Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
House large enough?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Both points are not necessarily true at all. Generally much bigger houses do have higher utility bills. And cleaning help in the suburbs is much more expensive when compared to Brooklyn for example.

I am in the suburbs. I pay $12 an hour flat. The people moving from Brooklyn are driving the prices higher because they are used to paying more. Labor is generally more expensive in the city because the costs are more.

If you pay $5000 for a car, you may need to be concerned with the costs of getting and keeping that car on the road. If you pay $100,000 grand for a car, this isn't even a discussion in most cases.

It's the ones living beyond their means that can't afford the upkeep.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:15 am
In Bklyn $12 is the minimal price per hr for cleaning help. Many are already taking $15 since minimum wage went up. Before pesach, the new ones want $18-$23. In catskills it might be more like $20 hr because it's hard to find.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:17 am
Is the square footage including the basement? Because my house is 1600 above grade and 1000 below. We have 7 bedrooms. We rent out four.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:20 am
Yes if you have bigger home, you might need more hours of cleaning help so it may cost more, but that's cheaper labor costs.

Same with car services, in Bklyn a local starts from $8 even if it's only few blocks, stops can double the trip price, wheras Upstate you can get locals for $5 for even further distance, but if you don't drive & any destination is far away, you will end up using more car services.

amother
White

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:24 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I am in the suburbs. I pay $12 an hour flat. The people moving from Brooklyn are driving the prices higher because they are used to paying more. Labor is generally more expensive in the city because the costs are more.

If you pay $5000 for a car, you may need to be concerned with the costs of getting and keeping that car on the road. If you pay $100,000 grand for a car, this isn't even a discussion in most cases.

It's the ones living beyond their means that can't afford the upkeep.

You're making a circular argument.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:31 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
You're making a circular argument.

What's the circular argument? The people who own large houses are generally not counting pennies. They aren't worried about upkeep. They are in a different financial class.

Maybe someone was given a large house as a gift, then that is a different story. But most people living in large houses can easily afford to do so.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:53 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
What's the circular argument? The people who own large houses are generally not counting pennies. They aren't worried about upkeep. They are in a different financial class.

Maybe someone was given a large house as a gift, then that is a different story. But most people living in large houses can easily afford to do so.

I am counting pennies. My house is larger than one we could have afforded on the east coast. But we paid way less than one would expect for the size of the house we are in if they were used to east coast prices. I am worried about upkeep. I can't keep my house clean and cannot afford cleaning help. I do pay utilities but it's more (not much, but a little) than people near me with smaller homes.
I don't have a fancy house. And it's definitely not a mansion. But it's spacious, and with that comes extra costs. Which OP just needs to know going in.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:42 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

This is very not true.
Many people buy expensive large homes and then are shocked by the bills.
electricity, heat, cleaning, landscaping can be way more then before. And surprise costs. Many people stretch themselves just for a mortgage.
Some of these 5000 sq ft homes have huge cavernous great rooms and entry ways and balconies that are expensive to keep warm in the winter.
I can easily afford the down payment on an expensive house. But don’t want to be stuck with 14k property tax and triple the utilities I have now.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:49 am
I live in the same area as HY. When we moved here from the east coast we were shown houses that were comparable, possibly a little less in price then what we were leaving. My dh was taking his job with him from NY so his salary was the same. We decided not to buy that type of house and go with something much cheaper. As HY said the houses here are cheaper but I don't think the labor is, if anything it's more. All that is being suggested is that op make sure she looks at "the hidden expenses" especially since sometimes some houses have more then others.

Also, not everyone is interested in having a lot of cleaning help even if they can afford it so she should just be aware that it often means more upkeep. That's all.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:56 am
I pay just a little more in electricity in my 3600 square foot home than I paid 25 years ago for my 800 square foot apartment. My water bill was cut by half because it was a different water company. I pay an association fee which is about the same as I was paying on a much smaller house. My taxes are more than I paid in a smaller house, but not as much more as you might think (taxes are expensive for everyone in my area).

I was in a two bedroom tiny bungalow this summer and I did not find that I had so much less cleaning to do - I had to wash down the bathroom twice a day while here I clean my nice new bathrooms only twice a week, the guest bathrooms are closed off. And they're much easier to clean than my old and dinky bungalow bathroom.

I think the biggest expense might be if you move to a neighborhood where everyone has full time cleaning help - then you automatically feel that you must keep up. Or if you move to a new house and want to keep it spotless and pristine at all times. Then yes, you'll need a lot more cleaning help, but that's not inherent in a bigger house necessarily.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that bigger houses are always much more expensive to upkeep.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating