva is? I have always wanted more info on this. I would think he would find Ahuva problematic bc there is no mesorah for it (nobody from the year 1800 named Ahuva). I’ve always heard he took issue with Shira “and names like shira” but I never knew what the other names or criteria was....

keym

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 6:08 am
dorothy1 wrote:
Just curious / R Chaim said Ilana was no good but Ahuva is? I have always wanted more info on this. I would think he would find Ahuva problematic bc there is no mesorah for it (nobody from the year 1800 named Ahuva). I’ve always heard he took issue with Shira “and names like shira” but I never knew what the other names or criteria was....

R Chaim Kanievsky has/had a sister Ahuva.
So the name dates back 80 years.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 6:21 am
I have a cousin who always used her English name. When she came back from seminary she tried to get everyone to call her by her Hebrew name. Some do, some don’t. It’s hard. I want to respect her wishes but it’s hard to break a habit

dorothy1

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 6:42 am
keym wrote:
R Chaim Kanievsky has/had a sister Ahuva.
So the name dates back 80 years.

Wow interesting I never knew that

EsaEinai

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 7:47 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Why allegedly? Has no one seen it? Does it actually exist?

The book is called vayikra shmo byisral. It lists all names and talks about them. There are also lists of names that rav chaim holds are “not names”, for whatever reason. Many people were directed to change their name by Rav Chaim and saw huge yeshuos. I myself experienced a revealed miracle. I celebrate my new name because of the yeshua it brought.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:52 pm
Interesting discussion.
I had a friend that changed her name twice, as her parents gave her a pretty embarrassing name she always hated, so she went by a totally different nickname as soon as she was old enough to enforce it. Once legal age, she switched her legal name completely. Everyone accepts it except her parents and one old grandmother.
My husband switched his name because he had the same name as my father. Not actual switch, we just call him by his middle name.
A girl from HS switched her name mid senior year from Shira to a Yiddish name. Most of us tried to call her by her new name.

salt

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:21 am
Ruchel wrote:
It's a fad. It won't change anything.
Now if you mean using your Jewish name - kah! Not a name change, it's a return to the real Wink
But yes don't expect even this to be easy especially older relatives. My charedi aunt still uses my civil.

Not sure what you are calling a fad, but if you're saying name-changing is just a fad - it actually has a source in the Talmud. Masechet Rosh Hashana. There is an opinion that in addtion to the actions that change evil decree : Teshuva, tefilla and tzedaka, there is an opinion that also 'shinui shem' and possibly 'shinui makom' also can change רע הגזרה.
Not just a fad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics